What Kind Of Dslr Do You Use? Help Me Decide!

HI to all...THanks for reading my topic. I am pretty much a lurker on SG, and haven't posted much. But am always amazed by what is posted in the galleries...you guys rock! :respect: My problem is that I have been saving for a Nikon D90 for some time now....almost have enough "stash cash" put back to buy the body only...this is all I could focus on for quite awhile and my poor kids bring me any change they find around the house...they must feel sorry for me!!! Anyway, now that I am so close to being able to buy it...I am starting to have doubts on whether I can/should really spend that much money on a camera and lens package! And, do I really need a camera like that? I have always enjoyed photography as a hobby and I am no where near a professional photographer, but do get some really awesome shots every now and then with my Kodak Z712IS point and shoot. I mostly take pictures of my kids and family and our activities...but would always love to do shots like Dinny's in the newsletter today...those photos were awesome!! (July 16, 2009 Newsletter)

OK...so here is the real question....What DSLR do you guys use and what do you just absolutely love about it or hate about it??? I am thinking I might just go with a lower price point DSLR and wanted some feedback on which ones are easier/better...

Thanks to all for taking time to read this....I do appreciate it!! :thanks:

DeAnna Caldwell

Well, you don't "need" a camera like that - but you will have soooo much fun with it!

I LOVE my DSLR's (I have 2 Canons), but do not use them every day. I do however, always always always carry my Panasonic Lumix TZ5...

I'm a Canon-girl, but that is just because my first ever SLR was a Canon and I ended up sticking with the brand!

Nikon also makes awesome cameras, so I would never say that you have to buy one or the other...

My advice is that you go out and "try" them.

Go to a well-stocked photography store and hold them, feel them and see what they're like in your hands.

After you've decided which one you like best within your price-range, you buy it where you get the best deal!

Thess is right. For me because my point and shoot is a Canon, I'll still with that brand. I haven't bought one yet but only because other things have needed my time and money right now but I do plan to get a Canon DSLR!

Well, you don't "need" a camera like that - but you will have soooo much fun with it!

OK...so maybe "NEED" wasn't the right word to use!!! LOL! WANT totallly fits it more!!! I NEED more time to play with whatever camera I buy...any tips on getting that??

I have been to a couple of camera stores when I was set on the D90 and didn't look too much at other models...Nothing against the Canon's...just seems like the couple of stores I went to the salesman were all Nikon users and that just made my decision more solid (had a Nikon in highschool when on yearbook staff...boy was that years ago!) So, I am not totally sold on having a Nikon...just want the camera that is "right for me"...

What 2 Canon's do you have?? My new camera will not be an everday camera either....more of a toy and getting that special picture from time to time...as well as just something for fun for me...

Thess is right. For me because my point and shoot is a Canon, I'll still with that brand. I haven't bought one yet but only because other things have needed my time and money right now but I do plan to get a Canon DSLR!

Thanks...I need to find time to get to a camera store...we live in the middle of nowhere and it is an hours drive to a "big town"...they usually have 3 kids with me!!! NOt fun!!! LOL! I am definitely going to go do that again when school starts back and I can go think!

Hi DeAnna. You might find me lurking around your thread. lol

I don't have a DSLR...just kind of dream about one. So...I'm curious about people's opinions, too.

I have a Wolf Camera not too far away. I had questions about my Sony (it has a lot of manual settings on it) and the man there was most helpful. If and when I can move up to a DSLR, I'll certainly check with him first for advice. The kid (no offense to him) at Best Buy didn't seem to know so much.

OK...so maybe "NEED" wasn't the right word to use!!! LOL! WANT totallly fits it more!!! I NEED more time to play with whatever camera I buy...any tips on getting that??

I have been to a couple of camera stores when I was set on the D90 and didn't look too much at other models...Nothing against the Canon's...just seems like the couple of stores I went to the salesman were all Nikon users and that just made my decision more solid (had a Nikon in highschool when on yearbook staff...boy was that years ago!) So, I am not totally sold on having a Nikon...just want the camera that is "right for me"...

