What Exactly Are Brushes And Templates?

fran

Brushes are a digital tool that are similar to rubber stamps in the paper world. They come in a variety of designs. You can choose the color, the size, the rotation, etc. and then basically stamp it onto digital layouts or products. There are additional things that you can do with them as well. They could be printed out for rubons or for overlays. There are endless possibilities. We also have layer your own brushes which come with a basic shape and then by stamping on additonal layers you can create your own embellishments. Mainly they can be used in Photoshop or PSP, if you have Microsoft Digital Image Pro then you have to go about using them more like an overlay. I teach and Brush class where we go into more detail about all the uses for them. The next class will be here in a couple of months.

The templates we have in the store are for either paper, embellishments, alphas, or layouts. They are tools that can help you create your own scrapbooking supplies, and they have endless possibilities because you add what colors you want them to be. That way you can match colors you already have, or match colors in a photos. They are usually solid black or greys and you fill the blacks and greys in with color or paper to create things. They can also be used with blending modes. They really are a lot of fun! We have a variety of tutorials throughout the University describing how to use them if this would help you out even more.

Hope this helps some!

Good answer Shalae, all I could possibly add is check the Freebies section of the Boutique and see if there are any brushes or templates there (they change fast) you can try. They'll not only come with directions, but there's tutorials on using them in the University.
Lori

Guest TanyaLynn2
Wow thanks for the info. I always wondered how to use the brushes and what their purpose was they sound pretty cool I will have to check out the tutorials and learn how to use them.

Guest dewingstuff
does anyone know if the psp tutorial works for pspx? I would love to learn how to use these brushes, but the screen shots look a tiny bit different than what I am used to. I am going to try one out shortly.

[quote name='dewingstuff' post='43600' date='May 26 2006, 08:54 PM']does anyone know if the psp tutorial works for pspx? I would love to learn how to use these brushes, but the screen shots look a tiny bit different than what I am used to. I am going to try one out shortly.[/quote]

I wrote that tutorial using X, which is all I use anymore. I think any differences might just be personal customization of PSP, I might have my workspace set up a bit differently than you do. If you have any questions with it, let me know....
Lori

Guest dewingstuff
thanks! I have another brush question: psp8 seemed to have a bunch more brush selection than my pspx. How do I get the 8 brushes into the x folder? Same with the textures... I guess I reinstall 8 and then copy the folders into the x folders?

[quote name='dewingstuff' post='43644' date='May 27 2006, 01:44 PM']thanks! I have another brush question: psp8 seemed to have a bunch more brush selection than my pspx. How do I get the 8 brushes into the x folder? Same with the textures... I guess I reinstall 8 and then copy the folders into the x folders?[/quote]

In X go File/import/custom brushes and go through the steps and X will import them directly. You're textures will work as is. Simply make sure you've told X where they are in the File/prefrences/file locations window. Make sure the folders are listed and checked.
Lori

Archived