Photo Letters

DDecker

I am trying to fill letters with a photo. If I put the type over the photo and then select and copy, only the type is copied. I even merged the layers and the same thing happened. I have the feeling this should be very simple but am jus not getting it to happn. I couldn't find anything in the SGU so someone please HELP me!

I don't know PSP at all, but what you need to do is get the marching ants around the letters, then switch to the photo layer, Select>Inverse, and delete. Then make the text layer invisible so you can be sure it worked.

Ahh, something I think I can help you with, ;). When doing the letters, are they appearing as selections over the photo? Here is how I fill letters in PSP. I have a layer that is the photo I would like to use to fill the letters, then I make a new layer above the photo layer, I type over the parts of the photo that I want to use to fill the letters, then I simply click on the photo layer in the layers palette, leaving the selections or letters as they are, then I copy and and then paste to a new layer. This is how I fill letters with photos. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it but this is just the way that seems easier for me. ;) I hope this helps, if not I'd be more than willing to go through a step by step thing to help out, :).

Here's an example of what I think you are trying to do:

Well here's a few different ways

Open your photo as a seperate image.
Jump back to your layout and choose pattern fill from your materials palette. Scroll up to the very top of all your patterns/fills. Any open image you have will show up at the top. Select the photo.
Make the text as usual now...PSP will use whatever's in the materials palette to stroke/fill the text, and now it just happens to be your photo.

Or open your photo and copy it.
Create your text as "selection."
Then when you have the text/marquee right, edit/paste into selection.

Or create your text as floating and keep the marquee
Drag the photo from the browser to your image.
This will make it a new layer but you'll still see the marquee from the lower text layer
Stay on the photo layer
Invert selection, delete

Hope that helps

Archived