How Do You Use An Ehd?

Per my other (hard drive overload) post today, I think I need to dump a lot of stuff off my computer.

I've deleted what I can, and will have my son defrag when he comes home for the weekend.

So, my question is:

If I move a bunch of papers/elements and maybe photos to my EHD, how do I use them in the future?

Right now everything's nicely tagged and organized on ACDSEE. (Some were moved to the EHD a while ago, and show up as duplicates)

If they're OFF my hard drive, how do I flip through what I've got? I guess this is a workflow question more than anything else.

Again, you all have been wonderful! I appreciate all your input. I'll get this all figured out, I know it!!!

Nancy

PS - Using PSE6 and XP

Nancy...you should be able to find your EHD icon in My Computer. Try double clicking on that icon to open it; or you might have to do a workaround by right-clicking and then select 'open.'

Once you've located your EHD icon and opened it, you can drag and drop any files from your computer to your EHD. It'll start copying files automatically, and then you can delete the files you no longer want on your computer.

But Angie and VaughnD are right......DO NOT try to move your program files or any of your system files. Just use your EHD for your own files, folders, music, videos, scrapbook supplies, pictures, documents, and anything else you make on the computer. Use the ehd for data storage.

Good Luck! I'm unhappy that my new ehd came with software that refuses to die and I have to constantly do a workaround to get behind the software to see my files.

Annie,

You should be able to reformat your EHD to get that software off of there. I am not sure how but I know others have done it.

Nancy,

I am using Picasa 3 to see my files in my EHD. What I do is tell Picasa I want it to show blah blah blah folders from my J drive which is my EHD. You can also go to my computer, click on your EHD Drive and go there. You can also go to My Documents and click on the top folders button and then click on where your EHD is. Thats the way I usually go...via my Documents :D Like I said before its easier for me to have what I want from my EHD loaded into Picasa3 which is a free program (better than ACDsee in my opinion but thats me <grin>) and you can look at what you want to use before you open up PSE :)

As for defragging...you don't have to wait for your son. Just go to start, accessories, system tools and click on Disk Defragmenter. Be aware that it takes several hours for a first time defrag after doing stuff like you did. Just start it and go do something else while it does. It can take up to half a day :D or longer depending on your Hard Drive and how big it is.

So basically, if my EHD is plugged in, the computer will just recognize it as another drive? I can handle that!

I also use Picasa. LOVE it for photos. And I love ACDSEE for the tagging of scrap stuff. Don't use the organizer.

Guess I have my work cut out for me tomorrow. Maybe I'll just move all my photos to the EHD. And yes, they're backed up on CDs and with Carbonite.

Thanks again!

Nancy

VERY IMPORTANT!! If you use ACDSee, and want to keep your tags, make sure you move your files from within ACDSee. To do that, just open your program, and you can move things around in the left hand file structure, which IS your explorer. You can drag and drop, or use the move command toward the top of the view field when you have things open to view.

All you have to do to move things to your new hard drive is to copy and paste or drag and drop. It's just another drive. Nothing too scary. Promise! LOL!

Just whatever you do, do it from within ACDSee, or your tags won't follow.

Also, if you want your data base to point to a different drive, you'll have to go in and change that also. Go to Tools>Options>Database>Database Location. Use the explorer tree there.

The following are detailed instructions on how to get the database moved to the EHD. The second half applies to getting ACDSee to read one database on two computers. A single liscence will allow this. If you are only using it for one computer, just stop after the first part is complete.

The instructions were written by someone else, and I got these off a website. However, I do not remember what or where the website was, so my apologies to the author.

Directions on working on 2 computers with a external hard drive between them:

Important: If you want to share your database between a Vista & XP computers, their is some extra steps that NEED to be done.

1. Place all your digital kits and images on the External Hard Drive (EHD). To do this: How to Move Organized Digital Kits

2. The next step is getting the ACDSee database moved on to your EHD:

3. Exit ACDSee Photo Manager

4. Connect your EHD

5. Open Windows Explorer

6. Browse to this location:

1. In Version 9 on XP: In Windows Explorer go to this location: "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\ACD Systems\Catalogs\90"

2. In Version 10 on XP: In Windows Explorer go to this location: "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\ACD Systems\Catalogs\100"

3. In Version 9 on Vista: Go to this location: My Computer, C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\90

4. In Version 10 on Vista: Go to this location: My Computer, C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\100

5. XP Tips: View your Local Settings Folder (for XP)

6. Vista Tips: How to view your AppData folder on Vista

7. Select the Default folder and choose Edit | Copy (or Ctrl-c)

8. Still in Windows Explorer, browse to the EHD.

9. Make a new folder called ACDSee Database

10. Click on the new folder you just created, and choose Edit | Paste (or Ctrl-v) to copy the Default folder (Database) to the EHD.

11. Start ACDSee Photo Manager (This step is what I call "Pointing to the database")

1. Click on Tools | Options

2. Click on the Database

3. At the end of the path of the database, click on the icon and browse to your EHD. On the EHD select this path: ACDSee Database\Default

12. Restart Photo Manager and make sure your categories are there and you can search for your images and go to file takes you to your files.

13. Close down ACDSee Photo Manager and unplug your EHD. Connect the EHD to the second computer.

14. If BOTH computers are XP, or BOTH are Vista, or the original computer was Vista: then repeat step 11 & 12 on the second computer.

