Tablet

My tablet is super amazing for facebook games, like FarmTown and Bejeweled Blitz.

ROFL.

:D

That aside, I use it exclusively! I scrap with it -- much more efficiently and faster than I ever did with a mouse, plus it allows me lots of control for precision erasing and doodling. So fabulous, seriously. You need to use it -- it's amazing.

Also, I love my tablet for keeping my wrist NOT tired. If you are prone to carpal tunnel or if your wrist gets tired when you're scrapping, it's really a good thing. I was doing some big time organizing, and was using my tablet -- it was awesome. I switched to a mouse for a few days, and my wrist and hand were so tired after a few hours of it.

I love my tablet!!

Like Joann, I use my tablet exclusively. I use it instead of a mouse for everything, it is wonderful while scrapping and it is fabulous when organizing! You just program the pen buttons and you don't even have to use the keyboard to shift click or ctrl click. It's a tool I have come to depend on all the time.

What's the best way to learn to use one? I just ordered one today and when I tried it at the convention, it was so awkward! Are there little tablet exercises you can do to get good at it? Maybe I just need to play Bejeweled Blitz with it and then I'll get used to it!

Guest vanillasky43

I use my tablet for everything, I don't use my mouse anymore at all. It's great for scrapbooking and organising stuff. The way I learned to use it was to take away the mouse and just use the tablet. I did feel awkward at first but after a few days it was much easier and now I'd never go back to a mouse.

Leanne

The software for my tablet developed a problem last week, and it took a bit of time to get it sorted out. For a short while I had to go back to the mouse while I figured out where the problem was. Those hours were AWFUL! I couldn't go back to using the mouse.

I use the tablet for everything, it's so precise, so quick and it's touch is so light. I couldn't imagine doing some of the things I do if I had to use the mouse again..

I have problems now with my hands, old age creeping in I guess! :D And using the mouse is more of a problem these days. The pen is light and is more natural to hold, the fingers get stiff and sore when spread across the mouse - so if you're like me and have hand problems - look as using a good tablet - once you get the hang of it (it only takes a day or so, so persevere with it) you won't look back.

I use it exclusively too. took me about 2 minutes of using it for me to fall in love with it. I have to use a mouse with our computers at work and that just kills my hand and wrist, but this is so much less strain. I don't know why it seems so very intuitive to learn. I didn't really do anything to learn to use it, just seemed very natural to me. Maybe its because I write with a real pen so much during the day, that using this pen just fits well. I think if you're having trouble getting used to it, just use it exclusively for a few days and see if it gets better. I also can use a touch pad easily, but the tablet is the best. I think the precision when doing fine detail work is the best. I do some writing, notes and journaling too.

I use mine exclusively also. It is so easy on the hand and wrist. I found it relatively easy to use. I just packed my mouse away and now when I have to use a mouse it feels very awkward.

I am in the process of making a collage of all my ancestors and I can't imagine doing all that erasing/blending with a mouse. I love the precision and would not go back to a mouse.

I haven't done any writing and I'm not really a doodler, so haven't used the tablet for that.

I'm thinking maybe Ty would like to use it to draw and stuff on the computer too.

I open PC Paint for my DD and she just loves to scribble away. We've made several cards for the grandparents that way. He'll enjoy it, I am sure!

never use the mouse anymore...just use the pen for whatever i do.... reading emails to selections...i love it for selections...i just love it for everything...i thought it would be hard to get used to but it wasnt... i really dont know how i would do lo without it and it functions just fine when i just need it like a mouse...i dont consider myself an illustrator/artist so i dont use it to draw or doodle... but maybe i should find that side of my brain..lol.

I use my tablet 100% of the time when I'm using Illustrator and Photoshop to design and do layouts; I use the mouse for word processing.

It's really great and feels so natural for brush work in Photoshop. I just have the smallest Wacom but I like it because I like keeping my hand movements small.

Just set your mouse aside and use the pen for a day or two while doing layouts, and you'll love it!

• 4 weeks later...

I started using my tablet abit more lately. I don't really use it to its full potential though. I don't really know how to program the pen, etc.

