300 Dpi? 72? Somewhere In Between?

Janean

Newbie just getting started here - wondering what dpi you work in? I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with your digital scrapbook, yeah? Am I sharing it on Facebook or having it printed as a gift? What do you usually do?

You need to work in 300 for printing purposes, but can save an additional copy at 72 for web. 72 dpi looks clear on computer screens, but will look blurry when printed. 300 looks great printed, but is a really large file for web purposes. Hope that helps!

what julie said. All the supplies here are 300 dpi. That means if you open a 12x12 document set to 300 dpi, and you open a 12 x12 scrapgirls paper in your document, they will be the same size.

Hi Janean and welcome! I always make all my digi-scrap documents 300 dpi then "save as" a lower resolution for web publishing. When you "save as" it keeps your original high quality and saves a second copy as a lower resolution. I also save all my .psd files, but move them off my computer drive and onto DVDs when I am finished with them.

72 dpi looks clear on computer screens, but will look blurry when printed. 300 looks great printed, but is a really large file for web purposes.

Yes, I know the difference. I was wondering what most people did. Thank you for the welcome :)

Welcome, Janean! I'm glad you've joined us and are asking questions. Isn't it great to get other people's input? Hope to see you around the message board a lot! We have so much fun here! :P

Hi Janean! You've gotten great advice about the dpi thing already... I would just like to add that it is a good idea to save your layouts as 300 dpi Photoshop files (rather than as jpg), because then if you want to go back in and change things, or copy something you liked to another layout, you still have that flexibility.

Also, when you save to put a layout on the web, first save it as a jpg at 300 dpi. Close it, then open it up again, and then change the image size and resolution. That will prevent having ginormous drop shadows on your web layouts. I think there are specific guidelines on how to do this somewhere here on the MB; maybe someone will come along with a link for you.

And welcome to Scrap Girls, by the way!

Newbie just getting started here - wondering what dpi you work in? I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with your digital scrapbook, yeah? Am I sharing it on Facebook or having it printed as a gift? What do you usually do?

I share my layouts here in the gallery and my blog mainly.

I always start at 300 since all items are 300.

Archived