Extractions

A-M

I have CS3 and am wondering how others do extractions ( remove a person or object from a background).

There was another thread started on the same subject today. You can find it here. http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...c=36906&hl=

jennifer, I don't know that anyone can give a hard and fast rule about how far to zoom in to get the details. It really depends on how detailed the area you are working on is and how exact you want the extraction to be. I would say, zoom as far as you need to to get the results you want.

Thanks Pat for directing me to the other thread. It helps a little. I think I just need to spend more time practising.

I use the Extractor tool most of the time, which is under Filter>Extract.

You can also apply a layer mask to your photo (click on the circle in the square at the bottom of your layers pallette -- it's next to the "fx") and using the brush tool, erase and replace areas from your photo (black erases and white replaces). A layer mask is a must, since if you over-erase, you can always just add it back. If you don't use a layer mask and you just erase straight on your photo, you cannot "undo" a mistake easily.

You could also use your magic wand or quick selection tool to select the object you want to isolate and then click Select>Inverse and delete the stuff you don't want. This will work best if there is an obvious contrast between the item you want to extract and the BG.

HTH!

Thanks Jennifer for your reply.

Today I had a play with the Extract tool ( under Filter ) and then used a layer mask to fix up the parts that did not work properly with the extraction. I am happy with the result.

Here is my layout using an old photo of myself.. I extracted me from a photo that included my older sister and brother:

gallery_14380_68_196784.jpg

I have CS3 and am wondering how others do extractions ( remove a person or object from a background).

The Quick Selection tool in CS3 can used to clean up your cutouts

that you do using the lasso tools or the eraser tool.

You zoom in as far as you need to see all the color pixels

surrounding your person or object.

Archived