Ro-new Organizing System?

candyK

Not sure if this is your problem but you need to make sure that Picasa is set to view "Small" pictures. Go to view and make sure small pictures is checked. If it is not, Picasa will not show you all those tiny things like staples, brads, sometimes buttons. See if that is the issue. If not post again.

Oh! Just thought of something. You do have Picasa set to recognized png files, right? All your embellishments are going to be png's and you need to tell Picasa to pick those things up.

I also just downloaded Picasa 3 and I think that I am going to like it. However, I cannot see all of my png files. Some of them show up but not all. I have a feeling I am missing something simple, can anyone offer any advice? I did check to make sure that picasa is set up to read png's but it is just not reading all of them

Thanks,

Cindy

I also just downloaded Picasa 3 and I think that I am going to like it. However, I cannot see all of my png files. Some of them show up but not all. I have a feeling I am missing something simple, can anyone offer any advice? I did check to make sure that picasa is set up to read png's but it is just not reading all of them

Thanks,

Cindy

In picassa properties you can select which file extensions are visible.

Guest vanillasky43

Thanks,

Cindy

There are two things I can think of, the first is to make sure that Picasa is set to look in all the right folders (you do this in Tools - Folder Manager) and the second suggestion is to click on the view drop down menu and click small pictures, by default Picasa will only 'see' images over a certain number of pixels but if 'small pictures' has a tick next to it then Picasa should recognise all your .png files regardless of its size.

Hope that helps

Leanne

Awhile ago, someone mentioned a simple (yet brilliant) thing they do to both keep their kits together AND separate into organized category folders (e.g. ribbons). They simply just went through their kit folder and sorted the items by creating a 'shortcut' of each item and sending it to the appropriate category folder (papers, and various elements). How smart is that?? So you don't have duplicates everywhere!! I'm not sure, if you are a tagger, you would need separate folders but if not...this is so great! I'd been using ACDSee until I lost my hardrive (and only copy of it) so I'm sitting here, at sqare one, trying to figure out which way do I go....Bridge (cs4), Picasso, or Windows Gallery....I like tagging and am not sure if need to separate into folders too. I think I will dl the new ebook to see what's going on there. ;)

Ok ... this is not an essential, but it is bugging my happiness :disappearing-smilie: Everytime I close picasa3 I make sure I collapse all folders, but when I open picasa to use it, the embellishment files is always open and fully extended. Is there a setting for all folders to be "closed/collapsed" when I first open so I don't have to scroll back to the beginning and close the embellishment file before working in picasa3?

I just upgraded from a PC to a Mac and now I have to organize all of my scrap supplies over again. If you have any suggestions for organizing for a Mac, I'd really appreciate all the help I could get. I just bought Shoebox and I cannot figure it out. I'm desperate. I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of scrap supplies but I don't even know what I have because it is all in multiple folders and not organized. Please help. I'm ready to give up.

I just upgraded from a PC to a Mac and now I have to organize all of my scrap supplies over again. If you have any suggestions for organizing for a Mac, I'd really appreciate all the help I could get. I just bought Shoebox and I cannot figure it out. I'm desperate. I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of scrap supplies but I don't even know what I have because it is all in multiple folders and not organized. Please help. I'm ready to give up.

Connie,

I can't help you with a Mac, but I wanted to tell you that you might do better getting answers to your questions by posting a new topic in the Organizing section of the forum. That way you can put your specific issues in the subject lines and get the Mac users attention.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ladies,

I want to thank you all for your tips and suggestions. Being fairly new to Scrap Girls and digital scrapbooking, there are a lot of things I have yet to learn. I downloaded a trial of ACDsee and I am not too crazy about it. But not having my files organized, is driving me crazy! The thought of breaking up my kits makes me break into a sweat, and the fact that I can't find anything to mix with other kits is also making me crazy. You all have given me a lot of ideas on how to tackle my organization. Now just wish me luck!

Thanks!

Sandy

Hi Ladies,

I want to thank you all for your tips and suggestions. Being fairly new to Scrap Girls and digital scrapbooking, there are a lot of things I have yet to learn. I downloaded a trial of ACDsee and I am not too crazy about it. But not having my files organized, is driving me crazy! The thought of breaking up my kits makes me break into a sweat, and the fact that I can't find anything to mix with other kits is also making me crazy. You all have given me a lot of ideas on how to tackle my organization. Now just wish me luck!

