7 replies to this topic

#1 tiza126

tiza126

SG Shopaholic

• Welcoming Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

After getting home from KC today, I hooked my EHD back up to my desktop so I could scrap. Now the EHD has started making occasional funny noises. This can't be a good sign!

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to back anything up yet (stupid me), so I'm about ready to sign up for Mozy so I can get my EHD backed up ASAP. I've been browsing the MB and see all kinds of complaints and warnings against Mozy, so now I don't know what to do. It doesn't sound like anything else will back up the EHD? I have over 40 GB of photos/supplies on my EHD, and only 4 GB free space on my desktop, so I can't copy the files over. And there is no way I'm staying up all night to quickly put everything on DVDs. Should I just go for it and get Mozy and hope everything is okay?

Ahhh why is this happening to me after the weekend had gone so well???

gallery_14425_66_70914.gif

(siggy by Conda)

Button_Welcome.png~ SGblinkie.gif~ BLINKIES_Huckleberry.gif~ BLINKIES_BoutiqueBabe.gif

#2 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,623 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

You can always run out and buy a back up EHD. I use more than one EHD to back up my files. Hope there aren't any real problems with your drive!

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngShredButton.pngButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#3 tiza126

tiza126

SG Shopaholic

• Welcoming Committee
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

I guess I could swing by Office Depot tomorrow on my way home from work.

Maybe the EHD is just tired after working so hard yesterday?? Either that or he doesn't like airport security. Hmmm...

gallery_14425_66_70914.gif

(siggy by Conda)

Button_Welcome.png~ SGblinkie.gif~ BLINKIES_Huckleberry.gif~ BLINKIES_BoutiqueBabe.gif

#4 Nutmeg

Nutmeg

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

Mozy's been okay for me, but if your EHD is making unusual noises, I'd be more inclined to buy another. It took forever to upload my stuff to Mozy, and only about half an hour to transfer it to another EHD.

#5 scrappylibrarian

scrappylibrarian

What are YOU reading today?

• Members
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Oh yikes! I hope you get it figured out!
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 MargotW

MargotW

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

Mozy's been okay for me, but if your EHD is making unusual noises, I'd be more inclined to buy another. It took forever to upload my stuff to Mozy, and only about half an hour to transfer it to another EHD.

I would be inclined to do this also. It took almost 3 weeks to backup to Mozy. I have a 500 GB Western Digital that I use as well. Talk about not trusting technology! lol
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I shoot with a SONY A300 and scrap with PSE8

#7 Glorie

Glorie

My name is Glorie and I am a Digi-Scrap-aholic and Lovin' it

• Members
  • 9,763 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

I am having some computer woes myself! In fact, this is the first time I have been able to get on SG MB since about Fri. eve.!! I am not able to do much at all! The most I could do is get into my e-mail and an hour ago I lost even that! I shut things down and this time when it came back I was able to get here!

I do not know if it is a good time to try to do anything with your EHD. I had one and did not have anything backed up either (I now have Carbonite and no EHD). It was almost dead, and if I would have used it any further I would have lost everything. I immediately took it to the computer Dr. and with a lot of time he got almost everything important (my photos and LO's, plus my Documents) uploaded onto my computer. I did loose a bunch of SG items (and maybe a few other things I have not missed) but Angie was the hero there! If the EHD stops completely you may loose it all. Hugs and prayers this does not happen.

Also note that I am soooo NOT a computer geek...that is just my experience.
Posted Image
Specially made for me by a Cheshire Cat???...I LOVE IT, THANK-YOU!

Posted Image Posted Image X's 3

#8 kerryveale

kerryveale

Hi, I'm Kerry & I love Scrap Girls!

• Design Team
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

I have two EHDs--and whatever I'm working on at the moment is temporarily also on my hard drive.

I have had an EHD fail in the past and had to mail it in (fortunately it was under warranty), and I was so glad I had everything on the other EHD.

If you live near Costco, they usually have decent prices for EHDs. Also I've bought an EHD at Walmart, too.

I have found that copying data from one EHD to another works best if I copy smaller chunks at a time. (it didn't like copying a 90-gb folder all at once!)

~ Kerry ~
Designs~ Gallery
Button_Designer.png

The Adagio digital scrapbooking kit will spark your creativity in creating layouts for travel, performances, music, romance,

special occasions like dances, and heritage layouts. (Images are clickable)
KVE_Adagio_MKTG_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO1_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_LO2_150.jpg KVE_Adagio_PaperSamples_MKTG_150.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users