Need Help With Ehd Back-up

Hi Gals,

I've been using a 500 GB Maxtor OneTouch 4 to back up my laptop and that's been going well. Since my laptop's hard drive is getting full, I thought I would purchase another just for photographs and digital scrapbooking supplies and delete everything off my laptop. I bought the second one today (same size, same brand), came home and hooked it up. I marked one "Complete System" and one "Photos and Digital Scrapbooking." I set the second one just to back-up my photo and digi supplies and left the other one set to back up my whole system.

THEN, I deleted some files off my laptop and synced my EHD's. The files that I deleted off my laptop's hard-drive were also deleted from BOTH EHD's!!!! This didn't happen when I just had the single EHD. If I deleted files off my laptop they would still stay on my EHD.

Does anyone have any advice? I am totally terrified to move forward with my grand plan, since the way it is now, my EHD's would delete everything.

Any help would be much appreciated!

YIKES!!

Can you go back to a restore point? Go to start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

Then you can choose the last available restore point. You might still lose a few things, but not EVERYTHING. Also, it's reversible.

You can also create restore points before you make any big changes.

Hope it works!!!

EEK! I don't even know what to suggest though, I'm never sure on stuff with EHD. Can you move things manually (drag and drop), rather than through an auto syncing? Not sure if that's an option. The restore point might be a good idea.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't actually lose anything (I hadn't dumped my recycle bin and was able to put them back). I was hoping I could get some advice on how to make my plan work, so I can clear some space on my laptop, make complete system back-ups (via sync) to EHD1 and use EHD2 for my scrap supplies and photos. I know people do this all the time -- I am just wondering how, without losing the data altogether.

Thanks again!

I tend not to use the back up software that comes on EHD's (actually I tend to reformat them before using them).

Something to look at is...are there different "modes" of back up? Maybe experimenting with those will yield the results you're looking for. Great idea not to empty your recycle bin so you can restore - after your experiments!

• 2 months later...

I've had three EHD's. The first one just plain quit. I had the feeling that it got so warm that it burned out the EHD enclosure's cable thingys. My son paid someone in the techie trade big bucks to retrieve the photos. The fellow used an expensive commercial program but it was touch and go.

I have my 3rd EHD sitting here and I'm always wondering when it will just up and die.

So I always put new edited photos on disks as well as on the EHD. which I've always done manually. I either do "Save As" to my EHD or "drag" files over to the EHD, or do a "Copy File/s" to the EHD. I guess I feel I have more control that way but I am watching and reading, looking for a better way to do it. Carbonite might be the way to go.

Now with all this good stuff I've downloaded from Scrap Girls I'd die if I lost it.

I bought PSE7 today. Yippee. $80 at Sams. It's not the expensive version that will do audios and videos as I don't think I'll need that. I'm sure you'll be hearing "Help Pleeezze" :banghead: from me soon. I love that little guy! It's so Me...

Archived