Iphoto And Pse6

DebLynn

Hi...

I thought I had this situation figured out thanks to the Apple Discussion boards. I was told that all you have to do in PSE is go to File>Open>then navigate to "Photos" in your Finder's left sidebar, click on it, and that will open iPhoto where you can choose your photo(s). So I did that, and yes, I was able to get right into iPhoto (I have '09), but when I click on the photo I want, the "choose" button on the bottom stays grayed out. So frustrating!

How do you all get around this? I hate to have to move photos out of iPhoto before I start working in PSE. It seems so silly. And I know about the preference in iPhoto's Preferences that lets you choose to open a photo for editing in an external browser instead of iPhoto, but I like to use iPhoto to edit, especially '09 which is great, so I don't use that option.

Has anyone figured out a simple way to open and choose your iPhoto photos from right within PSE?

TIA, Debbie

Hi Deb- I don't normally access my photos from within PSE but just tried it and was able to open iPhoto and go to a picture but I can't figure out how to get it to open in PSE. A few minutes later........ So far the solution I have come up with is to open up the preferences in iPhoto (I don't have iPhoto '09 so I don't know if it's the same for your version) and choose to edit a photo in Photoshop Elements. Double click on the photo you want and it will open in PSE. I don't know if there is any way to do it in Bridge...... There should be a way but right now I don't know how. Hope this helps! Let me know, Judy

Just drag and drop... select the photo you want to open in PSE in your iPhoto, then drag it down and drop it on the PSE icon on your dock. Viola, it's now open in PSE and you don't have to go digging around in folders to get there! :D

HTH!

~Kelly

This also works with Finder.

When you view the thumbnails in finder, you can directly drag and drop them to open them in PSE. It's great. I never run Bridge because I think it's SLOW (IMHO)... the spotlight and finder searches work really well to find specific items.

This also works with Finder.

When you view the thumbnails in finder, you can directly drag and drop them to open them in PSE. It's great. I never run Bridge because I think it's SLOW (IMHO)... the spotlight and finder searches work really well to find specific items.

Hi Ladies,

I knew all the methods you listed, but none of them are what I was hoping to do. So I guess it can't be done. I'm not sure what's meant by "view the thumbnails in Finder". My photos are only in iPhoto. I import them directly into iPhoto from my camera, so I don't think I have any thumbnails in Finder.

I also asked about this over at the Apple Discussion boards and one guy insisted that what I wanted to do could be done, but I guess he never tried, because it can't be done when I try it.

I will have to plan what photos I'm going to use in a layout ahead of time and do the drag and drop onto the PSE icon in the dock to get them into PSE. Then start my layout from there. That seems like the simplest way.

Thank you, Debbie

Hi Debbie- don't give up yet. When iPhoto is open and you see the picture you want in PSE for a layout, just hold down your mouse button and drag said photo onto the icon of Photoshop Elements in the Dock. Release the mouse button. Your picture should now be in PSE ready for you to put into a layout. PSE doesn't even have to open when you drag a photo aka thumbnail from iPhoto on the PSE icon in the Dock. Hope this helps you to what you want to do, Judy

When you have your event open in iPhoto (after you have edited it), drag it from iphoto to the pse icon on the dock. It will open your edited photo. You can navigate to it via the "open" menuin pse, but it's a really long process.

Thanks to all of you for your responses! I guess the drag and drop method is the one suggested the most. I have done this before, but I guess I'm just frustrated that you can't navigate to iPhoto from inside PSE 6 and actually open a photo. I know someone who hates iPhoto for this very reason, and I wanted to be able to tell her that it could be done. I guess I was hoping against hope. Oh well. One thing though... when I drag and drop from iPhoto onto the PSE icon in my dock, it opens right up. Didn't you say Judy

that PSE doesn't have to open? Mine does every time. But that's no biggie.

Anyway, thanks again... and maybe someday iPhoto will be directly accessible from within PSE.

Has anyone heard if we're going to get PSE 7 for the Mac anytime soon? It has some cool new features I'd love to have. My PC users here have it and I'm jealous. LOL!

Warmly, Debbie

What I meant to say was that you don't have to open PSE first, before you drag a picture onto it. If it's not open, it will open then.

Maybe accessibility from within PSE will be in a PSE7 version for the Mac but I haven't heard that there is a PSE7 in the works for the Mac. I am curious though-what features do your PSE7 friends have that you like? I always look forward to updated apps!!! Judy

Oh!!! LOL! Okay Judy, now I get it! Yes, I am using this method now to get my photos into PSE. I do hope they come out with PSE 7 for the Mac this year, but the last time they upgraded for the Mac, they jumped from 4 to 6, completely skipping 5. So who knows, they might do the same thing this time. Hope not.

What I meant when I said my PC users here, is my own guys, son and hubby, have PSE 7. We got it at Costco for thirty dollars off, so it was a great deal! I was enrolled in a free Webinar last week at naods.com, and Michelle spent about a half hour showing all of us some of the new features in PSE 7 for Windows. One of them was you could add lipstick to someone's lips! I know I'd be vain enough to do that to myself if needed! LOL! She also showed how to whiten teeth. I can't think of everything she showed us, but the new things listed on the box are: whiten teeth, create bluer skies, select and apply with a single stroke (Adobe Smart Brush, 8 libraries of over 50 sophisticated effects), new effects like Faded Ink, Pencil Sketch, clear your scene of unwanted elements (as long as you have more than one of the same shot), etc.

