Help With Loading Actions And Styles On Mac

Hi, all! I have a new MAC (2 months now) and I am still having trouble loading my actions and styles. For the brushes, I just "drag and drop" and they show up in the brushes with no problem. But when I drag and drop the the styles or actions ... I get nothing. I am using PSE6.

Hi Dianne, I've just gone Mac too...LOVE LOVE LOVE it and what you need to do is copy all the .asl files into the preset folder of your PSE. (this is what we do for CS4 and as PSE is a version of Photoshop I would say that's the same). actions would be the same thing, copy your files into the actions folder of the presets. You can find the preset folder in Finder/Applications/PhotoshopElements/Presets...and in there are the styles, actions etc folders. Pop them in there, and then open up PSE. if you have it open while doing all this you will not see your styles until you restart photoshop.

I hope this makes sense and helps, just shout out if you need any more help

Here's the instructions i've received from a Mac user

STYLES -

Where are you installing the ASL files? They should go here:

Macintosh HD\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en-US\Photo Creations\Layer Styles

ACTIONS -

When you install actions in PSE6 you need a png file to go with the action to run it .. so open up the psd file that came with the PSE4 action and resave it as a png file.

Close Elements

Then place the action and png file in this folder:

MACINTOSH HD\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\Photo Effects

Next rename the Mediadatabase.db3 to MediadatabaseOLD.db3 (it is located at Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\ en-US) and restart Elements ... the Mediadatabase.db3 will rebuild but you may have to wait a while for it to do so.

You action will then appear under Show All ...

And what another customer told me

I finally got it to work! Here�s what I did. I copied the BMU_SSTools_Actions_SketchIt_PSE6 and MRE_SSTools_PhotoBasics_PSE6 fp;ders, then pasted them into the Photo Effects folder (in the location you gave me.) I then moved the Mediadatabase.db3 folder to the desktop instead of changing it to MediadatabaseOLD.db3, restarted PSE 6.0 and it worked. I then put the old Mediadatabase.db3 folder in the trash

If you'd like email me and I can send you a new link to one of your actions and styles and you can download the instructions from there

Here's the instructions i've received from a Mac user

STYLES -

Where are you installing the ASL files? They should go here:

Macintosh HD\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en-US\Photo Creations\Layer Styles

ACTIONS -

When you install actions in PSE6 you need a png file to go with the action to run it .. so open up the psd file that came with the PSE4 action and resave it as a png file.

Close Elements

Then place the action and png file in this folder:

MACINTOSH HD\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\Photo Effects

Next rename the Mediadatabase.db3 to MediadatabaseOLD.db3 (it is located at Library\Application Support\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\ en-US) and restart Elements ... the Mediadatabase.db3 will rebuild but you may have to wait a while for it to do so.

You action will then appear under Show All ...

And what another customer told me

I finally got it to work! Here�s what I did. I copied the BMU_SSTools_Actions_SketchIt_PSE6 and MRE_SSTools_PhotoBasics_PSE6 fp;ders, then pasted them into the Photo Effects folder (in the location you gave me.) I then moved the Mediadatabase.db3 folder to the desktop instead of changing it to MediadatabaseOLD.db3, restarted PSE 6.0 and it worked. I then put the old Mediadatabase.db3 folder in the trash

If you'd like email me and I can send you a new link to one of your actions and styles and you can download the instructions from there

Wow! Angie, thanks so much! I am at work and not in front of my MAC ... but I was just dying to know the solution. As soon as I get home this evening, I will get in front of "my baby" and give this a go. I am so loving my new Computer!!!! Can't wait to try this out .... maybe I'm not feeling well ... I should probably take a sick day ((cough)) ((cough)) .... talk to you soon!!!

Hi Dianne, I've just gone Mac too...LOVE LOVE LOVE it and what you need to do is copy all the .asl files into the preset folder of your PSE. (this is what we do for CS4 and as PSE is a version of Photoshop I would say that's the same). actions would be the same thing, copy your files into the actions folder of the presets. You can find the preset folder in Finder/Applications/PhotoshopElements/Presets...and in there are the styles, actions etc folders. Pop them in there, and then open up PSE. if you have it open while doing all this you will not see your styles until you restart photoshop.

I hope this makes sense and helps, just shout out if you need any more help

Jo, you are an angel! Thank you so much for your help!!! I can't wait to get home and give these wonderful solutions a try. Boy, there is just so much to learn ... but learning is fun, not a burden!!!! I never thought I'd leave my Dell for a MAC .... BUT I AM SO HAPPY!!!!! I will let you know what happens when I get home tonight and try this out! You rock! Thanks again!

I can't help.............I can only envy your Mac. :( LOL

Janine, you are truly amazing!! You are always right there trying to help me. I appreciate you more than you realize! By the way, you've just got to get a MAC ..... you will LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

Dianne I don't have a Mac but I know there are a few out there that do. I'll be interested in hearing the responses because someday I want a mac too :)

Vaughnde .... you're awesome! Thanks for the support! When you get your MAC .... shout it from the rooftops .... oh, girl! You will be in cyber heaven! Thanks for your sweet comments, this time, and always!

Archived