Re-june-venate!

AngRoCamp

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task #14 - done

Task #15

Perhaps because I'm a reader,or perhaps because I'm so new to SG, I really had to look hard for something on the Home Page that I did not know was there. But this is what I discovered:

a. ScrapGirls is part of the Better Business Bureau!

b. There is a Search function, though I must say that when I tried it, I did not find what I hoped to find.

c. I had not known that there were EMBELLISHMENT templates...gotta check it out...

TAsk #16

This is going to be tough because, as a newbie, I don't have a lot of papers.

SG_Refresh2_Paper_DEB_Blue http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/4606/

SG_Refresh2_Paper_DMI_Alive

TCS_Dreamer_12x12_LightDots http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/12788/dreamer-Paper

TCS_Dreamer_12x12_Orange

I will tell you, however, that I intend on getting the Bungalow papers one of these days...I've seen great pages with this series! http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/14783/

Task # 25

All finished, and I started a topic on Tablets, hoping to get lots of cool tips!

I'm anxious to read comments and tips re: Tablets, too, Shannon. Thanks for starting this thread.

Task #26

Get to know your camera a little better. Experiment by taking photos using three different camera settings.

Task requirement: Post to this thread describing the different settings you tried.

Task #26

Get to know your camera a little better. Experiment by taking photos using three different camera settings.

Task requirement: Post to this thread describing the different settings you tried

I decided to pull out one of my longer lenses because I haven’t used them as much as my shorter lenses. I played with it outside hoping for some birds to visit, but they were feeling shy today, so I started playing with

1. Faster shutter speeds, because I was hand holding a heavy lens, and it was no problem since it was bright and sunny outside.

2. Then I decided to try to slow things down a bit and upped my aperture to a bigger number, to make the opening smaller. Needing to use the tripod on this now.

3. It was still too bright to make the waterfall more like cotton candy, so I decided to add a filter to my lens to help darken things a little bit. It didn’t work the greatest because it is so sunny out, but I was able to slow things down a little on the waterfall in my backyard, and on the fountain and flowers in my front yard as well. I realized I had used the wrong filter at first so I switched to a circular polerizer and was able to do a better job with the waterfall slowing down. cool effect! :D

I just did mine just now. I learned about:

Long Shutter Speeds up to 13"

Color Modes=Vivid, B/w, Sepia and Custom

ISO changed up to 1600

Of course took a few photos with that and now battery is saying its dying so time to change the batteries again :) Thank Goodness for Rechargeable Batteries! :D

Task #26

I used several different camera settings today.

1. I used the macro setting to take photos of a dahlia which decided to open up today.

2. I used the sports action mode to take some photos of hummingbirds, and also some shots of my DH swinging a golf club. I love that in this mode the camera will take continuous images when you hold the shutter button down.

3. I used the sutter speed priority mode and took some shots of a fountain, seeing the results at different shutter speeds. The slower shutter speed captures the flow of the water while a faster speed captures the individual drops. You can get some very interesting shots this way.

Task #26:

easy peasy for me being on vacation, lol:

Auto exposure lock: locks the exposure while you recompose for the actual shot that you want (helps in such situations as back-lit subject)

Back focus button: locks the focus so I can recompose and let the camera do the exposure on the full scene

Flash exposure compensation: we leave this one set on minus 1 at all times b/c I find that the on-camera flash is just too harsh. When at all possible we use the detachable flash and bounce the light up off the ceiling or wall, but when not practical, will use the flash compensation on the on-camera flash.

Task #27

Explore the boutique and identify 3 ScrapGirls products/collections that would compliment the photos you selected in task #26

Task requirement: Post to this thread and share links to the three products you found.

Task #26

I don't think i have as fancy of a camera as some of you gals but I tried

1. Action mode: took shoots of Sawyer on the slip and slide

2. A burst function that I took a series of a shots of a friends son blowing bubbles

3. the macro function did a close up of a lady bug didn't come out that great tho!

Task #26 I got to know my camera a lot better.

This task tied in perfectly with my signing up for the Scrapgirls photography class that begins Monday. In preparation for that I found my camera manual and read it. When I read this task I decided to try every setting! I'll just pick three to write about. This will be very basic -- I only have the point and shoot Sony Cybershot DSC-W70 -- but it's big for me because I have just been shooting in automatic for the most part the last 2.5 years since I got the camera.

1. I finally understand that after I turn the dial away from Automatic to "P" or twilight mode or even video mode, and then click the Menu button, I get long list of settings to change: color, focus, white balance, ISO, flash level, contrast, sharpness, etc. I tried them all. I especially like the Rich color setting. I wondered what the difference is between contrast and sharpness. Is contrast comparing dark and light areas, while sharpness just makes everything clearer?

2. I read something about ISO recently and realized I possibly had it set too high. I had it set as high as it goes, but that means the photo will be grainy. I think my photos have gotten sharper since I turned the ISO down.

3. The last thing I played with was Focus. I can have a multi-focus, a center focus, set a number from 0.5m to 7m, or choose a symbol which I think is supposed to mean infinity. Is that right? I need to take some more photos at the different settings, but of the same object and scene, so I can compare and see the difference.

Glad to be finally getting out of Automatic!

I am skipping Task #23 for now. I will get back to it later.

Today I played with my camera. I have an Olympus FE-340. I played with some of the features that the guide setting will give me.

1. I experiemented with color effects. So, I can compensate for a cloudy day or give my photos a distinct tint, such as blue.

2. I tried the targeting with assistance setting. Pretty boring. Just gridlines on the screen to remind you to use the rule of thirds. I have young kids. I don't have time for that.

3. Set particular lighting. I can set for outdoor in sunny, outdoor in cloudy, incandescent lighting, warm fluorescent, neutral white fluorescent, and cool white fluorescent. Who know there were so many types of fluorescent lighting. I thought that there was one type, harsh. I used the outdoor in cloudy to get a really cute picture of my youngest.

Task 26: working with my Canon Rebel XT (that was something I relearned ... what model do I have :))

first: I found my manual on line and downloaded so I have it to refer back to when needed.

second: I finally got into my head all the different icons and what they mean on my settings button. And then, it was time to play!

#1 ... I played with the different settings today while on a hike on the trail to Multnomha Falls ... I played with macros for close-ups on flowers and got some great texture shots which will be fun for making paper.

#2 ... I played with composition and framing a focal point for a photo while using the panoramic setting.

#3 ... And I played with the action setting while taking pictures of water trying to capture the individual droplets and ripples in the mini-rapids. Fun comparisons of water and how it looks with all the different settings.

I've not had to use all these different functions much because most of the time I'm taking pictures of quilts ... no flash and no fancy stuff ... just lighting that will show off the relief created by the quilting stitches. I've enjoyed "expanding my horizons" today.

Irish Blessing is a LO I created from one of my flower close-ups from today's photo shoot.

Task 27: 3 SG products that might work with the photos I took today ...

MRE Fireside Collection

EHI Creative Spirit Paper Templates

BMU Mossy Collection

Task #28

Create a layout using the photos you selected in task #26.

Task requirement: Post your LO in the gallery, and return to this thread and share the link to your LO.

Task #26

Was at Sea World, and had to use several different settings to get various photo's.

1. I Took indoor picture through glass of Penquins, and for the first time I used the night setting on my camera. Was surprised at how the photo came out.

2. Used Shutter Priority to be able to take the whales during a show. The faster shutter speed allow for me to stop the action to get the photo.

3. Used Aperture Priorty setting to focus in on my subject and blur the background a bit.

Archived