However, I have a question. I misplaced my extra pen tips that came with it. Can those be purchased and if so, where?

Thnx!

Man...I need to drag mine back out, huh? lol

I didn't have a problem getting used to it...I guess I just didn't use it much. Maybe I'll pull it out for the next layout I do and see how it goes.

I even have Thao's Dynamic Brushes - Drawing... I need to play with them.

Charlene, I am doing what so many here suggested to do.... put away the mouse and just use the pen. I just started this morning. My tablet has alwaysss been sitting here next to my keyboard but I just didn't use it as much as I should have, I relied on the mouse too much. One thing I am noticing today that I don't think I like is that when browing around the message board and then wanting to post, I have to drop the pen to type. I doesn't seem like a natural transition to me from pen to keyboard, but I am sure with practice this will become more natural.

My advice is to send your mouse to Moscow, Idaho.

OK, I'm going to date myself a bit here... but I was making a living with computers before there was windows or a mouse. When we went through the big conversions and tried to get everyone (particularly corporate men) accustomed to the mouse, we gave them the game of solitaire to get used to the feel & process. I did the same thing with my pen, started with a big clunky game then made myself stop using the mouse at all for a couple of days. Actually, I left my mouse in a Moscow, Idaho hotel room so I had to use my pen exclusively... and now I love it. Thus, therefore, ergo... send your mouse to Moscow, Idaho.

I have discovered something cool about my pen, but not sure how I discovered it or how to make it do it again.

Out of the blue I had a grey bar towards the bottom of the screen (Im on a mini mac if that matters) and when I tapped it with my pen it took me to that browser page, and then when I tapped the side of the tablet with the pen it brought me back to the original browser page I was on, so I was able to very simply bounce between the two of them back and forth. I'm finding it easier to use the pen as the day goes on. I pulled my mouse off the computor and stuck it in the closet, to force me to only use the mouse. eek!

Patty Anne, it's just so good to see you here on the MB again! Now back to the pen and tablet. You've all got me just about convinced. Now what should I buy and where should I buy it? And can I use it on my desktop and my laptop? That's a pretty dumb question probablly!

I've never even looked at one. Can you tell?

Patty Anne, it's just so good to see you here on the MB again! Now back to the pen and tablet. You've all got me just about convinced. Now what should I buy and where should I buy it? And can I use it on my desktop and my laptop? That's a pretty dumb question probablly!

I've never even looked at one. Can you tell?

I had to go find mine. lol

It's a Bamboo by Wacom. The part of the tablet that you use looks to be about 4x6. Model #MTE-450A.

I walked into Best Buy and looked at them. I didn't get the "Bamboo fun" because I didn't want/need any extra software that it came with. And I think the "fun" comes with a mouse that I didn't need.

I guess now that I located mine and blew the dust off of it, maybe I should plug it into my compter, eh? lol

Oh...you should be able to use it on any/either computer.

Well...if I recall, when you plug it into the computer, it sends the info to it. (Or was there a CD?)

I meant that the Fun came with photo editing software. I don't remember which ones. Like an older version of PSE or something. I didn't want whatever it was.

Mine is not wireless. There might be some that are.

Here is the Wacom site.

Okay...it says the Fun comes with this for 20 more dollars (for the small which is $99...the medium is $199...the regular <not Fun> is $79)

"Bamboo Fun includes valuable creative software right in the box to help get your creative juices flowing.

•Adobe® Photoshop® Elements (6.0 WIN / 6.0 MAC) for editing, retouching, enhancing, organizing, and sharing digital photos

•Corel® Painter™ Essentials 4.0 for creating natural media art and turning photos into paintings

•Nik® Color Efex™ Pro 3.0 WE3 for selectively applying lighting and photo enhancements with the pen"

I love the pen too! I use mine 99% of the time. I do all of my LOs with it. It makes using brushes super fun and sometimes I add my own handwriting to my pages.

There are some practice exercises you can do to help you get used to the pen but like everyone else has said, you have to put the mouse away so you can get adjusted.

Archived