What 2 Canon's do you have?? My new camera will not be an everday camera either....more of a toy and getting that special picture from time to time...as well as just something for fun for me...

I have a Canon 450D which in the US is called Rebel XSi.

And a Canon 40D, which I'm probably upgrading later this fall to a 50D or 5D... Depending on my bank-statement! LOL!

The Rebel is smaller, lighter and easy to carry around (depending what lens I put on), and my husband loves this one since it's easy to use and carry!

The 40D is bigger and much heavier, but Oh la la, what a camera! DH never uses this one and I'm not sure I would let him... I only take it on longer trips or to weddings and special functions!

Of course, I have a growing selection of lenses. Many Canon-lenses, but also a Tamron 28-300mm that I'm seriously in love with!

My family and friends put money together last fall and bought my sister a Rebel XSi when she got married, and she loves it!!!

She recently bought the same Tamron-lens as I have and can't stop raving about her "kit"! LOL!

Hi DeAnna. You might find me lurking around your thread. lol

I don't have a DSLR...just kind of dream about one. So...I'm curious about people's opinions, too.

I have a Wolf Camera not too far away. I had questions about my Sony (it has a lot of manual settings on it) and the man there was most helpful. If and when I can move up to a DSLR, I'll certainly check with him first for advice. The kid (no offense to him) at Best Buy didn't seem to know so much.

Definitely a camera store over a best buy kiind of place....I purchased my last camera from www.bhphoto.com and they were fabulous about answering questions and guiding me in the right direction... I was actually going to buy the D80 and they suggested that if I didn't need the camera within the next 6 months to wait for the price to go down on the D90, that it was a much better camera...so that is what I am/was doing. Price not really seeming to drop much after the last 4 months though...hoping prices will drop before Christmas.....that is really more of when I was looking to buy. I still wanted to get the opinions of people that used the cameras on a regular basis....that tells more of a story for me than what a salesman can sometimes give....

Hope this thread helps you too!!!

I will be following this thread since I too would love to get a "big girl" DSLR sometime soon :)

As far as time- you have to make it! I might encourage you in the mean time to pick up Dinny's Digital Photography book in the boutique. Mary Elizabeth is holding a digital photography class here at SG as well right now, but I am sure it will come back around. What I have found even with my little point and shoot is that by reading the manual, I have found it can do a lot more than I thought it could!

I guess in deciding if you really need a DSLR, I would ask if you want to fiddle with things like depth of field and white balance even night or time lapsed... if your answer is "I like to stay on auto mode" I would say push your little point and shoot to the limit and learn composition, background, lighting etc. If your answer is "I really want to learn more about using all of the different features of a DSLR" - apperature, shutter speed, white balance- then go for it and get what you can get! I plan on trying to stretch a little- something that has different lens options etc.- but does not cost my first born ;)

I do know that Canon makes some more bulky point and shoot models that have manual options- which is cool. You can't change the lenses, but you get a lot of the fun playing options! HTH

I have a Canon 450D which in the US is called Rebel XSi.

And a Canon 40D, which I'm probably upgrading later this fall to a 50D or 5D... Depending on my bank-statement! LOL!

The Rebel is smaller, lighter and easy to carry around (depending what lens I put on), and my husband loves this one since it's easy to use and carry!

The 40D is bigger and much heavier, but Oh la la, what a camera! DH never uses this one and I'm not sure I would let him... I only take it on longer trips or to weddings and special functions!

Of course, I have a growing selection of lenses. Many Canon-lenses, but also a Tamron 28-300mm that I'm seriously in love with!

My family and friends put money together last fall and bought my sister a Rebel XSi when she got married, and she loves it!!!

She recently bought the same Tamron-lens as I have and can't stop raving about her "kit"! LOL!