What I remember during the Webinar is how excited Michelle was about all of the new things in 7, and she's a regular user of PSE since she teaches it like Ro does.

Hope we get this version too.

Debbie

So I did some playing...

you can access iPhoto through PSE (with previews of the photos! This is with Leopard, Tiger did not do it this way) by going to File>Open>Photos> Then you will get a pop up window that looks kind of like a mini version of iPhoto.

HTH!

Hi Kelly,

This is the first thing I did, and it doesn't work. When I'm in PSE 6 on my Mac running Leopard, I go to File>Open>Photos>, and then the little mini iPhoto pops up, but when I click on any photo, the Open box at the bottom right, stays grayed out. It doesn't let me choose anything.

If it's working for you I sure wish I knew why!

Thanks, Debbie

Okay.. so apparently iPhoto is holding our pictures hostage! LOL!

Before I upgraded to Leopard, I used to go digging around through my iPhoto folders (or pholders as I tried to type twice... LOL!!) It was really long and complicated process and there were "original" files and "modified" files and you had to remember which ones you took the red eye out of... quite frankly, I'm happy to keep dragging and dropping...

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

That's okay Kelly! You can't help me do something that Apple isn't allowing us to do!! Unfortunately!! LOL!

Be careful playing around in the iPhoto Library folder (or package as it's called in '08 and '09), because that's a big no-no that can mess you up big time in your iPhoto library. It will break the links. I'm reading The Missing Manual book for iPhoto '09 that came out just last week, and I read the other day that the reason they made the iPhoto Library a package now for '08 and '09, rather than a folder, is because too many people were going into the iPhoto Library in their Pictures folder and messing it up big time!! So they made it more difficult to do now hoping to discourage people. Now you have to go to User>Pictures>iPhoto Library>then right click to bring up a menu, and then click on "show package contents", and that's where all of the goodies are hiding that we're not supposed to touch!!

I recently had my hard drive die on me, fortunately it was a slow death so I had time to get everything backed up. What the guy who was helping me did, is just go into the iPhoto Library package and drag the "originals" folder into my EHD. That way at least, I had all of my original photos. What I didn't know is that he didn't back up my iPhoto library itself with all of it's modifications, keywords, etc. So I had to stary all over with more than 20,000 photos!! Aarrgghhh!!!

After my hard drive was replaced in January, I just waited for iLife '09 to come out and started fresh with iPhoto '09. I still haven't moved most of my original photos back because I'm too busy dealing with my '09 photos! LOL!

Thanks again for trying to figure it out for me. Thank you too Judy!! Drag and drop, or making a desktop folder containing the pics I want to use, are going to be my methods for now.

Debbie

You are welcome Debbie. Only too glad to try and help out a fellow Mac user when I can.

I, too, had heard that about the change in iPhoto '08 & '09, making it not so obvious where the photos are hiding. I know from past experience that one can REALLY mess up the library without really trying too hard....... That was a long time ago and I have learned since. But sometimes I just get to tinkering around and well, that isn't always a good thing.

I can't imagine having to go through 20,000+ photos and retagging, etc.!!! My gosh! I am tired and frustrated just thinking about the task at hand you have.

I haven't upgraded to iPhoto '09 yet. Not sure why..... I usually jump right in and get the latest and greatest.

Well, it's bedtime for me. Take care, Judy

I love iPhoto '09!! The Face and Places feature is great, but what I love the most is the easy upload to Facebook and Flickr, two sites I have accounts at. I think the editing features are much improved too, which is why I use iPhoto for most of my editing, rather than PSE.

Take care, Debbie

Just drag and drop... select the photo you want to open in PSE in your iPhoto, then drag it down and drop it on the PSE icon on your dock. Viola, it's now open in PSE and you don't have to go digging around in folders to get there! :D

HTH!

~Kelly

Ditto on this - this is the way I do it too - drag and drop and it doesn't delete the photo from iPhoto either. So easy.

I like the photo editing in iPhoto too, better than PSE. One thing that is so much better (my opinion) is noise reduction. I have not mastered how to do that one simple thing well in PSE yet! But in iPhoto it's very simple. All around the photo editing is easier and fits my needs in iPhoto. Judy

Yeah, for the first time ever the other day I tried editing a photo in PSE 6 rather than iPhoto '09, and I couldn't believe how bad it was!! I couldn't get rid of the red eye in one of my son's girlfriend's eyes no matter how many times I tried. But in iPhoto '09, I was able to take care of it no problem. I'm very impressed with the big improvement in those tools just from '08 to '09 too.

Debbie

I, too love iPhoto - I can do sooo many things with it so much easier than going into PSE - it makes pics easier to find as well since you can actually puts them into whatever category you want. I am so happy to hear from so many Mac users - I didn't realize we had so many.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am a new mac user and I thank all you for the wonderful information... my learning curve is getting shorter... thanks

Its nice to know that if I get stuck there are wonder knowledgable people out there I can talk to...

I'm still having trouble with the file structure (PC user since forever) but I'm getting there.

I am thinking about splitting with parallels and running some windows ops... have any of you done that and do you like it?

Thanks

Candy

Archived