Scrapsimple Lo Templates

Hi, I am totally new to this and would love some help with using the ScrapSimple LO Templates. I use Photoshop Elements 7 (actually, I'm just trying to learn the software) so I'm at a very elementary level on my scrapbooking. I've looked in the University section but I think the instructions are a bit beyond my comprehension yet. So, how about some back to basics suggestions.

I have several of the templates and here's what I've been doing......please comment.........

1. I open a New document 12 x 12 Transparent Background

2. Then I open all the pieces of the template

3. Then I assemble the template by "Moving" the pieces individually and holding down the "Shift" key. This seems to snap the pieces to the correct position in the LO

This is where I get a little confused............

Let's say I want the background filled with paper, I assume I open the paper, Select the proper layer, Move the paper in holding down the Shift key, and then "Cntrl G". I repeat that with all the pieces, pix, etc.

When I'm finished, do I just leave all the layers 'as is'. I've seen in some of the instructions "Merge Visible". I don't know what that does or when I should do it, if at all.

Gosh, I hope this doesn't bore experienced scrappers to distraction; but, I would appreciate any light anyone can shine on this process. I don't know why it seems so mysterious to me. Thank you so much.

You've got it!!!

You can merge the visible layers, but I would suggest not :) Merging visible layers makes them stick all together with no way of undoing them once you save that way.

What I do is save with all of the layers intact- as a photoshop file- psd. Then I go in and Save As a jpg file- this is the one that you will print and can resize up or down as you like- it will automatically merge all of your layers and you will have a flat picture. Saving the orginal file as a psd file allows you to open it up in the future and play around with it some more if you like! (like if you spelled something incorrectly... or decided to add a different picture or replace the background etc...)

Can't wait to see your layout- be sure to share it if you like so we can ohh and ahh over it ;)

HTH

It sounds like you have it going right. I like to leave everything as is, i dont merge. Why? because i have in the past changed things after i have finished. IF you merge, after you save, you cant come back and unmerge.

also a side note, the Digital Layout Templates that say "layered" come with a .psd file. Rather than opening every single piece and placing them. just open this .psd file, save it as a new name... and use it! Its allready pieced for you.

Hope that helps.

please ask more if you have more questions!

Actually - the "layered" part was taken out of the product name recently. Some of the layered ones may still have the word "layered" in the marketing image when you hover over it. But the Boutique names themselves don't have the word in it anymore.

I don't usually "merge visible" either. I will do a "merge down" which makes the shape and the paper layers 1 single layer. I like to save my layered PSD's in case I want to change something easily later.

I do save layouts as JPEGs, though, and that is sort of the same as the merge visible that you asked about. When you save as a JPEG, you end up with a single layer of your layout. I keep my PSD's, too, though.

also a side note, the Digital Layout Templates that say "layered" come with a .psd file. Rather than opening every single piece and placing them. just open this .psd file, save it as a new name... and use it! Its allready pieced for you.

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry to ask again something that was already answered but I don't understand what is meant by the side note you have. I get very confused about using a .psd file. Is there a way to explain it in very simple terms or a tut, so I can understand it better. I'm sorry to be a bother.

Thank you

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry to ask again something that was already answered but I don't understand what is meant by the side note you have. I get very confused about using a .psd file. Is there a way to explain it in very simple terms or a tut, so I can understand it better. I'm sorry to be a bother.

Thank you

If you are using PSE or Photoshop, the standard file format is .psd (photoshop document). Some of the newer (from somewhere in 2007 forward) layout templates in the Boutique come with the standard individual .png files that you have to drag and assemble yourself. But they also come with a pre-assembled .psd file too. If you are using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, it makes it a lot easier to use your templates. But if you are using PSP or another scrapbooking software, the .psd file won't work. So that's why they all still include the individual .png files too.

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps.

Thank you

If you are using PSE or Photoshop, the standard file format is .psd (photoshop document). Some of the newer (from somewhere in 2007 forward) layout templates in the Boutique come with the standard individual .png files that you have to drag and assemble yourself. But they also come with a pre-assembled .psd file too. If you are using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, it makes it a lot easier to use your templates. But if you are using PSP or another scrapbooking software, the .psd file won't work. So that's why they all still include the individual .png files too.

Hope that helps!

Ok, I have PSE7, so I would just use the .psd file? Is there directions included to using the .psd file?

I do appreciate your help!

Ok, I have PSE7, so I would just use the .psd file? Is there directions included to using the .psd file?

I do appreciate your help!

Yes, when you downloaded your digital layout templates, there should have been a zip file called "1_SG_ScrapSimple_DigitalLayoutTemplates.zip" and within that folder, there was a file called "ScrapSimple Digital Layout and Craft Templates.pdf". These are the instructions you want to follow. Step 1 says to open a blank document. Step 2 gives you the directions to drag and drop all the files together to make your layered template file. If you open the .psd file, just bypass that step and go straight to step 3 and continue on.

Let me know if you need more help!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm in the middle of my first layout using the templates (SS Lots of Shots)and I drag my paper or photo into the layer above the template icon layer where I want it, and then linked them together by holding alt and clicking between the two layers I want together. Does that do the same thing? I'm using PSE7 on a PC, if that matters.

Archived