Cool...thanks for the info...I will check them out. I know the 50D is more than I want to spend...but again that goes back to getting what is the best for me...I think it is "about the same" as the D90 if I remember right... I know I should have enough money at Christmas to buy the D90 and lenses, but am really having second thoughts on spending the money. I have looked at the Rebel before and am definitely going to reconsider it.... I think I want a lens similar tothe 28-300 tamron you mentioned....I would rather just start with one good lens and have the ability to move up later... if needed. I just dont want to think in a couple of years....Man, wish I would have bought the more expensive camera....since they change so fast, I am afraid that may happen even if I do buy the D90!

Thanks!

I will be following this thread since I too would love to get a "big girl" DSLR sometime soon :)

As far as time- you have to make it! I might encourage you in the mean time to pick up Dinny's Digital Photography book in the boutique. Mary Elizabeth is holding a digital photography class here at SG as well right now, but I am sure it will come back around. What I have found even with my little point and shoot is that by reading the manual, I have found it can do a lot more than I thought it could!

I guess in deciding if you really need a DSLR, I would ask if you want to fiddle with things like depth of field and white balance even night or time lapsed... if your answer is "I like to stay on auto mode" I would say push your little point and shoot to the limit and learn composition, background, lighting etc. If your answer is "I really want to learn more about using all of the different features of a DSLR" - apperature, shutter speed, white balance- then go for it and get what you can get! I plan on trying to stretch a little- something that has different lens options etc.- but does not cost my first born ;)

I do know that Canon makes some more bulky point and shoot models that have manual options- which is cool. You can't change the lenses, but you get a lot of the fun playing options! HTH

Big Girl Camera...too funny!! I have considered her book before and was planning on getting it as soon as school starts back and my kids will not be home to "entertain" me! I have tried alot of the settings on my camera and they have just left me wanting more!!!! It is amazing what a point and shoot will do when you get out of your comfort zone and try it!!! I really want the ability to change lenses...I am looking for alot more zoom than point and shoots offer...

My first born is now officially a TEENAGER....do you think someone would give me a good trade for him???? ROFL!!!

Hi DeAnna!

I use Nikon cameras and my current one is the D200. Its now a little long in the tooth, and a tad heavy with the battery grip I use, but I prefer it this way.

Although the D200 is an old camera, second hand D200's are still maintaining price, and you might be lucky enough to secure one after its been traded in for a newer model. Its a superb "workhorse" camera and its as tough as nails! This might save you a little of your hard earned cash!

However, the D90 is a superb camera, and you will have a tremendous time getting to learn how to use it.

I have used Canon's in the past but these were film cameras. I can't really comment on their digital SLR's, but, as Thess said, both manufacturers produce equally fine digital models.

Take yourself off to the camera store and "try out" a few models. Its ok having a DSLR but its better to have one that "fits" you. Check the weight with different lenses, can you reach the controls comfortably without moving the camera too far from your eye?. Ergonomics are as essential as optical quality, especially if you itend to become a regular user of your new toy.

Good Luck with the search and come back and let us know what you decide in the end!

Regards

Hi DeAnna,

I'm a Nikon girl myself. Why? Because when I was researching film SLRs way back, I thought Nikon had the better lenses. Now that I'm digital, I'm sticking with Nikon because A - I'm comfortable with them and B - I have a fair amount of expensive lenses. I have a Nikon D70 and I really do love it. There are newer out there with higher megapixels but in all honesty, while they LOOK really sweet, not sure I need them. I've blown my pictures up to 8x10 and they are sharp. I can't see me ever printing higher than that so the NEED for larger MPs just isn't there.

One thing I learned while researching is that you need to remember you're buying into the SYSTEM. When you make the plunge into the SLRs you're really going to spend the majority of your money on the lenses (or glass as some call it). The camera body itself is the smaller part of the equation. I know this sounds backward but it's true. In general, Nikkor lenses are more expensive than Canon but you can use Tamron lenses with either camera and they're also good.

The other thing you should consider is what is available locally. Yes, I bought my cameras from B&H as well and loved their service, knowledge, and helpfulness, but there are Nikon dealers close to home should it need service (which it hasn't yet and I've had it for several years).

