It's Broke

:banghead::clapping_kitty: GOOD MORNING. . .Well for those lovely ladies that helped me try to sort out ALL the EDHs out there I just thought I'd let you know. . .As you may remember I purchased a Maxtor one touch 4 1 TB. . .Well after TRYING to get enough of my pretties in their proper place to move them to my new EDH to free up space, IT DOESN"T WORK. . .After 2 days of TRYING to INSTALL I'm being TOLD by Seagate that the EDH HAS KNOWN ISSUES & DOES NOT WORK. . .Now it's back to the store to return this one & purchase another 1TB. . .Of course it won't be this one. . .They have a WD Tablet ( in stock) that I guess I'm going to purchase now. . .PLEASE WISH ME LUCK. . .I THINK that I WILL NEVER GET TO THE ACTUAL FUN STUFF & MAY GIVE UP VERY VERY SOON . . . Debi

Sorry to hear this, but I have to tell you. My WD died after only a year, and they were not very nice. I'm still researching which one to get. I'm might try an Iomega.

Mine died too, just after the one year mark for warranty! It was a WD. Grrr! I have Carbonite and am still wondering what the best EHD would be!

I've had really good luck with my Lacie EHD. No problems after a year. I also have a Toshiba EHD that seems to work well (but I've only had that one for about a month so far).

Okay NOW I'm SCARED. . .The store only has ONE EDH. . .It's the 1TB WD My book. . .I see that it only has a 1 yr warranty. . .The Maxtor had a 5yr. . .BUT that doesn't DO MUCH GOOD when it doesn't work RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. . .And Seagate said to return it to the store. . .SOMETIMES I WISH I lived in the CITY. . .30 miles to "local" staples & they can only offer me the only one they have. . .Thanks for your well wishes But now I'm REALLY SCARED. . .Debi

Oh, Debi -- so sorry about your troubles! I have a Maxtor One Touch 4 (500GB) and I love it. It's been working great for over a year now. (Though I still back-up to DVDs). I wish you luck in finding one that fits your needs!

Keep the box and your receipts and you should have no problem. WD replaced one of our EHD's without problem. I would purchase no other brand and was eying that 1T My book myself!

I've had really good luck with my Lacie EHD. No problems after a year. I also have a Toshiba EHD that seems to work well (but I've only had that one for about a month so far).

I've had my LaCie going on close to a year and it has never given me any problems

I have been using a 1TB SimpleTech EHD for almost a year on a PC with Vista without issue, if you're looking for other brand suggestions. I ordered it online from Circuit City and received FREE shipping.

BTW, welcome to Scrap Girls!

Don't give up!

You will get to the fun part, I promise!

Costco on line usually has good options - and even if you're not a member there's just a small additional fee.

DH says New Egg is pretty good, but he has had bad luck with Tiger Direct.

And stop and play a bit before you try to make everything perfect. That will keep you motivated!

:)

Oh, bummer Debi. that's a real pain. I always back up my scrap and photos with discs too. I had one ehd go out on me but I had everything backed up. They couldn't figure out what went wrong with it when I sent it in but they replaced it for free. Go ahead and scrap, getting organized at the beginning can be really frustrating, but it's worth it. You'll love scrapping digitally when you get to it. I promise :).

Debi don't get discouraged. We were talking about missing you last night...Please come back more often and don't worry. WD is good on keeping promises esp with boxes and receipts you keep. I agree with Gayle...Order from online rather than driving into the city since you live in the country. It'll be easier that way for you. LaCie is good and so is WD.

Sorry about all this trouble, Debi. Don't give up! There are successful EHD stories out there. I have two Seagate drives, one internal (over 3 years old) and one external (about 2 months old). They have not failed me yet. I hope you find a solution that's stable and works for you.

hang in there, Debi! I'm sorry I can't really help you with the issue at hand. I have a Seagate FreeAgent just 80 GB. It's been no trouble for me, except that I should have gone bigger.

My mom always tried to teach me crafts, and I always got so frustrated with the learning part that I quit much of it. Same with band. I regret it terribly. I wish I had stuck with it.

Take it one day at a time, each day a new day. You will get it working eventually, and probably sooner than you think!

I have had WD hard drives since 1996. I have NEVER had one fail, scratch, or go bad. I have a WD slim EHD now, and hope soon to get a back up system by WD. I would pick the brand any day.

Good luck! You can always have them give you store credit, and order you in what you need. Lots of stores are very good about that. Talk to the tech ppl there. (not the sales ppl.. the tech ppl! that fixes the actual computers, sales ppl only sale and have no clue) LOL.

Angela N.

I have a Seagate, 750GB EHD and have had it for over a year. I have had no problems with it and I have Mozy backup for the EHD as well as my hard drive. I also have Carbonite, but they still don't backup EHD's. But that is okay since I now have Mozy. I don't back up on DVD's, too much trouble and very time consuming. Mozy, Carbonite and my EHD do the backups behind the scene, so I don't have to be bothered.

Good luck with purchasing a new EHD.

Archived