I Learned This The Hard Way

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded to a 64 bit Vista. I have had a Seagate 750 EHD for auto backup for some time now. However, this EHD is not compatible with Vista!!!

So, I went shopping, found a great deal at Costco for a 1.5 TB EHD (Seagate) and it says right on the box Vista compatible. So we bought it, brought it home, loaded it, and guess what. It does not support 64 bit Vista. Great. The drive works fine, but the software for autobackup does not.

So, I searched around the net, and have discovered that although 64 bit is the way of the future, (or now if your'e running alot programs at once, like I do LOL), there are many software applications that do not work on the 64 bit machine.

I checked the Western Digital Website also, since my next thought was "Fine, I'll just go get a WD EHD", but same story there. The software is not compatible with 64 bit machines.

So, I am returning the new one, even though it's a great deal, on the thought that eventually the software will be compatible. In the meantime, I have gone back to the 750 Seagate, cleaned off the whole thing, and last night dragged and dropped all my stuff back onto it. It will work just fine, I just have to remember to do it manually, and that will be a pain.

So, thought you'd all like to know in case you have a 64 bit machine.

The reason I don't have the 64-bit Vista is that the guy at Dell told me some programs were not compatible with it; when he mentioned PSE as one of them, I quickly made sure to get 32-bit!

I have Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 and a Seagate 750 EHD and they work fine together. So I was curious as to why mine works and yours doesn't. Found out that my Vista is x86 32-bit. I am now using Mozy to back up my system, as it does EHD's. I am still using Carbonite, as I still have 222 days left on my subscription. And I also use my EHD to backup my scrapbooking files and photos. Can't be too careful with backups. So if all three backup systems go belly-up, my scrapping days will be over. And I don't see them crashing, at least not all at once, so I'm safe. Right??????

Just recently bought a laptop, a Toshiba with a 15.4 monitor, 3GB RAM and 500GB HD. My desktop is 500GB HD and 3GB RAM and I have a 17 inch monitor. I plan on using the laptop for when I travel (hopefully to the convention) so I am not going to keep anything on the HD. When I travel and use it for scrapping, I will save stuff on the HD as well as DVD's and then when I get back home, move everything over to my desktop.

I did have some programs that were not compatible with Vista. My Kodak Easy Share photo downloading software didn't work, even after Kodak sent me a new CD with the program on it. I had a couple of scrapping softwares that also did not work: Creating Keepsake is not compatible with Vista and don't know if they plan on revising it. Scrapbook Max! also didn't work with Vista, however, they sent me another disk and it works fine now.

:dancing_penguin:

did you see if there wasnt an update for the program? most programs are made for 32 bit.... BUT most 32 bit programs will work without a problem in 64 bit. when you see programs listed as 32 bit, most of the time theyre just not tested in 64, so they cant claim they work in a 64 OS. when it comes to larger programs like adobe prodcuts id dig a little deeper to make sure. yes 64 bit isnt compatible with PSE, so i say people need to be aware of that.

on my new machine im running 64. all my programs run fine.

ive heard that you can use windows live oncare and schedule a back up just fine in 64.

also im pretty sure acronis prods are compatible.

Amy I have the same problems here. No autobackup with my EHD due to the 64 bit. DH thought he was doing me such a great favor by going as big and bad as he could on my LT. My Palm won't sync, the EHD won't backup on its own. Grr.

And I echo Pat--PSE 7 works fine on my 64 bit.

I have a 64 bit Vista and haven't had any problems using it with any programs, including PSE 7, PSP, Evernote, Extract Now! any of the MS Office, or my EHD. BUT, I don't do auto backup either. It will be interesting to see what Dee has to say about this. I know she has 64 bit also.

We auto backup my dh's 64 bit Vista to our WD Mybook. One thing I have found is there are two levels of Western Digital drives the "essentials" and the "elite" The elite back up just fine as well as being Mac and PC compatible with one drive. A must for me because I use a Mac at the restaurant and a PC at home.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone. All of my other programs work fine. Only the autobackup on the Seagate seems to be the trouble. I searched around the Seagate and WD website, and both are very clear that there is no compatiblilty with the Vista 64 bit. I think I'll check out the WD MyBook elite and see how that goes, like Dee suggested.

Amy my friend, so sorry you had to go through all of this.

I must check which Vista we have but I use Goodsync to synchronise and back up all my stuff to my Western Digital 1T EHD and it works a treat with Vista. you can check it out at www.goodsync.com and see if it can help you.

When I was researching my laptop, we were going to go with a 64-bit machine -- more numbers is better, right? :) Well, I was told that there are few things that are compatable with it, and so we didn't go with the 64-bit. I'm glad we didn't -- but I'm still sorry you're dealing with all this! Good luck in getting everything all worked out -- but I do say, I'm sure that there will be things in the near future that are more and more compatable. You're just a step ahead of everyone! :)

Hi Amy,

I have 64-bit Vista and a Western Digital EHD (500gb book) and it works perfectly. And I know I'm in the minority (to WAY understate it) but I really like Vista. It's working wonderfully on my laptop. The only thing I've had trouble with is a program called NEd that runs Adobe tutorials. And why it doesn't work is over my knowledge level... Otherwise, it's good.

i have vista 64 and no problems..i run lightroom and photoshop , both for 64.... i did have one 3rd party filter, noiseware that doenst work with 64 but it will work with 32 so i use it in ps 32 when i want to use noiseware... on their website they say they are working on making a 64bit version and i would think so are other programs ...eventually anyway

sorry you are having some challenges

Archived