Photography Class

I have an Olympus C-3020 Zoom which was a gift several years ago. A while back, I was whining about wanting a camera with more bells and whistles. I finally took the time to (ahem) look through the camera's manual and discovered, much to my surprise, that it has a lot of really nice features. The only thing I can't do with it is change the lens. All the time I'd been using it as a point and shoot! That'll teach me not to read up on my toys!

When in doubt, read the manual, eh? Isn't it fun to make those discoveries? One of the main things I want to do with the class is encourage you to get to know the features of your camera. If you haven't already done so, try to track down your manual. As JoEllen has pointed out, you might be pleaseantly surprised at what you find.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm loving reading this thread. I've decided I'll be the sleeper in this class...quiet, but I'll pop up for brownie points when you least expect it! =)

yea...got to watch out for those quiet ones! They just pop up when you aren't looking! lol

B)B)B) I'm not ALWAYS quiet...just sometimes.

I have had my Canon Powershot G5 since the fall of 2003 and only got out the manual last summer! My DS was taking a 4-H photography project and bought himself a newer version of my camera and was doing cool stuff. I knew my camera was a little more advanced than his so I dug out the manual and started reading up on all the extra stuff I can do. I almost always fiddle with the white balance because I hate shooting with a flash. I'm still not big on using the shutter and aperture priority, mainly because I get impatient and just want to get the shot. Hopefully I can take that to the next level.

I'll watch all you girls with your Sony cameras and maybe I'll learn to like my little one more...but for now, it can't hold a candle to my old Canon (which I learned can save in RAW--haven't tried it yet though).

Now off to find my recipe for Ho Ho Cake to sneak into class for the teacher....

I have had my Canon Powershot G5 since the fall of 2003 and only got out the manual last summer! My DS was taking a 4-H photography project and bought himself a newer version of my camera and was doing cool stuff. I knew my camera was a little more advanced than his so I dug out the manual and started reading up on all the extra stuff I can do. I almost always fiddle with the white balance because I hate shooting with a flash. I'm still not big on using the shutter and aperture priority, mainly because I get impatient and just want to get the shot. Hopefully I can take that to the next level.

I'll watch all you girls with your Sony cameras and maybe I'll learn to like my little one more...but for now, it can't hold a candle to my old Canon (which I learned can save in RAW--haven't tried it yet though).

Now off to find my recipe for Ho Ho Cake to sneak into class for the teacher....

Aren't you the sneaky one! I'm going to bring some yummy homemade ice cream....

This is going to be a fun class! Maybe we need a class on RAW? I haven't tackled that learning curve yet!

Oh, I so wish I could take this, but just can swing it right now. :( I don't have a digital SLR, but have a Pentax K1000 that I'm guessing I could use. I'd just have to get my film developed. :D Oh well, I will have to keep an eye open for the next time it's offered.

Whatever happened to the old apple for the teacher?

It's all Char's fault.....could she start with an apple? Oh no, she went right for the juglar with roses.....can you believe roses? lol The stakes just keep going up from there! Now it's money of all things! I noticed though, ME isn't mentioning the bribes! Maybe she wants to see how high us shameless SG's will go!

:disappearing-smilie: :disappearing-smilie: :disappearing-smilie:

I'll have to pass this time around, as I don't have a DSLR. I'm still using my little Kodak Easy Share C653. I'm looking for a new camera, as I want to be able to get in real close on my subjects and take nice photos of flowers in the sun without the flowers turning almost white against the green leaves. This camera just doesn't do it for me anymore. Any suggestions for a camera from all of you experts out there? I was looking at the newer Kodak Z980 (Ithink that's the model #), but it's not a DSLR. So, any suggestions for a nice DSLR would be appreciated.

Oh, heck. After reading some of this thread, I decided to go ahead and jiump in and join the class. It couldn't hurt, right? And I might learn a bunch of stuff, which would be good for my next camera.

Did it. I am now enrolled in the photography class.

lol

You sound like me.

Just couldn't resist, huh?

:)

And...um...Margot...check post #58.

:disappearing-smilie:

lol

You sound like me.

You got that right, Charlene. Just couldn't resist. :P

:dancing_penguin:

lol

You sound like me.

Oh Char - you would point the finger at sweet innocent me???? I only put out the challenge and you jumped right in with the roses!!!

Okay, I've almost decided to join the class. However, I just remembered that the trip we're planning near the end of July will mean I'll miss several days, like around July 22 to 28, which includes one Monday. I will not be completely out of touch, and I definitely will have my camera with me, but I might not check online every day (particularly the two days we'll be flying cross country). Will that be okay?

