Camera Is Throwing Hissy Fit ...

*Whilst reading this drawn out explanation picture yourself sitting in a warm, soft chair with gentle music - probably Beethoven (or Coldplay) playing softly (or not so softly) in the background*Yesterday afternoon I was suddenly overcome with the thought of taking the most breathtaking photos ever imagined, I grabbed my camera by the strap; grabbed my two youngest children by their pant belts; the keys to the car; a bottle of perier water (just kidding!!) and my Gucci sunglasses (kidding again!!) and gracefully floated towards my car! Now was the time!

We pulled up at the park just a few miles away - sunlight and shadows perfect for this iconic photo to be taken! The children were excited to be outside the house, and the local wildlife obviously were feeling the excitement flow from us as well because as we skipped hand in hand into the enchanted woods, the squirrels and birds sang their welcoming chorus for us to hear.

The trees welcomed us - the chipmunks too, I think I even spotted a gazelle gracefully skipping through the forest (or maybe not). All was perfect with the world.

As my darling offspring gleefully skipped through the trees, the time was perfect for the first shot - the branches were elegantly arched over their angelic heads, the ground beneath their feet was lightly covered with fallen leaves from the overhead growth - and their clothes weren't stained so much that it would show up in the photos. I huge sigh emitted from within me ... now ... NOW was the time for this momentous photo!

As in a trance I reached down to my side for my camera. That ever present feeling of calm came over me - I had my trusty companion once again within my grip, life was good! A bird twittered from above as in recognition of my frame of mind.

I must be quick to catch this once in a moment lifetime, the children, frolicking so freely amongst the leaves, were getting closer to the top of the hill and this shot would be lost forever!

I turned my camera on and lifted it to my ever scanning eye! But wait! What was this? As I raised my camera to my eye the flash fired! Surely not ... I hadn't even tried to focus the camera and I had it set in the creative zone, why ever should the flash be ... well, flashing?! A split second was lost - the children were getting closer to the hill's apex, time was of the essence. Not to worry about the flash falsly flashing (try saying that 20 times quickly) I had to capture this memory! As I lifted the camera even closer to my eye I could hear the internal motor humming away - the lens was confused - as if it didn't know what to do. Ignoring these noises I aimed my camera at my disappearing children ... pressed the shutter button in order to get my bearings and lead me to where I needed to set my f-stop and aperture. Then it hit me! There was nothing, absolutely nothing to be seen in my viewfinder. My lens cap was off (for once ... I often forget to remove this - very impressive for my clients I have to say!!) - but no information to view through my viewfinder.

Surely this was just a glitch on my memory catching module (camera)! I tried again! Again ... nothing! No focus, no information ... but wait - suddenly the viewfinder lit up with what I had been longing to see! Perfect, not a minute too soon as the noise of my scurrying youngsters was growing quieter by the second. I pressed my button again ... nothing! The little motor was humming away. The flash was firing ... but no photo taking!

Thinking that maybe it was something to do with the fact that it was muggy outside, I put it down to this. This had happened in the past and all I had to do was take out the batteries, let them (and my camera) cool down and then start over again. I did this whilst watching my children disappear over the threshold of the perfect frame. When they came back, I would be ready and waiting.

Alack it wasn't to be. While waiting for my offspring to come back into view my camera decided that it was going to take control of the situation and just do it's own thing! It took several photos of the ground - and then ... nothing!!

Long winded aren't I?!?!

The purpose of this long, drawn out 'adventure' is actually a cry for help. My camera is - I think - dying!

I have a Canon 20D and it has been my joy for only about 2 1/2 years. Then yesterday - not exactly as I just wrote but kind of similar - it just gave up on me. Every now and then during our two hour stroll through the park I would turn it on again and see if it was over it's hissy fit ... but it would do the same thing - the 'laser' light would flash three times quickly, then pause, then flash three times again quickly, then pause, then flash again three times quickly. Then the little motor would be humming away as if it was trying to focus - yet I didn't even have my finger on the button! When I tried to see what images I had gotten, I couldn't even view the LCD monitor - it was blank.

