Thinking Of Buying A Mac Laptop

tresastev

I want to buy a laptop...and so many people tell me to buy an IMAC. I am nervous, however. I currently use PSE 7 with Windows Vista, and I read so much about how difficult it is to switch. Is it really that easy? I also notice on the message board all these different software names people use on a MAC...it sounds very confusing! What is the easiest way to get started on a MAC from what I have? Thanks!

tresastev

My husband I switched over from HP laptops to MacBooks last year, and we haven't looked back. In fact, I wish we had done it sooner! It really is that easy. Apple does a great job of making it easy. That's not say that there aren't some differences that you'll have to learn, but for us at least, the learning curve was very small and easily accomplished.

I'm not sure what software you're referring to that might be different. Your MacBook will come with all of the basic software already loaded. If you have an Apple store near you, the absolute best thing to do is to make an appt with one of the people down there and sit with them and have them show you it all. Make a list of questions, software you use on your PC and find out what has Mac versions and what doesn't.

As for PSE, you will need to get in touch with Adobe Customer Service. They will have you fill out and send back a Letter of Destruction, which basically says you agree to destroy your PC version of PSE 7 and they then send you the Mac version.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Just let us know if you have any more. :)

Welcome to the forum! I have been a Mac user for years so anything I say about Macs may be somewhat biased...;-> That being said, I am using at this moment my first Mac laptop. I had only used desktop Macs for years but in February of 2008, I bought my first laptop and have never regretted it. It is a a 15" MacBook Pro. I like it's portability mainly because my family lives across the country from me in Oregon and I go there for usually 3 weeks at a time, a couple of times a year and sad to say, I can't "live" without my computer for that long! I also do family research and now can take my computer with me so I have the info right there. Here at home I have a nice, big extra monitor which I love. I have several external hard drives for backups and such. So that is pretty much my setup. I have a link you should check out: http://www.apple.com/mac/ Along the left side are some links that may answer some of your questions, like what kind of Mac would suit you best. Do you live in an area with an Apple Store? If you are lucky enough to be able to visit one, I highly recommend it. They have classes that teach you about your new Mac and I believe can even move your files over from your PC to the new Mac for you-get you up and running. As I said, I love my laptop and take it everywhere but iMacs are beautiful (not that the laptops are beautiful but iMacs are stunning I think) and a great machine (I understand-never had one) with it being an all-in-one computer. So anyway, go visit that Apple site and follow the links along the left side there and feel free to post back here anytime and ask any questions you have! We are a very friendly community, us Mac users, and love to have more join the crowd! Judy in Maryland

Oh, I can promise you that you will absolutely, postively love switching over to a Mac - I have been using Macs for 20 years - right now I have a desktop and I have a MacBook Pro laptop. User friendly and so easy to learn - my advice if you get one - play with it before you read all the manuals and then read to answer your questions - Macs are incredible for scrapping. I am a graphic artist and everyone with whom I work has a Mac -Go for it! They do cost more but are well worth it, I promise. If you need any help, pm me and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Sara

mac mac mac go for the mac

we just changed our whole home/business network to mac and LOVE it.

yes it takes getting used to, but after a day of playing you'll won't look back

for anything graphic these machines are the best.. the clarity, the ease of use... love love love my mac

need i say more, LOL

I can only endorse what everyone else has already said. :)

I moved to a Mac (I use an iMac) just over 2 years ago and haven't looked back. They're not at all difficult to learn, I found that it was so much simpler to use than my PC. Everything on the Mac works seamlessly in and harmony with everything else.

I would have changed over sooner, but for the fact that I thought I was going to have to pay out again for PSCS3, but once I learned that Adobe will give you a 'cross platform switch' (as Jan says they will swop your original PS for the Mac version, providing you can prove that you legally purchased your software) I didn't hesitate and ordered a Mac.