Thanks!

Sandy

sandy,

for me acdsee took me awhile to learn but once i got it it has been a great way to find all kinds of scrap things..i really can mix up the things i use but havent broken up my kits.... there are sites online that have tuts on acdsee that may help you... too bad this is virtual or i would come over and show you how to use it...but i do know what you mean... it takes a bit of figuring out...there are others here that use acdsee so you can post questions on mb and i bet you will get help

I've never used Picasa, and I don't have Vista (I use a Mac), but I just thought I would offer my thoughts on Bridge. You mentioned that you might want to use Bridge to organize your photos. I actually use it to organize my supplies. I keep each kit (or embellishment set, etc.) in it's own folder and then I use keywords in Bridge to search all the folders. It takes awhile to add keywords initially, but now that I am caught up I just add keywords to items as I download them. My keywords are similar to the folders that Ro uses to organize. So I can find all the papers I own. Or I can find all the blue papers I own. Or I can make it even more specific and find all the blue papers with a snow pattern that I own.

As a side note, I use iPhoto to organize my photos, but since there aren't in Mac users in this thread, I won't explain that.

Hi,

I'm a Mac user. I'm VERY interested to know how you've organized your collections. I use IPhoto for my photos and PSE6. I did go through and set up folders using Ro's latest ebook method, but after starting to try and put items in the correct folders I started getting confused as to where everything was now stored! I like the idea of keeping an entire collection together so I know what coordinates without having to search for it. Thoughts?

In Fresno,

Susan

I'm still having organizing issues. Finally going to break up the kits! Scarey deal.

1-Ro has a folder named "transparencies" What are these?

2-Plus--How am I going to be sure that I can keep the designer names with the items IF--gasp!--they are NOT from SG? (I'm an admitted freebie junkie.)

3- Is there anyway to see the PSD files, and not just the little blue square? Like a template is in the template folder, but all of them are just blue squares?

I really am this confused!

Thanks again,

candyK

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm just too anal about this but I have my files organized as follows:

1) On the hard drive I have a directory for Scrap Supplies within My Pictures. Within Scrap Supplies there are subdirectories for Backgrounds, Elements, Alphabet Sets, etc. Within each of those subdirectories are directories for each designer.

2) In PSE, I have Categories for Backgrounds, Elements, etc which currently have no subcategories within them. There is also a category called Designers with a subcategory for each designer, a category called Kits with a subcategory of each store or website and within those subcategories are the kits I have gotten from each place. Each of my 'scrap supplies' ends up tagged with a type (background,element, etc), a store name, a designer, and a kit. That way I can look at everything by a certain designer or all the parts of a specific kit or any other combination without any trouble.

Since my hard drive crashed last weekend, I'm currently rebuilding my system. I restored what I had backed up (which, unfortunately, was a couple of weeks old and from before I came up with my grand scheme) to an external portable drive so that I'll be able to work on either my desktop or my laptop. As I rebuild my tagging system, I'll probably add a Color category so that I can see all the blue stuff at once and within the Elements category I'll probably add subcategories for brads, tacks, ribbons, etc.

Lisa

Guest zachsmommy

Quick question on Ro's method (I'm converting): do you keep folders with all your LO templates together and just place them in a folder for LO Templates?

Guest zachsmommy

Also, do you keep the AYO kits together or break them up too? Maybe I'm being too rigid about this whole thing....

Awhile ago, someone mentioned a simple (yet brilliant) thing they do to both keep their kits together AND separate into organized category folders (e.g. ribbons). They simply just went through their kit folder and sorted the items by creating a 'shortcut' of each item and sending it to the appropriate category folder (papers, and various elements). How smart is that?? So you don't have duplicates everywhere!! I'm not sure, if you are a tagger, you would need separate folders but if not...this is so great! I'd been using ACDSee until I lost my hardrive (and only copy of it) so I'm sitting here, at sqare one, trying to figure out which way do I go....Bridge (cs4), Picasso, or Windows Gallery....I like tagging and am not sure if need to separate into folders too. I think I will dl the new ebook to see what's going on there. ;)

Are you able to do this in Picassa? How do you create the shortcut? I am terrified of taking my kits apart!Thanks,candyK

Archived