Layers

Guest bellagirl

Guest bellagirl
I am not sure how to explain this but the windows that display the layers in my PSE don`t look like the ones in the tutorials I downloaded from scrapgirls. The tutorials show a window with the ability to minimize, restore down and close the layer. I dont understand what I am doing wrong. I open the layer, rename it and save it but it never has that bar across the top to give me the option to do the things that you can do in the tutorials which makes it difficult to follow the instructions. I am really getting frustrated, I am new to digi-scrapbooking and really want to learn how to do it but I`m about ready to give it up.and go back to only paper scrapping. Can someone please help me? Can you also direct me to a website that has a beginners chat room or free tutorials to help me. I have bought tutorials and papers and embellishments and refuse to buy anything else untill I learn what I`m doing. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :penguins:

Hi there!

Will you go ahead and send me an email? rozanne@scrapgirls.com. I'm fairly certain that you are in the wrong mode and that we can get you sorted and on your way fairly easily. I'll ask you to send me a screenshot of what you are seeing to help us out. To do this all you need to do is:

1. Open PSE and get it where you are describing in your post
2. Hit Alt and the Print Screen buttons at the same time
3. Open a Word document and the use the paste command. You'll see that the window you were looking at in PSE shows up in your Word document.
4. Save the Word document with the screenshot in it and send it to me.

That will help me see for sure what you are doing wrong. I've helped tons of people and it is usually the simpliest thing in the world to fix, once I see what they are up to.

Oh - and one more thing... Did you read the PDF that came with the tutorials? It was labeled very clearly that it should be read before the movies start. This is because it really goes over the file open, that bottom bar, and the layers windows completely - as that is a common point of confusion.

Another thing I want to ask - it might seem obvious and you are probably doing it okay - but make sure you have started at the first movie (movie 1) and then move to movie 2, etc. I've had a number of people start in the middle (like on number 17 or something) and confuse themselves that way because they didn't get the beginning at all!

Ro

I wonder if your document is full screen? Is the close/minimize/resize bar for the document you are working on at the very top, just under the close/minimize icons for the Elements program?

This sounds exactly like the thing that got me stumped when I first started.

First check that you are in standard edit mode, and not quick fix mode - The buttons are in the top right hand corner, just click on them.

Second you need to select 'cascade' for the windows view. This is the left hand side of the miniscule icons just above the two mode buttons mentioned above. That is in the very top right hand corner just below the program window bar. There are the usual maximize, minimize, resize and the extra cascade icon.

Once I had done this I found that everything looked exactly like it does in Ro's excellant tutorials and it was just a matter of playing around to get the feel of the program.

Don't worry if its not obvious to you it took me a long while to figure it out for myself and I have over 15 years of computer experience.

Guest bellagirl
[quote name='gritstoner' date='May 28 2006, 11:41 AM' post='43677']
This sounds exactly like the thing that got me stumped when I first started.

First check that you are in standard edit mode, and not quick fix mode - The buttons are in the top right hand corner, just click on them.

Second you need to select 'cascade' for the windows view. This is the left hand side of the miniscule icons just above the two mode buttons mentioned above. That is in the very top right hand corner just below the program window bar. There are the usual maximize, minimize, resize and the extra cascade icon.

Once I had done this I found that everything looked exactly like it does in Ro's excellant tutorials and it was just a matter of playing around to get the feel of the program.

Don't worry if its not obvious to you it took me a long while to figure it out for myself and I have over 15 years of computer experience.
[/quote

[font="Century Gothic"]Roxanne just emailed me back with the same information and that is exactly what it was. I am so thankful that I came upon this site everyone is so helpful and supportive. And yes, Ro does have excellent tutorials and now I can learn what is in them instead of concentrating on mine not looking like hers.[/font]

Archived