I have been working on a Mac at school, and my PC at home simultaneously. I love the Mac, and my next computer will be a Mac. The things that I can do with ease on a Mac can be so difficult to figure out when I'm trying to do them on my computer! However, I am glad that I have had the opportunity to use both at the same time to really give a good comparison. Once you get over the inital learning curve (as with anything new), you will find it easier! Happy shopping!

for anything graphic these machines are the best.. the clarity, the ease of use... love love love my mac

need i say more, LOL

Yeah, Jo - let's say it again and again and again and again - people don't believe it til they actually have one - I have had a Mac and upgraded them for 20 years - I now have a desktop and the MacBook Pro - and guess what? I am getting an iPhone! DH just comes up with the best ideas! I wanted this new one so much and he just said okay - now, we may not have dinner on the table for a few weeks, but what's dinner compared to an iPhone? LOL LOL

Macs are awesome machines - they practically do the work for you - and if you buy Adobe Creative Suite, it is much cheaper than buying the apps separately, wouldn't you agree? That is InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I did buy PSE but rarely use it since I have Photoshop. I only bought it cause it seems as if everyone on here uses it.

So, play it again, Mac's are #1

need i say more, LOL

Yeah, Jo - let's say it again and again and again and again - people don't believe it til they actually have one - I have had a Mac and upgraded them for 20 years - I now have a desktop and the MacBook Pro - and guess what? I am getting an iPhone! DH just comes up with the best ideas! I wanted this new one so much and he just said okay - now, we may not have dinner on the table for a few weeks, but what's dinner compared to an iPhone? LOL LOL

Macs are awesome machines - they practically do the work for you - and if you buy Adobe Creative Suite, it is much cheaper than buying the apps separately, wouldn't you agree? That is InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I did buy PSE but rarely use it since I have Photoshop. I only bought it cause it seems as if everyone on here uses it.

So, play it again, Mac's are #1

Ooooo, a 3GS iPhone??? Oh, Sara, that's great. You do have a DH don't you???!! Have fun with your toy and remember that dinner is overrated really...... it's just food...... ;-> Judy (someone who doesn't miss a meal)

Ooooo, a 3GS iPhone??? Oh, Sara, that's great. You do have a DH don't you???!! Have fun with your toy and remember that dinner is overrated really...... it's just food...... ;-> Judy (someone who doesn't miss a meal)

LOL

Yes, he is definitely a DDH! I'm the geek in the house - he is sooo technology handicapped - took me months to teach him how to check and use email. All he wants in a cell phone is to be able to get a call and make a call, but he does understand my need for all things new with technology. It is time for me to get a new cell anyway, so I just kind of mentioned that since I am all about Mac anyway that I should get an iPhone and he said okay - even after I told him the cost. I do have to do some checking though - some of the plans are way too expensive and I want to be able to have what I want on it but not break the bank. It is clearly an awesome phone - I am excited - we may go today and get it depending on the events of the day. :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant:

I got a chuckle out of your description of your non-techy husband! Mine is a bit better than that but I am definitely the tech support person in this house. My hubby does what he needs to do on his MacBook and no more. I, on the other hand, sometimes dig a bit deeper and sometimes that gets me into trouble! I think I can safely say that when something goes wrong with my Mac, it's me who is the root cause of it! But it's always fixable. I do some sweating and cursing at myself at the time. But my hubby, myself and one of our boys are devout Mac users. Then there is son #2 who stands apart from us in many ways-he did have a Dell laptop that ran Linux but the hard drive failed and he is now using one of our G4 tower Macs. He likes Macs but is more willing than the rest of us to use a non-Mac computer. We have 2 G4 Macs that are still running smoothly. Our #1 son is currently Mac-less but with a baby due any day and money for a computer nonexistent, well, he needs to get more stimulus money that he can 'burn' on a new Mac laptop. Well, I have certainly rambled on a lot more than I needed to.... Time to get the day started! Judy

Oh Sara! Have fun with that new phone! I love my iPhone and would love to be able to get the new 3GS, but they make it almost impossible to upgrade, for some reason.

Anyway, my favorite part is the apps. They have applications for just about anything you can think of and tons of things you wouldn't even think of! Our newest app is one for AAA. It makes getting roadside assistance as simple as touching a button. And it also shows you on maps of an area what retailers give AAA discounts! Just found out that the pharmacy we've been using does! Yaay! :D

Welcome to the awesome world of Apple! Once you get yours, you will realize how easy and intuitive they are. I think everyone has covered the basics of the switch, but so you know, if you purchase a MacBook or the like you can run windows on it too if there is certain software you can't or don't want to replace. You just partition you hard drive and install. I'm not sure if you can do it on an iMac or not.

you guys crack me up... yep got me an iphone too, got that before I got my mac but love it too.

