Files Disappearing From Disc After Burned Onto The Disc

I just got a dell computer when the motherboard on my gateway died, and when I have tried to burn my scrapgirls files to a disc for a backup on my new dell, they show up on the disc until it is removed from my computer. Then when I put it back in to my computer it shows an empty disc, except the space is all used up on the disc. So I have a full disc of empty files. My dh looked at it and has no idea what is going on. Can anyone help me? Oh, pdf files will show up, just not the regular sg files. I don't even know if this will make sense to anyone. I'm not that computer literate.

Rosemary - I, too have a Dell (laptop) with Vista and when I tried to 'burn' files to a CD (the same way I used to on XP, just dragging the files to the E: drive) I had the same problem. The files showed up on the E: drive and then when I tried to remove the CD, the whole computer hung up and I had to reboot and when I did the files were not on CD and as you said, the space was all used up.

Now, having said this, I have not done much to figure out why as of yet; but I am nervous about this because I need to burn all those DVDs for the graduation soon!!! I have a few ideas about it, though:

1) I don't know if it has something to do with using a CD instead of a DVD ... I was using some 'older' CDs. I haven't had time to try using a DVD yet.

2) My computer guru brother said I should use an actual program to burn the files instead of just trying to drag them to the drive as I used to in XP; again, I haven't tried this yet.

I will be curious to see if we get any response; otherwise, I'm sure I'll be checking more deeply into this in the next few weeks when I am finishing up my slideshow.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! ;)

Wow, thanks Karina, I'm not alone!!! :D. I haven't tried using cd's but the dvd's are doing it for me. I used to copy my files all the time on my Gateway using Vista, by dropping and dragging and had no problem so I'm sure it's not Vista, but my computer. I've also had files disappearing from my computer and then show up again later, (I have lost a couple of files that haven't returned, including 4 layouts I have in my gallery on sg) which is really wierd. My mastercook files were all there one day and then they were gone. For two weeks I had to search for the files in my documents to find a recipe. Now all of a sudden there they all are. (I know it happened because my dh looked for them too and couldn't find them either. Now today they are back). I think I hear twilight zone music playing in the background. :D.

Wow, thanks Karina, I'm not alone!!! :D. I haven't tried using cd's but the dvd's are doing it for me. I used to copy my files all the time on my Gateway using Vista, by dropping and dragging and had no problem so I'm sure it's not Vista, but my computer. I've also had files disappearing from my computer and then show up again later, (I have lost a couple of files that haven't returned, including 4 layouts I have in my gallery on sg) which is really wierd. My mastercook files were all there one day and then they were gone. For two weeks I had to search for the files in my documents to find a recipe. Now all of a sudden there they all are. (I know it happened because my dh looked for them too and couldn't find them either. Now today they are back). I think I hear twilight zone music playing in the background. :D.

Rosemary I brought brownies & a shoulder. . .I'll sit while you wait for help. . .

If I were both of you, I'd call Dell or Microsoft and find out why. I use an actual program in my XP called Sonic to burn my DVDs. It came with my HP Computer. Vista may have a glitch or there must be a better way. I don't use VISTA but I'd suggest asking someone or hoping someone here knows how to use VISTA! This is one other reason why I havent gone to Vista.

If I were both of you, I'd call Dell or Microsoft and find out why. I use an actual program in my XP called Sonic to burn my DVDs. It came with my HP Computer. Vista may have a glitch or there must be a better way. I don't use VISTA but I'd suggest asking someone or hoping someone here knows how to use VISTA! This is one other reason why I havent gone to Vista.

V you have Sonic??? I have sonic & never used it. . .Do you love it??? I guess you must if you're using it. . .lol

HOPEFULLY Dee will stroll by & see this I've read her Vista posts & sounds like she's an expert with it. . .Makes me have Vista envy. . .LOL. . .I have Vista program I bought but I've been too scared to install it. . .

Want to wait with Rosemary & I ??? Got brownies

Karina is 100% correct on this one. When I switched to Vista I started having issues with my multiple tower burner (what I use to burn all the club cd's) I could not get the cd's to work in it after I burned them on my new computer...but if I did it the same way I always had with my husbands XP it worked fine. After several months of pulling my hair out, looking to see if there was any kind of Vista updates I finally wrote the company of the burner to find out what might be going on. And they told me the exact same thing. When you use the drag and drop method on Vista your CD is not finalized as it was on XP. You have to use a program to actually "burn" the cd/dvd.

I just got a new Dell a few months ago and Roxio was already installed on it. When I put in my cd/dvd the screen pops up and if you scroll down a bit burning your cd with Roxio Creator is an option. When I use that, my tower works with no problem. So you might want to see if yours has a program already built in and try that.

I had this problem too.

Here's how I work around it.

Put in disc.

When autoplay menu appears, select "Burn files to disc using Windows."

Next menu appears. Enter title, then click "show formatting options" arrow.

I select "mastered" because I want it permanent and Mac compatible.

Drag files to disc and burn.

I wasted so many discs until I tried this method, and now I have no problems, and peace of mind! HTH!

I have windows XP and Never used the drag and drop option. When I put an empty disc in a window pop ups and I just select SONIC for burning my DVDs. It does have lightscribe but I've never used it and I don't know how...now thats sad really!

Thanks so much for all the help ladies. I know Roxio was on here somewhere so i'll have to try that. I used up all of my dvds yesterday trying to figure out the problem so today I need to stock up on some more. It's so wierd that I could drop and drag in vista with my Gateway but not on the Dell. I wish I would have figured it out sooner, but better late than never :;):. Off to find some dvds.

Archived