I just saw a Pentax 14.6MP D-SLR Camera w/ 3x Wide Zoom Lens& 3yr Warranty on QVC for today's price of $699 and the

Shp 7/10 Pentax 55-300mm TelephotoZoomLens&Hoodfor Pentax DSLR for $299, today only. Does anyone know about this camera? I know Pentax is a good name. Is this a reasonable price or is it too expensive. I can get it with their easy pay of 4 installments. After today the price goes back to $820 for the camera and $329 for the lens.

I just saw a Pentax 14.6MP D-SLR Camera w/ 3x Wide Zoom Lens& 3yr Warranty on QVC for today's price of $699 and the

Shp 7/10 Pentax 55-300mm TelephotoZoomLens&Hoodfor Pentax DSLR for $299, today only. Does anyone know about this camera? I know Pentax is a good name. Is this a reasasonable price or is it too expensive. I can get it with their easy pay of 4 installments. After today the price goes back to $820 for the camera and $329 for the lens.

Carol - I'm not familiar with that camera - it sounds a little high. Why don't you goon line and google this model and see what the price range is at various stores. Someone mentioned B & H as being reliable. You can then make an in formed decision as tp whether QVC is a good price or not. would probably stay away from E-Bay.

HTH

The good thing about being a 'sometimes quiet' person is that you definitely get the attention when you're not quiet!

Oooh -- a Ho Ho Cake recipe sounds very intriquing - can't wait.

Aren't you the sneaky one! I'm going to bring some yummy homemade ice cream....

This is going to be a fun class! Maybe we need a class on RAW? I haven't tackled that learning curve yet!

Homemade ice cream! My goodness, you're going to spoil me for sure

You're right -- it does sound like here is a place for a class in RAW -- we won't really have a chance to get into that in this class but good idea for a future class.

Whatever happened to the old apple for the teacher?

Good question, Sandi. What I'd like to know is how I seem to have required the reputation for needing bribes. :unsure:

[aside] still, if it makes them happy.... :i-love-it:

Oh, I so wish I could take this, but just can swing it right now. :( I don't have a digital SLR, but have a Pentax K1000 that I'm guessing I could use. I'd just have to get my film developed. :D Oh well, I will have to keep an eye open for the next time it's offered.

Sorry that you won't be able to join us this time, Julie. Some of the course material applies equally well to the SLR but you really do want to go with digital for much of the "technical" stuff.

Hope to see you next round.

It's all Char's fault.....could she start with an apple? Oh no, she went right for the juglar with roses.....can you believe roses? lol The stakes just keep going up from there! Now it's money of all things! I noticed though, ME isn't mentioning the bribes! Maybe she wants to see how high us shameless SG's will go!

:disappearing-smilie: :disappearing-smilie: :disappearing-smilie:

LOL Good thinking, Margot. Maybe I should just let you ladies battle it out. But that wasn't my plan (well, it wasn't my original plan anyway) -- actually, just didn't get a chance to get online earlier today to respond.

Carol:

Good to have you aboard. I'm glad that you decided to join us - it sounds like it is going to be a really fun group. Did you go for the Pentax deal you described?

Okay, I've almost decided to join the class. However, I just remembered that the trip we're planning near the end of July will mean I'll miss several days, like around July 22 to 28, which includes one Monday. I will not be completely out of touch, and I definitely will have my camera with me, but I might not check online every day (particularly the two days we'll be flying cross country). Will that be okay?

Michele, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm sending weekly emails with some challenge assignments and you have the week to play with the lessons for that unit. You'll be able to get the transcript when you return and post any questions so a trip during the class shouldn't cause you too much problem in terms of keeping up or following. I expect a number of people will have to miss at least one of the chats - it is hard to find a time that works for everyone for 6 consecutive weeks.

Michele, I'll be on vacation July 6, but I'm still taking the class. Figured I'd work on homework up in Canada! (No internet there...or electric either!)

Where are you travelling, Kim? It is a nice break to get away from the Internet on vacation. Though I hope you aren't suggestion we don't have those resources in the whole country :) Though the way my service is sometimes, you might argue the point. In fact, I recently heard a special report on CBC and they interviewed half-a-dozen people who really rough it when they go on vacations -- they described cottages without power or running water and one guy even spends 9 months of the year in a lean to with a sustinance organic farm. The thing that struck me as funny was that every one of the people had laptops and wireless connections [don't know how] AND they considered that essential service. Ok - I know, off the point but I thought it was an interesting story.

Okay - humming & haa'ing about taking this class, and by posting about it, I know that you'll talk me into it. I took the Debbie Layden a little while ago and it blew me away, as I have no doubt this one will as well.

So ... lay it on me ... I should sign up, right?!?!

Archived