Jan, I'm with you, would love to upgrade but... anyway, love my iphone anyway

let's all say it together now..

mac mac mac and again, mac mac mac... LOL

I like that idea of a Mac scrapping blinkie! Maybe there is some creative soul out there that could design one..... ;-> I would use it. And at the moment I am blinkie-free! J

Would love to know what you have decided, tresastev, about a Mac.......... Judy

• 5 weeks later...

Well Ladies I did it today! I have been pondering for 2 years what kind of computer to get & being so frustrated with the issues I was having with my dell. I talked to a friend that works for apple & within minutes I was sold. I went to the apple website & did some research & today I went into the apple store! WOW! It was an awesome experience. I was worried about my cs3, but decided that I could make a compromise. A bamboo tablet was only $10 more than the Elements 7 software & you get Elements with it. So that's what I did. I can always run a windows environment if I want to & use my cs3. I am wayyyy excited. I have to say that I also bought my DH & I iPhones as well. What an expensive trip, but so worth it. There is so much with a mac... like stability & ease of use that you don't get with a pc. The support is phenomenal!

I say if you are going thinking about a Mac... do it! You won't have a lot of the issues you have with a pc! There are people there to help you with your transition, lots of tuts & of course all these lovely scrapgirls! :)

So glad I made the switch. Look forward to mac-ing with you all! XOXO :tinkerbell:

Guest siraacsa

I am sooooo jealous.

My DH convinced his technology challenged parents to buy a MAC instead of a PC and they are having a hard time getting their heads around the new environment. I have kindly offered what I believe to be the perfect solution: if it gets too frustrating for them that they are most welcome to swap their MAC with my PC.

iPhones AND a new Mac???!! Well, that is just terrific!!!! You are going to love both although I can't speak personally about the joys of having an iPhone. Love my Mac though. All the different models I have had have served me very well. For 4-6 years usually with almost no problems and I have to admit, most of the problems were caused by me tinkering. I hope you got the Apple Care at least for the Mac-well worth it. When I buy a new Mac I max out the RAM and buy Apple Care. And like you said, Mac users are a great support for anyone that is new to the Mac platform and we here at ScrapGirls are no different!!! Welcome! Judy

• 2 months later...

I'm just now catching up with this thread. I had never really seriously considered making the switch to a mac, but after talking to so many of you at the convention, and now I know a little more about computers, and right now having major issues with my dell laptop, I'm considering making the change. I've just been looking on the mac website and I think the 15" Macbook pro is what I'd like. I am using CS3 now and would like to continue with that or upgrade to CS4. How about lightroom? I guess adobe will let me swap that one too. I know every mac user I've ever met is totally sold on it. What do you think? Should I go for it? I really didn't want to spend that much money, but... How often do you upgrade? With my computers its about every 3 years, is that about the same for mac? That really adds up $$$ over the years. I waant to hear more ladies, all the knitty griity details please. c'mon Jan, you're my techie toy partner, looking for some guidance here.

Hi Scrappin'Doc! So you are thinking of joining in the Mac users group. We are a very supportive, helpful group and will do what we can to help you out. Not sure where you live and if an Apple store is doable but if so, I think that is a great place to start. They also have the one-on-one where they will work with you in transferring your stuff from the PC to the Mac and showing you the ropes.