When I came back home I connected my camera to my computer in the hopes that maybe some of the information I had captured on the few images I had taken would help me solve the problem. It would even connect to my computer! I ended up taking the memory card out and putting it into my printer - something I've not done before - that worked thank goodness, but the photos were awful. Not focused on anything at all and totally blurry!

I've never had this happen to quite this extreme before ... my camera has before decided to go on strike. When it has done this, on the LCD panel it flashes the message 'busy' all of the time. This time, there was no such message - in fact all of the details were on the LCD panel and I could see, sometimes, the information through my viewfinder. When this has happened in the past I've just given my camera and batteries a rest and let them cool down and it has been fine.

This morning I woke up and thought I would see how my camera was. I turned it on ... it did the flashee thing three times again (oh, and whenever I turned it on last night to see if it had cooled down, it did the flashee thing three times everytime I turned it on) and the LCD viewer wouldn't work.

So - to cut a long story longer (?!?!) does anyone have ANY idea of what's going on? Do I have to buy a new camera (which I cannot afford to do), is it just going through menopause? Have I not been telling it how much I love and appreciate it lately and therefore it's giving me slight hints that it needs a bit more TLC ... or is fixable?

Any suggestions, help, chocolate would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I have taken the batteries out, cleaned it as best I can and then put it back together ... but nothing! Still just the flashee thing! I'm beginning to take this personally.

Sorry to ramble ... I'm off to sulk over a glass of red wine! I don't know what I'll do without my camera!

Oh, is a camera like this only good for so many shots, does anyone know? I know I've taken the odd photo since I've gotten it - last count around 87,675 to be exact - but I didn't think they had a certain life expectancy, so to speak!

Any ideas??!?!

calling my camera gooru right now for you hang on she might answer if not i will get back at you when I get a hold of her

she said to look up on yahoo answers she said it sounds like your digital sensor is going bad if you look up on yahoo there is answers to help you out

Wow! Gosh Carole, this is terrible. I have no answers at all, just moral support. Thank goodness Caren's friend was available and hopefully you are now finding some answers on Yahoo!

I think I'll take my camera out for a nice dinner tonight, and maybe a movie. I certainly don't want, nor can afford any hissy, or coniption fits from her!

Good luck!

Sarah - very good idea! After posting on the board about my woes, I took my camera (just me and thee) out for a tete-a-tete and I spent some one on one time with her! Had a wine (she doesn't drink so I helped her with her share) and a few blocks of chocolate. We mellowed out a bit ... then I touched her buttons. Very gently at first ... telling her how much she is loved and appreciated. But alack ... it was not to be.

Then I read the message board and saw Caren's comments and did a little gig of joy! Finally maybe I could be reunited with my camera. Together forever. I went to the link and watched ... and then it dawned on me. I can't even do the first stage ... I have no LCD Panel so I can't even go into the clean mode!!

I sat there with my camera to my ear and listened to her little noises ... she's definitely dying ... on her way out. For a brief moment I remembered my beloved dog passing away two weeks ago - his breaths as he was leaving the world.

I think my camera is a no-hoper!! I'm very sad ... mainly because I can't afford to replace it at the moment, and also because we've just moved I don't have a client base anymore to pay for a new one if I did buy one (maybe not having clients is a good thing).

Anyway - thanks Sarah and Caren for taking the time to reply to my long-winded post. Thanks Caren for asking your friend for their advice, but I think it's a gonner. The moment I turn it on it's little motor starts up and doesn't stop. maybe I'll find a camera cleaner here in our new city that can fix her - or not! Oh well - time for another wine and some more chocolate!!

Thanks guys!!

Carole,

I am so sorry to read your heart wrenching (but beautifully written) tale of woe.

Maybe if we all hold healing purple thoughts for your camera it would help?

I think the chocolate was a really good idea...

:)

Wow, this sounds even more serious than when you first sent me that email this morning. Oh, i hope there is a camera doctor nearby. Have you tried the

canon website? Can you send her away to the Canon camera hospital for terminal cameras? This sounds awful. I'd be tearing my hair out about now, so I salute you for your clever concealment of your frantic worry. I sure hope that by the time Monday rolls around and the service centers are open, you can get some real help. In the meantime, I'll be sending lots of good camera carma thoughts your way.