I know someone that also has Nikons. She's looking to upgrade. She tried the D90 and didn't think it was as sharp as it should be so she's holding out for the D5000. I haven't tried either camera. Both are 12.3MPs.

I will probably eventually upgrade at some point (not now cause I don't have the funds) and give my current DSLR to my daughter. I don't know when that will be. When I do, I will be looking for the newer sensors and other things the cameras offer more than I will be looking for higher MPs (just makes the files bigger and less of them fit on a card). If I was looking to print posters from my photos, I'd be looking for higher MPs.

Hope that helps!

Hi DeAnna!

I use Nikon cameras and my current one is the D200. Its now a little long in the tooth, and a tad heavy with the battery grip I use, but I prefer it this way.

Although the D200 is an old camera, second hand D200's are still maintaining price, and you might be lucky enough to secure one after its been traded in for a newer model. Its a superb "workhorse" camera and its as tough as nails! This might save you a little of your hard earned cash!

However, the D90 is a superb camera, and you will have a tremendous time getting to learn how to use it.

I have used Canon's in the past but these were film cameras. I can't really comment on their digital SLR's, but, as Thess said, both manufacturers produce equally fine digital models.

Take yourself off to the camera store and "try out" a few models. Its ok having a DSLR but its better to have one that "fits" you. Check the weight with different lenses, can you reach the controls comfortably without moving the camera too far from your eye?. Ergonomics are as essential as optical quality, especially if you itend to become a regular user of your new toy.

Good Luck with the search and come back and let us know what you decide in the end!

Regards

Thanks for the info...I have thought about buying used.....but truthfully, it kinda scares me..... I would definitley have to do my homework before I made that decision....I dont' want to spend more time learning a camera than I do taking pictures, but I think I will have a learning curve with whatever camera I go with just based on the fact that it has been a long time since I have used an SLR at all.... Ergonomics are very important and I do think going to the camera store will be a huge help in this process!!!

THANKS!! I will be sure to post when I decide!!

Hi DeAnna,

I'm a Nikon girl myself. Why? Because when I was researching film SLRs way back, I thought Nikon had the better lenses. Now that I'm digital, I'm sticking with Nikon because A - I'm comfortable with them and B - I have a fair amount of expensive lenses. I have a Nikon D70 and I really do love it. There are newer out there with higher megapixels but in all honesty, while they LOOK really sweet, not sure I need them. I've blown my pictures up to 8x10 and they are sharp. I can't see me ever printing higher than that so the NEED for larger MPs just isn't there.

One thing I learned while researching is that you need to remember you're buying into the SYSTEM. When you make the plunge into the SLRs you're really going to spend the majority of your money on the lenses (or glass as some call it). The camera body itself is the smaller part of the equation. I know this sounds backward but it's true. In general, Nikkor lenses are more expensive than Canon but you can use Tamron lenses with either camera and they're also good.

So I am going to show my novice here...

Can you use a 35 mm lens (regular film camera) on a DSLR body?? If so, that changes a whole lot for me :) Never thought about it- but the lens is the optics, not the guts!

This thread has such great info!

Hi DeAnna,

The other thing you should consider is what is available locally. Yes, I bought my cameras from B&H as well and loved their service, knowledge, and helpfulness, but there are Nikon dealers close to home should it need service (which it hasn't yet and I've had it for several years).

I know someone that also has Nikons. She's looking to upgrade. She tried the D90 and didn't think it was as sharp as it should be so she's holding out for the D5000. I haven't tried either camera. Both are 12.3MPs.

I will probably eventually upgrade at some point (not now cause I don't have the funds) and give my current DSLR to my daughter. I don't know when that will be. When I do, I will be looking for the newer sensors and other things the cameras offer more than I will be looking for higher MPs (just makes the files bigger and less of them fit on a card). If I was looking to print posters from my photos, I'd be looking for higher MPs.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the info.... hadn't really thought about it like you said about buying into a system...that makes perfect sense. I don't really need high MPs....don't see myself doing posters, but always wonder if I get just the right picture would I want it?? I tend to do crop photos alot, and that would need a higher MP for making larger priints....or just means I need to work on my skills better sot hat I don't have to crop as much! LOL! I thought I would stick with Tamron lenses just in case I ever did get another DSLR in the future and it wasn't Nikon....just to be sure....

thanks!