I have used Macs since they first came out-a long time ago. I am totally sold on them. My latest Mac is a 15" MacBook Pro-about 18 months old. I have 4G of RAM and an internal hard drive size of about 200GB (the latter is not big enough now that I have a grandchild and take tons of pictures!!). My advice for anyone buying a Mac is to max out the RAM and to get Apple Care. With the replacement of my CD/DVD drive about 2 months ago, the cost of Apple Care paid for it. Well worth it. My laptop is currently being fixed and have been without it for a few days-not fun! Not able to do any scrapbooking!! Ugh. But even with the extreme withdrawal I am in the throes of, my experience with Apple and it's support system is fantastic. Last Sunday I went to the Genius Bar at a local Apple Store (I had made an appt. the day before), the "genius" tested it and said it was the logic board or the graphics card. Got some info from me, said I could pick it up there at the store when it came back or it could be sent to my home. I chose the latter. All at no cost (other than the loss of my sanity). And another Apple support story........ I was out visiting my mom and sister in the middle of Central Oregon about a month ago. I had something happen to my power cord and called Apple. And with the Apple Care that I had, a new power cord was sent to me-all at no cost. When I received the email telling me that it was being sent, I tracked the package and it was being shipped from Pennsylvania and would arrive about the time that I was flying home to Maryland....... But it arrived the very next day!! To the middle of nowhere!! Wow. I was impressed. So that is just the kind of support one gets from Apple. Of course I have gone the phone support route for tech support and that is great too. Then there are the message boards and user groups too. I could go on but I won't bore you anymore.

I love having a laptop-this is the first laptop I have ever had. Love the mobility of it. Oh, and if you are able to visit an Apple store, get them to show you Time Machine and how nifty that is!! I use PSE on my Mac.

Well, that is quite enough from me. Ask any questions and we will answer them for you!! Good luck, let us know what you decide, Judy

I just got my new Mac home today! I don't know why I didn't switch years ago! Its just awesome and I'm in love with it already! Just hooked up my EHD to it and all categories are gone so now I have to recategorize EVERY single item ! Its going to take a long time!!!!! But oh well its so worth it!

Hi Mary Jo- Well, don't keep us in suspense any longer-what kind of Mac did you get? Inquiring minds and all that! Judy

I just got my new Mac home today! I don't know why I didn't switch years ago! Its just awesome and I'm in love with it already! Just hooked up my EHD to it and all categories are gone so now I have to recategorize EVERY single item ! Its going to take a long time!!!!! But oh well its so worth it!

Yay MJ. I'm just about to head out to the apple store to pick up my mac today too!. I just talked to the tech and my programs are loaded and my 18,000 photos and scrapping stuff is all loaded as well. Megan (the nice techy person) said it ran the transfer for 11 hours to get it all moved. but its ready to go. There's a "Meet your Mac" seminar that I will go to tonight so I can learn about it. I've had a chance to play with them in the apple store and seems very nice. I haven't gotten my cross platform exchange photoshop yet, but I know I can install that without much trouble. That was the hardest (next to seeing all that money go out of my account) thing to deal with. I had one less than helpful adobe rep but then a really nice lady in the sales dept was very helpful. I found the adobe site difficult to find where to go for the right help. So far the customer service with the apple store has been great.

OK, off to go get the new member of my electronic family. I'm developing a serious addiction to tech toys.

I got the Macbook Pro 17 in screen. I added the iworks and a bunch of other stuff. I sort of went nuts. I too am taking the classes but they aren't having the seminar for awhile. I just love this laptop. I should have converted long ago. This is definitely the best computer I have ever had... I have all my stuff on my EHD. I started using Iphoto but I don't think I'm going to continue with it. I have ACDSee so I might load that onto the Mac but for now I'm going to work off the EHD until I get used to it.

Sandi let me know how you liked the seminar. I'm dying to hear all about it!!!

Ok, I'm here at the store, the seminar will start in a few minutes. They haven't brought out my new baby yet.....getting so excited! There's a couple here to learn this with me. They got an iMac. I got the 15" Mac Book Pro. I travel too much to want to drag that big a machine with me, though for working and scrapping, I"m sure its better. Just a few minutes now and I'll be a Mac Mommy.

• 3 weeks later...

I love that you are in love with your Mac!!! Like that smile!! And adding an iPhone to your "Mac lineup"-well that's like icing on the cake. Enjoy!!! Remember if you need any help with your Mac, just post the question here and someone will get back to you.

I am finally learning how to use some of the "gestures" on my trackpad. I still have a few more to learn-notably what finger combo to select all on a page or just a word or sentence...... Got the click and drag thing down pat and that is so nice!

Archived