Help With Edh

Debil

:banghead: Hi. . .Well some of you will remember I posted for help regarding the purchase of a EDH. . .And you will recall about 2 weeks ago I purchased the Maxtor One Touch 4. . .Well yesterday I TRIED to install it. . .After 2 DAYS. . .2 phone calls to Staples & 2 hrs with Seagate I've been told it has "KNOW ISSUES". . .Seagate said RETURN IT TO THE STORE. . .Well Staples only has 1 EDH (1 TB ) IN STOCK. . .(go figure) & they said I can return the Maxtor & buy the WD My Book (1 TB) . . .So OFF to STAPLES AGAIN today. . .30 miles away. . .WHAT A MESS. . .BUT DOES ANYONE have a WD my Book out there??? Do you LOVE or HATE it??? Please post any info. . .Debi

I have three 500G WD My books and two 350G WD Passports. I love them, can you tell? :) Let me know if you need any help with them. They are Vista and XP compatable.

I have it and love it! It does come with a lot of "back up" software installed on it. But because I'm using it as a drive for storing my scrapbooking stuff and photos and not as a back up device I immediately formatted the drive before I copied anything to it. It has been working perfect without a hitch! It powers on and off with your computer and stays really cool. I use Mosey for back up.

Anyway go for it! I love mine...and you can't beat 1TB!!

:respect::thanks: Ladies thank you SO VERY MUCH for your lighting FAST replies. . .It is SO VERY HARD to buy SOMETHING that you know nothing about. . .HOWEVER that said EVERYONE here HAS BEEN SO SWEET to me. . .I JUST WANT TO LEARN TO SCRAPBOOK. . .Not SPEND ALL MY TIME getting READY to. . .I'm so scared cuz I've heard that WD tends to DIE around the 1 year mark. . .And in asking questions I have found that "people" love or hate their EDH no mather WHAT THE BRAND. . .DDecker you may be my NEW BFF when I get back from Staples with my REPLACEMENT since you seem to UNDERSTAND the My book equipment. . .LOL. . .LOL. . .If you get a PM from me & it's "WET" it will be because I am in tears again. . .Debi

Yes you can reformat it and then download any drivers/backup software needed from the WD website but you have to register the drive first.

Launa. . .I too am PLANNING on using an EDH for "storing my supplies" backing up to cds HOWEVER I thought my G-daughter could move her itune stuff there also. . .You mentioned that you formated the drive & don't use it for back up, so could you PLEASE EXPLAIN????Debi

Some people like Launa and I like to reformat a new storage device like an EHD to remove any software that comes pre-installed. This is NOT something that HAS to be done. If you do decided for some reason to do this you can always download the files that are removed by the reformatting from the Western Digital website.

I actually DO use and like the back up software that came installed on the My Book and have it set up to automatically back up my pictures and SG product folders twice a week. I am going to subscribe to this thread so I will know if you have posted in case you need help with the new drive. :)

No problem, all you have to do is go to "my computer" right click and choose format. All the defaults should be fine. What this is going to do is totally wipe the drive clean. It won't have any unnecessary software on it and it will be ready to start loading with all your goodies! This process does take a while, so don't be alarmed. Good luck! :D

I have one 500 MB WD My Book. So far, I've been very happy with it! I use it as a mirror for my Seagate EHD and store it at my office in case of fire/theft at home. I also use it at work when I want to scrap at lunch. :)

I have a 320GB My Book which I bought last year. It did get crushed a little on the way home from the airport after convention but dad fixed that and its still working like a charm. I like it and its always plugged in to my desktop. It goes off when the puter goes off and comes on when the puter comes on. But unlike Dee and Launa I didn't know you could reformat it at the time so I just leave it with the stuff on it. However, my next WD will be reformatted since I'm gonna need a small one with a new laptop if I can ever get around to affording one for scrapping in the recliner when my back is killing me :D

I have a wierd combination of EHD that were on sale. I have the 1T MyBook, a 750seagate and a 1Tseagate. I work from a laptop.I am using the 1TMyBook to store my pics and scraps. i have programs only on the laptop. Then i am trying to figure out synctoy. Ideally I wold have a mirror copy on the 750 and on the 1TSeagate. The 750 has traveled well, so I plan to move it offsite.

i also have found that I have spent most of my time trying to get/keep organized and less scrapping has actually happened.I'd be happy with a LO a month and am going to work toward that.

I'm subscribing, so I can keep track of the ideas here. I'm also confused about using synctoy. I want a mirror image I think. I've cleaned up one EHD and want to have the other be the same. Is that mirror?

candyK

I am pretty sure that would be mirror yes. Can you have both EHD's plugged in at the same time? If you can I would make the "cleaned up" one the Left and the other the Right if that makes sense!

:clapping_kitty: Sorry to leave you hanging. . .but LIFE got in the way. . .My 88 yr old mother-in-law IS VERY VERY ILL, Drs have asked family to come & well ALL 10 CHILDREN & familys are starting to arrive from MOSTLY FL. . .So things have been REALLY CRAZY here. . .I did return the Maxtor & purchased the WD My Book. . .It LOADED in MINUTES. . .WOW. . .But this leds to MORE questions. . .

1. I am going to use EHD for STORAGE, not back up, SO should I format so that the software quits trying to load???? The back up program is only a TRIAL anyway, & since I am backing up to cds I think I don't need it NOW anyway. . .

2. Did anyone else's puter SEEM TO SLOW WAY DOWN after installing the EHD???? Mine is running REALLY SLooooooooW right from the moment I hooked up the EHD. . .

Thanks for stopping by any suggestion would be helpful. . .

PS I AM THINKING about joining Mozy for extra back up, HOWEVER Baby steps. . .Baby steps. . .

Debi :clapping_kitty:

no problem Debi. I never used the backup software that came with mine and since I didn't format it I just use windows explorer to go to where I want to go on the EHD. If the software has loaded onto your computer, unplug the EHD (when computer is shut down!) and then go to control panel add/remove software and see if the EHD program was loaded in there. If so remove it and shut down the computer. Then before rebooting the computer, plug in the ehd, go to my computer when the computer is totally loaded and then click on the EHD drive and click on Edit, Format and format it. But I'd say wait until Dee or Becca come talk to you through that one since I haven't done it yet :D

Archived