Hi DeAnna,

Can you use a 35 mm lens (regular film camera) on a DSLR body?? If so, that changes a whole lot for me :) Never thought about it- but the lens is the optics, not the guts!

I believe that you can....I think most/alot are compatible....but this would definitely be better answered by someone who already OWNS a DSLR!!! And you are right...there is a lot of info in this thread!!! THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE!!!!

Kim!

You can do that on some models, but not all. You will temporarily lose some functionality such as autofocus and possibly exposure information. You may be best to check with the dealer first.

You may be able to get some kind of adapter, but again, check!

Cheers

Canon has made their EOS-sytem (almost) totally interchangeable!

That's why I stuck with Canon when I went digital. All their "regular" lenses and flashes in the EOS-range are compatible with their new digital bodies.

I used the old stuff until I could afford to buy new stuff specifically made for their digital bodies!

I didn't buy a new flash until last year, and I still have an old 50mm-lens that I use from time to time...

The Canon Rebel-range of cameras are part of the Canon EOS-system...

Hi DeAnna,

I believe that you can....I think most/alot are compatible....but this would definitely be better answered by someone who already OWNS a DSLR!!! And you are right...there is a lot of info in this thread!!! THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE!!!!

It does depend on how old your lenses are. I bought lenses with my film SLR which is a Nikon N80 and every one of those lenses works flawlessly with my D70. The difference is in the magnification. I believe when you put a film lens on a DSLR you get about 1.5x the magnification. Meaning when I put my 80-200 film lens on the DSLR it's become a 120-300mm lens

I'd have to go find receipts to tell you just how old my lenses are but they're all AF lenses and I didn't lose any functionality moving them to my DSLR.

I don't believe however you can put a DSLR lens onto a film SLR camera ... but haven't tried. I haven't picked up my film SLR since I got the DSLR.

I have a Nikon D40, bottom of the line, but it suits my needs perfectly. I have plenty of pixels to do 8x10s, the camera is fairly light, even with my 'big' lens, and frankly I just like the way it feels in my hand. I wanted something that I could carry easily and not be so expensive that I was paranoid of having it out and using it. :) The D40 fit that to a T! My film SLR is a Pentax, I've had it for over 30 years and still love how it feels and the pictures it shoots, but that whole film thing is just not what I want to deal with. I say go to the camera store and hold and try! A good place will be able to answer so many questions. I really wanted a macro lens and when I took my camera into the store, the sales person was great at showing me what I can do with my camera and kit lens without spending the big bucks on a macro. So for now, that works for me. Good luck.

I don't have any advice to offer. I'm with Charlene. Someday. :) I'm glad to see the recommendations here.

I recently found that Pentax makes a DSLR too. I've owned two Pentax SLRs and they took/take dynamite photos. Does any have any experience with Pentax DSLRs?

I currently use a Kodak Z712 IS too and have a lot of fun with it. I need to get a smaller point and shoot that fits easily in my purse and then maybe I'll start saving for a DSLR - or large format printer - or....

We use a Nikon D70s and will probably upgrade in the next year or so. I would suggest you go into a camera shop and hold the cameras to see which one feels best in your hand. I've seen a few online polls and they were split pretty evenly between Nikon and Canon. They are both really good cameras. That said, I have a friend who was a devoted Canon user. She was taking photos of the school play with her Canon and the person next to her was using a Nikon. She compared their photos and went out and bought a Nikon (a D80) the next day. So much of it is really your lenses and well, the photographer. :)

I don't have any advice to offer. I'm with Charlene. Someday. :) I'm glad to see the recommendations here.

