Great Book!

Smiles

I saw a plug for this on Powell's website, and got it at the library.

It really deserves the good press.

The German occupation of the Channel Islands in WWII hasn't had a lot of press - this really brings it home.

Read it - you won't be sorry!

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh, I just finished this! It was wonderful. As several people mentioned, I didn't know about the channel islands being occupied. The history was interesting. The format was also well done - it is a series of letters between the characters. This was the first & last book by the author and was really a labor of love, so the spark is there and she had a real gift for storytelling. Although there are sad parts, the book is upbeat & gently humorous. I loved it!

• 3 months later...

That would be a good idea, Ann. I picked this book up at the airport last weekend and just started it yesterday. So far, it is delightful. And like most everyone else here, I didn't khow this Occupation occurred.

If you like epistolary books and haven't read it, try 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff.

Sarah, 84 Charing Cross Road is one of my very favorites, and so is the sequel "The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street." Since they're short, they're often sold together. I also love the movie, with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft(?)

I really enjoy books about this period. "Dearest Ones" is compilation of letters by a young American woman who works in the Red Cross in England during WWII; I like it, too.

I forgot to come back here to let you know that I finally got the book after being on the waiting list at the library. It was absolutely delightful. When I first started reading it - it being a series of letters - I thought I wouldn't get into it very well. But it came together for me very shortly and the characters came alive.

Get a copy and read it. You will find yourself not being able to put it down.

Archived