Blue File Names?

Sorry, I don't know...here are some guesses....

- You have them marked for "archive" in the file system and they've been archived?

- They are marked as "read only"?

- If you use Carbonite (or another back up product) could it be marking them?

I'm sure someone here will have a definitive answer for you, in the mean time HTH!

Are you using some kind of back up system online somewhere like Carbonite or Mozy?

Nope.

As far as I know they aren't "read only" or marked for archive either. Maybe I should get Carbonite or Mozy just in case it's a sign my computer is going to go kaput! :(

Are you running out of hard drive space and compressing files? I just went in to one of my files using right-click and Properties>Attributes:Advanced (at the bottom of the first (General) tab>Check: Compress contents to save disk space. Ok'd out of all that and viola...blue file. Undid the check and...back to black file name.

Test it on one of your files with a blue name and see if that's it.

"Blue file names" = compressed folders. When you mark a folder in Windows to compress whatever files are stored in it, it shows the folder and files in blue text. Separately, if you are not yet sharing your photos online, check out http://www.MyOtherDrive.com for online photo sharing. Also protect your pictures from loss - you can use this site for online backup too.

Michele: I didn't knowing set up anything to compress. So maybe I am running out of space. But I'll look into what you suggested to change that.

Roz and Jack, thanks for the sites. I'll check them out. I need to get my photos off that computer because I'm really concerned it's going to go one of these days and they'll all be lost. It's getting old.

Get your files backed up. It's not a question of will your pc crash, it's a question of when it will crash. They all do sooner or later. Use either Carbonite or Mozy and do it soon. My pc crashed last year and if it wasn't for Carbonite, all of my scrapping stash and all of my other files would have been gone. So my advice to you, get your pc backed up and asap.

Carol is right! I may have to go with Mozy cuz all mine is on my EHD even copies of my photos are on my EHD. I have photos on both C and J drives.

So, I'm guessing from your post, Vaughnde, that Mozy can handle an EHD? I have one, too. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks!

Julie

:clapping_kitty:

Yes Julie Mozy.com DOES EHDs the Ladies here turned me on to it when I bought my ehd a couple of weeks ago.

I'll definitely have to look into it. I think my computer is on its last legs and I'm afraid it's going to just go poof! one of these days. I need to do something soon. The days just seem to fly by and never seem to get around to it. Have to make time for that.

So, did you sign up for Mozy? What are your thoughts?

Archived