Adding Styles In Pse 6

jhbren

Hi, fellow Mac addicts - I need your help.

I've just upgraded from PSE 3 to 6, and am managing to find my way around; most of it is fairly familiar. But when I tried to install the styles I've purchased from Scrap Girls, I was unsuccessful. I put them in the presets folder, as in PSE 3, and as instructed in "The Missing Manual" for PSE 6 for Mac. They did not appear in the layer styles drop-down palette. I read the thread about installing styles, and tried dragging to the application icon in the dock - that didn't work either.

I'm sure I've just overlooked something ... can anyone point me in the right direction, please? I need those styles!

Thanks,

Jo

Hi Jo, I use PS CS4 now, but I am familiar with PSE4 Mac. Not sure if this will work for PSE6.

Installing Actions - PSE4 Mac:

Copy all files (including the .psd file) to:

HD>applications>PSE4>previews>effects>image effects. Next, delete the

contents of the Effects Cache in the previews folder. Quit PSE4. Restart PSE. To use the action, double click on the name of the action in the drop down palette.

Hope this works for you!

Karen

Hi JH Bren-here is how I install styles into my PSE6:

Close PSE if it's open.

I make a copy of the style itself-highlight and then choose Copy [whatever style you have].

Next, go to your hard drive-not your Home Folder-and follow this path: Library--->Application Support--->Adobe--->Photoshop Elements--->6.0--->Locale--->en_US--->Photo Creations--->layer styles. This is where you paste that new style.

Now if you look at your screen you will see something listed just above the Photo Creations folder called MediaDatabase.db3. What you want to do is to rename it-I simply tack on the word 'OLD' to it so it looks like this: MediaDatabaseOLD.db3. Then open up PSE and it will be slow to start up but it has to rebuild the database. That is what makes the new styles appear.

Each time that you install new styles this is the procedure you need to do. Took me a few times to learn this method. Don't hesitate to email back with more questions! Judy

Thanks so much, Judy - it worked! One believes that Adobe really doesn't want us to install non-Adobe styles - there's nothing in the help menus about styles, at all. And The Missing Manual information only described the "old" way - drag them into the preset styles folder - nothing about the library or application support .

I'm going to print your message and tape it in the book for future reference!

I know what you mean!! I don't think the way to install styles could be any more complicated!!! I am SO glad it worked for you. My instructions would also apply to any shapes you install-I don't have many of them other than what Adobe has. Judy

Archived