Carole, hold fast. My DH has a wonderful Canon doctor place online. We send our grandson's Canon there for repairs. They were fast, reasonable and reliable, and his camera now takes great photos! I'll get you the link tomorrow. It is in Connecticut. Which means fast transit for you!

Carole,

Sorry about your camera. One thing you can try is to turn the camera off. Remove the batteries, memory card and lens. Let the camera sit for 20 to 30 minutes without batteries. After 30 minutes, put in fully charged batteries and turn the camera on. If it doesn't freak out like it has been, try depressing the shutter button like you would to take a picture. If the camera still acts the way it was earlier, it probably needs to be serviced. If its okay, then your going to turn off the camera, and insert the memory card and turn it on to see what happens. If its okay, you want to format the card and then depress the shutter button. If its okay turn off the camera and put on the lens. If its not okay you know its the lens, probably contacts. Each step will help you to determine where the problem could be. I hope you figure out what is wrong with it.

Hi Carole! Sorry to hear about your camera problems!

I had a Nikon D70 go a very simlar way a few years ago. This turned out to be a known corruption of the cameras firmware and was repaired by Nikon for free.

What you could do is find out how to reset the camera firmware (canon website may help). Usually, you would download it to a memory card (you could use your printers card reader to wirte to the card) and then put the card into the camera and switch on. It should detect and reset the firmware for you.

I'm not much good on Canon gear, being a Nikon person. Unfortunately anything else may mean a trip to the Canon Hospital or worse, a replacement.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom. BTW love how you "coloured" your post. Great storytelling!

Do let us all know how you get on!

Cheers

Postedit - here is the link to Canon 20D firmware page

Canon 20D firmware

DAVE!! Heading that way right now!! I can't believe how much wonderful advice I've gotten from this post. Honestly I didn't think anyone would get through the long-drawn out story to even leave posts!! Thanks ... will let you know how I go.

Update on fixing camera. Sort of going well, but not well at all. Have learnt a HEAP of things about my camera thanks to all of the help I've found in here. Went to that site Dave and it was great - read up large on what to do. Uploaded software and then went back to re-read directions. Got to the part where it says to go to the Menu on LCD Panel ... ooops, still no LCD panel showing up. So I'm going to keep doing some research online and hopefully come up with something and if not, Sarah - I'll check out Precision Camera. I think it's saveable for some unknown reason.

Some of the problem I think comes from my the connection to my lens - when I take my lens off I don't have the continual humming sound, but still can't get my LCD Panel up for longer than about 2 seconds (but at least I got 2 seconds today - yesterday I couldn't get anything). So I will continue on my search for the anitdote to my camera's problem!

*Scalpel (sp?) please ... surgical stitches crochet hook please ... chocolate please ... we're ready to go in*

*Glancing over her immaculately groomed nurse's uniformed shoulder I notice the blippee-liney-thingee (yeap, that's the real technical name for it!!) is slowly flattening, and the bips are getting a lot faster* It's not looking good. Can't get to my menu part of LCD. Will go and check out that website thanks Sarah!!

I'll be back!!

Carole - first of all, I loved your story! Made me chuckle and think about all the times I expect/hope a photo op to be just that whimsical!

Have you tried a different lens to see if that makes a difference? I had a similar problem recently and it was the lens - not the camera. The only other thing I can offer - when I had problems with my Canon Rebel (the original, so now 4 years old), I sent it to Canon repair and they were WONDERFUL. They'll look at what's wrong and send you an email and you can decide if it's worth it to fix or if it's time to pull the plug. They were much quicker than the estimate they gave me and were 100% correct with the price quoted. I wouldn't hesitate to send my camera to them again if I had problems.

Your writing is so compelling to read! Maybe that could earn you your next camera. I don't know anything about fixing cameras. Just wanted to tell you I enjoyed your story, and wish you good luck!

Carole what a wonderful way to tell us of your adventure/misadventure! I'm sorry I have no advice but like many of the others are just standing with ya and supporting you while the camera decides weather it wishes to die or to carry on. I do hope that the out come is good for you both!!!

Archived