To Print Or Not To Print

I know this topic has come up a lot and I thought I would share some of my recent thoughts and ideas on it. :)

If you had asked me this question 6 months ago, I would have answered that I print everything! I have been doing 8x8 albums and love them and so do my girls! I would usually get my layouts printed about once a month at Sam's club.

Well, I got behind in printing the layouts and they have started to pile up! Plus, with my 'job' here, I make a lot more pages than I would otherwise. When I looked in my 'to print' folder the other day, there were 80 layouts to print! YIKES! At a $1.50 a page, that would have been $120 to print them! So, I started looking for some alternatives. I am having a hard time picking and choosing some to print/not print, so I wanted to find a way to cost effectively print them all.

#1 - Viovio.com prints loose pages, so I thought I would try them. I put my 8x8 layouts on a 12x12 canvas and sent them in for printing and then cut them at home. (They only print 12x12 loose pages.) The cost was about 86 cents a page, plus shipping. I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with the quality though. They were 'OK', but my photos were washed out. I decided that I spend way to much time tweaking my photos to look good to settle for this kind of printing quality.

#2 - I found a steal of a deal on a digital photo frame! I got a 9" Sony frame for $45, regular $200. I loaded all my layouts on an SD card and I LOVE IT! The girls love watching them too. Not something where I would probably sit and read the journaling on the pages, but a great way to see the layouts.

#3 - Print the layouts in a smaller size. After looking around on-line, at Hobby Lobby and talking with the photo gals at Sam's club, I have switched to printing my layouts at 6"x6". I know this may not be an option if you are currently doing 12x12, but to go from 8x8 to 6x6 isn't really a big deal! In the 80 pages I had printed, I think there are one or two where I find it hard to read the journaling. And the cost?? 38 cents a page!! Instead of $120, it cost me just over $30 to print 80 layouts!! YEAH!! (to print 6x6 at Sam's, I have to take a disc to the store and place my order. It is not an option on-line or from the kiosk at the store. The girl explained that they just don't want so many options out there, but can do lots of other sizes. AND - don't forget to tell them to TURN OFF the color correction, no matter what size you have them print!)

#4 - Display them on the TV! If you have a Wii, you can load your layouts to an SD card, put them in the Wii and use the Photo Menu to display them! Kind of fun! :)

HTH!! I just thought I would share, since I have spent a lot of time digging around for some alternatives!

Thanks for the info!

You obviously get a lot more scrapping done than I do!!! Very impressive!

I LOVE seeing my layouts on the digital frame that I have, too.

I haven't tried the TV thing. Well, I don't have a Wii. I think I could put them on a DVD or something, though.

Since I don't get a ton of pages done, I've been able to keep up with printing them myself at home...8x8.

:)

Archived