I'm Now A Kindle User

KellyChron

So I downloaded Kindle for iPhone last night and already read three chapters in "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. I really like it. It's not too small to read and as much as I love books, it's nice not to have all the excess stuff laying around my house!

The turning action on the iPhone really is similar to turning an actual page... I love it!

I chose this particular book to start with, because I want to see the movie that comes out soon and I'm a firm believer of reading the book before seeing the movie. :)

so can you explain this to me....you can read books like on kindle but on your iphone??? is that it? is it a free app? or what does it cost? and how do you get the books on your iphone??? sorry for the silly questions...i just dont have that much experience with all this...but i do have an iphone and so does dh...so would love to know about this...thanks for any info/help

There is a free Kindle app you can download, then there is a link in there where you can go to the Kindle part of Amazon and buy books. You can also buy them directly from Amazon and when you open the Kindle app on your phone it will automatically download it for you... I'm not sure what an actual Kindle screen looks like, but you can bookmark the page you are on and change the font size. You can also sync your Kindle with your iPhone, so you can have both and if you read on one then you can sync them so you will start on the same page on both devices... It's pretty cool.

There is a free Kindle app you can download, then there is a link in there where you can go to the Kindle part of Amazon and buy books. You can also buy them directly from Amazon and when you open the Kindle app on your phone it will automatically download it for you... I'm not sure what an actual Kindle screen looks like, but you can bookmark the page you are on and change the font size. You can also sync your Kindle with your iPhone, so you can have both and if you read on one then you can sync them so you will start on the same page on both devices... It's pretty cool.

so i have to already have a kindle reader too? or just can use the app on the phone? i am getting dh a kindle in a few months for a gift and he has an iphone so this sounds cool

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Kindle app on my iPod Touch. I just hit the purchase button for a Kindle 2! I opted for next day shipping, so I should get it, the light, and the cover (purple, of course) tomorrow - in time for the long weekend!

LOL Amanda. I know what you mean...my purse is really heavy due to the weight of the balance on my credit card! I saw there is a new version coming out that's larger, but then the price is higher (of course). There was a thread here on that one, and I think it was Jan who said the Kindle 2 is a good size to take with you in your purse.

I'm excited to have a "library" again, even if it is digital...and I'm starting over on collection books...but I won't miss lugging books around!

Woo-hooo Michele! You're going to love it!

You really don't want to have it any bigger, Amanda. The size of the Kindle screen is perfect. I'd say it's about the size of a paperback book page, maybe slightly bigger. I think the new, larger-size Kindles will be cumbersome, but for those who really like reading newspapers and magazines, it will be good for them, and for student textbooks. This will be incredible for students. I don't know how many textbooks are available in the Kindle format yet, but can you imagine? Sure, you may have to pay $400 for the device, but you don't have to lug around all of those textbooks! And the textbooks themselves should also be cheaper.

Anyway, Amanda, if you're an avid reader, then you need a Kindle. It is pricey, but so, so worth it! :D

Just throwing in my two cents worth too. I LOVE my kindle. size is just right, light, easy to carry, stays charged forever (seems like), easy to read, gets lots of attention, easy to hold, lots and lots of cool books for very reasonable price (I figure it will pay for itself within a year, easy). Skins are interesting, covers pretty or practical. Just cannot find enough good things to say about it. A few books I would like are not available, so haven't completely given up on DTBs yet. The standard medical texts I use are not available yet, but there are some and several of the standard nursing texts are available. A lot cheaper than the big, heavy books. Once my med books are available, I will buy the big Kindle for those. I don't read the paper much except online, so that's not my interest and if they ever have scrapping or photoshop or photography mags available, I might get those as well. I still like real magazines though.

Archived