I recently found that Pentax makes a DSLR too. I've owned two Pentax SLRs and they took/take dynamite photos. Does any have any experience with Pentax DSLRs?

I currently use a Kodak Z712 IS too and have a lot of fun with it. I need to get a smaller point and shoot that fits easily in my purse and then maybe I'll start saving for a DSLR - or large format printer - or....

Pentax was the first SLR I ever used...took great pictures! Never messed with their DSLR's though....

A smaller point and shoot would be nice too!!! Oh, the list of toys I want!!! LOL! My Kodak doesn't work well in my purse at all....

I have a Nikon D40, bottom of the line, but it suits my needs perfectly. I have plenty of pixels to do 8x10s, the camera is fairly light, even with my 'big' lens, and frankly I just like the way it feels in my hand. I wanted something that I could carry easily and not be so expensive that I was paranoid of having it out and using it. :) The D40 fit that to a T! My film SLR is a Pentax, I've had it for over 30 years and still love how it feels and the pictures it shoots, but that whole film thing is just not what I want to deal with. I say go to the camera store and hold and try! A good place will be able to answer so many questions. I really wanted a macro lens and when I took my camera into the store, the sales person was great at showing me what I can do with my camera and kit lens without spending the big bucks on a macro. So for now, that works for me. Good luck.

I have looked at those and am just afraid that it doesn't have enough MP's for me....I have 7.1 now...not like there is a big difference, but afraid to upgrade and "go back"...does that make sense? I know MP doesn't necessarily make the camera though....there are so many other factors involved. But I do like the price and the fact that I wouldn't worry as much about it. Ithink that is one of my biggest drawbacks about the D90...that is alot of money to spend to have around 3 rambunctious kids and our crazy life....I am afraid I would worry about using it and ruining it.....and that defeats the purpose of having it!!

We use a Nikon D70s and will probably upgrade in the next year or so. I would suggest you go into a camera shop and hold the cameras to see which one feels best in your hand. I've seen a few online polls and they were split pretty evenly between Nikon and Canon. They are both really good cameras. That said, I have a friend who was a devoted Canon user. She was taking photos of the school play with her Canon and the person next to her was using a Nikon. She compared their photos and went out and bought a Nikon (a D80) the next day. So much of it is really your lenses and well, the photographer. :)

I was originally going to buy the D80 and was too late!! I about had a heartattack when they discontinued it. I am still really torn between Nikon and Canon....but you are right...alot depends on the person taking the pictures....and I am not a pro!!! LOL!

Definitely will be making a trip to the mall soon to check out the cameras on hand!!!

This has been a fun thread to follow. I had a Nikon D70 for several years. Don't worry about the rambunctious kids. I left that camera out and ready to go for years! It is very sturdy :)

I now have a Nikon D300. I LOVE it!!!! I still have a lot to learn, but wow!

I still have my point and shoot that I keep in my handbag, but you can't beat the DSLRs for your "special" moments.

It is worth your investment.

I am a great rationalizer; so here goes...

After the moment is past, you only have your memories and your photographs. I think a great camera is worth saving and splurging for. Just my 2 cents.

I can't wait to hear what you get!

I've enjoyed reading through some of the responses and just wanted to add mine. I use a Nikon D300 and have a few lenses that I like. One that I would really recommend when you get your new DSLR is a 50mm f/1.8 lens. They're really inexpensive (compared to other lenses) at around $100 and with this lens you can get that really awesome shallow depth of field, where one point on the photo is in sharp focus and the rest is really blurry. It's a great lens to start learning about manual settings and such.

I also have an older D70 that I used for a while before I upgraded to the D300. That was my first DSLR and I loved it. Before that, I had a film Canon Rebel, but found that I just liked the interfacing of the Nikons better (for me, anyways). Of course, both companies make great cameras, so I don't think you'll have a problem either way you go. But it is smart to remember that you're buying a system that you'll want to stick with for a while.

Hope that helps somewhat, it's just a rundown of what I like to use. :)

Archived