15. If the first computer is XP and the second computer is Vista, then do the following:

1. Close Photo Manager

2. Using Windows Explorer, browse to the EHD:\ACDSee Database folder.

3. Select the Default folder and choose Edit | Copy (or Ctrl-c)

4. Browse to:

1. In Version 9 on Vista: Go to this location: My Computer, C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\90

2. In Version 10 on Vista: Go to this location: My Computer, C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\100

5. Right click on the Default folder and rename the Default folder to Default-old

6. Choose Edit | Paste (or Ctrl-v) to copy in Default folder (Database) from the EHD.

7. Start Photo Manager, make sure your categories are there and you can search.

8. Close Photo Manager

9. Browse to same location on Vista as step #4 above.

10. Select the Default folder and choose Edit | Copy (or Ctrl-c)

11. Browse to the EHD:\ACDSee Database folder.

12. Delete the Default folder here.

13. Choose Edit | Paste (or Ctrl-v) to copy in Default folder (Database) from the Vista computer.

14. Then do steps 11 & 12 above.

15. Lastly, always optimize from the Vista computer!!

Word of Caution: Your database for ACDSee is now stored on EHD. If you start ACDSee and the EHD is disconnected you will receive an error message "Can not connect to database" So always connect the EHD before starting ACDSee Photo Manager.

Good Luck! This worked for me, so I hope it all makes sense to you!

Guest faerywings

Which version of ACDSee PM are you using? If you are using PM 2009, the embed metadata feature is a really nice one!

If you move files outside of PM or your computer crashes- your embedded metadata stays with the files. That way you don't lose any of your tagging.

• 5 months later...

VERY IMPORTANT!! If you use ACDSee, and want to keep your tags, make sure you move your files from within ACDSee. To do that, just open your program, and you can move things around in the left hand file structure, which IS your explorer. You can drag and drop, or use the move command toward the top of the view field when you have things open to view.

All you have to do to move things to your new hard drive is to copy and paste or drag and drop. It's just another drive. Nothing too scary. Promise! LOL!

Just whatever you do, do it from within ACDSee, or your tags won't follow.

Also, if you want your data base to point to a different drive, you'll have to go in and change that also. Go to Tools>Options>Database>Database Location. Use the explorer tree there.

The following are detailed instructions on how to get the database moved to the EHD. The second half applies to getting ACDSee to read one database on two computers. A single liscence will allow this. If you are only using it for one computer, just stop after the first part is complete.

The instructions were written by someone else, and I got these off a website. However, I do not remember what or where the website was, so my apologies to the author.

Directions on working on 2 computers with a external hard drive between them:

Important: If you want to share your database between a Vista & XP computers, their is some extra steps that NEED to be done.

1. Place all your digital kits and images on the External Hard Drive (EHD). To do this: How to Move Organized Digital Kits

2. The next step is getting the ACDSee database moved on to your EHD:

3. Exit ACDSee Photo Manager

4. Connect your EHD

5. Open Windows Explorer

6. Browse to this location:

1. In Version 9 on XP: In Windows Explorer go to this location: "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\ACD Systems\Catalogs\90"

2. In Version 10 on XP: In Windows Explorer go to this location: "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\ACD Systems\Catalogs\100"

3. In Version 9 on Vista: Go to this location: My Computer, C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\90

4. In Version 10 on Vista: Go to this location: My Computer, C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\100

5. XP Tips: View your Local Settings Folder (for XP)

6. Vista Tips: How to view your AppData folder on Vista

7. Select the Default folder and choose Edit | Copy (or Ctrl-c)

8. Still in Windows Explorer, browse to the EHD.

9. Make a new folder called ACDSee Database

10. Click on the new folder you just created, and choose Edit | Paste (or Ctrl-v) to copy the Default folder (Database) to the EHD.

11. Start ACDSee Photo Manager (This step is what I call "Pointing to the database")

1. Click on Tools | Options

2. Click on the Database

3. At the end of the path of the database, click on the icon and browse to your EHD. On the EHD select this path: ACDSee Database\Default

12. Restart Photo Manager and make sure your categories are there and you can search for your images and go to file takes you to your files.

13. Close down ACDSee Photo Manager and unplug your EHD. Connect the EHD to the second computer.

14. If BOTH computers are XP, or BOTH are Vista, or the original computer was Vista: then repeat step 11 & 12 on the second computer.

15. If the first computer is XP and the second computer is Vista, then do the following:

1. Close Photo Manager

2. Using Windows Explorer, browse to the EHD:\ACDSee Database folder.

3. Select the Default folder and choose Edit | Copy (or Ctrl-c)

4. Browse to:

1. In Version 9 on Vista: Go to this location: My Computer, C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\90

2. In Version 10 on Vista: Go to this location: My Computer, C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\100

5. Right click on the Default folder and rename the Default folder to Default-old

6. Choose Edit | Paste (or Ctrl-v) to copy in Default folder (Database) from the EHD.

7. Start Photo Manager, make sure your categories are there and you can search.

8. Close Photo Manager

9. Browse to same location on Vista as step #4 above.

10. Select the Default folder and choose Edit | Copy (or Ctrl-c)

11. Browse to the EHD:\ACDSee Database folder.

12. Delete the Default folder here.

13. Choose Edit | Paste (or Ctrl-v) to copy in Default folder (Database) from the Vista computer.

14. Then do steps 11 & 12 above.

15. Lastly, always optimize from the Vista computer!!

Word of Caution: Your database for ACDSee is now stored on EHD. If you start ACDSee and the EHD is disconnected you will receive an error message "Can not connect to database" So always connect the EHD before starting ACDSee Photo Manager.

Good Luck! This worked for me, so I hope it all makes sense to you!

I copied my scrapbook files to my ehd and then I opened up ACDSee and I wanted to test it. I clicked on the explorer thingy for the ehd (scrapbook files) and it brought them all up. I tested to see if I could search for stuff (easter and halloween) and it brought them all up. I wonder if it will work that way. I've attached a pic of what I mean.

Archived