Question Re: Psp X2

GatorGirl

Hi everyone! I recently obtained PSP X2 and have slowly been playing with it. I've noticed one thing that is REAL different from PSP X1. Maybe you have a 'fix' for it---I'm hoping!!! In PSP X1, when I selected an embellishment from my organizer (at the bottom) to use in my layout, I would just click and drag it onto the layout and that was it. NOW, in PSP X2 when I select an embellishment from the organizer, click and drag it upward out of the organizer, the embellishment open up in its own new layer---not on the layout. I then have to COPY and PASTE it onto my layout---which takes an extra step. Is there a PREFERENCE SETTING I don't know about? Please say you can fix this---it's so annoying OR maybe I'm just so spoiled! LOL

Thanks, Karen (aka GatorGirl)

Also, I would like to have the rulers on the layout display in inches not pixels as is the default setting. Any idea what to do?

Hi Karen,

Sorry, that was a big change from X1 to X2, and one reason I almost didn't get X2. There is no way you can drag something from the Organizer into your workspace. You really do have to COPY and PASTE AS A NEW LAYER. I keep those icons on my toolbar so it doesn't slow me down too much. I've gotten used to it by now.

As far as your layouts displaying in inches rather than pixels, go to FILE > PREFERENCES > GENERAL PROGRAM PREFERENCES > and on the left side of the dialog box, select UNITS.

:banghead: Oh Sarah---I was hoping you'd have good news for me. That's not what I wanted to hear! I wonder why Corel decided to change this in PSP X2? Not an improvement in my estimation! I guess I will have to make a short cut tool bar like you did. I just hope I have my tut from long ago on how to do this. I may be writing you back! LOL Karen

• 1 month later...

Hi Karen

I'm just catching up on some old posts. I too upgraded from X1 to X2 a year or so ago, and as a result stopped using the organizer altogether - and found that it gave me more workspace! Also, from memory the organizer couldn't tag PNGs, so I stopped bothering with it. I had problems with Picasa so I simply use Windows Explorer to open my pics, drag them into my workspace, copy and paste into new layer. Yes, it's a pain!!! If you are still working with the Organizer then I hope those shortcuts work well for you.

I upgraded to X2 a while ago too and I had this same question when I first started using it. The good news is, you DO get used to copy/paste after a while and the extra step doesn't seem like too much trouble. Like Steph, I stopped using the organizer too as I found it was too different from the previous version - I couldn't even get my folders arranged in alphabetical order anymore and was spending way too much time searching for elements/papers. Now I keep a Windows Explorer screen open outside of PSP for my scrapbooking supplies and just click and drag from it to PSP and it's much easier I find.

While it's true you can't drag and drop from the organizer you CAN from the Photo Tray. When I am getting ready to do a layout I will use the organizer to find things I think I might want to use and right click on them and "add to Photo Tray". One of things I LOVE about the photo tray is that things stay in the tray until you remove them even if the product closes. I don't know how many times I have gone to add my product list and can't remember them all. I leave them in the tray until I have the layout done and then remove them as I add them to my list.

And did you know you can drag and drop from one window to another? You have to have the one you want to drag FROM as your active image, click the thumbnail in the layer palette and hold while you drag to where you want it, HOLD the button down until curser returns to the arrow with a + and let go!

• 2 months later...

I should have known!!! It was you DDecker! I saw the above helpful hint last week in one of the daily newsletter. I couldn't wait to start up my PSP and try out your tip regarding adding an element to a layout via the layer palette. It works!!! and it makes this process a little faster. I salute you Dee---you made my life a little easier. You're the BEST! Hugs, Karen

Archived