What Kind Of Dslr Do You Use? Help Me Decide!

This has been a fun thread to follow. I had a Nikon D70 for several years. Don't worry about the rambunctious kids. I left that camera out and ready to go for years! It is very sturdy :)

I now have a Nikon D300. I LOVE it!!!! I still have a lot to learn, but wow!

I still have my point and shoot that I keep in my handbag, but you can't beat the DSLRs for your "special" moments.

It is worth your investment.

I am a great rationalizer; so here goes...

After the moment is past, you only have your memories and your photographs. I think a great camera is worth saving and splurging for. Just my 2 cents.

I can't wait to hear what you get!

I need to forward your post to my hubby!! LOL! He is far from a camera enthusiast and thought I was crazy when I told him the price!!! But I agree with you...the memories are forever and they are worth so much more than any price I can put on it.... I think I iwll really have to do my homework on this issue....I thought I was close to making a decision, but obviously I am not!!!! LOL!

Thanks again to all that have offered advice! I appreciate it!

I've enjoyed reading through some of the responses and just wanted to add mine. I use a Nikon D300 and have a few lenses that I like. One that I would really recommend when you get your new DSLR is a 50mm f/1.8 lens. They're really inexpensive (compared to other lenses) at around $100 and with this lens you can get that really awesome shallow depth of field, where one point on the photo is in sharp focus and the rest is really blurry. It's a great lens to start learning about manual settings and such.

I also have an older D70 that I used for a while before I upgraded to the D300. That was my first DSLR and I loved it. Before that, I had a film Canon Rebel, but found that I just liked the interfacing of the Nikons better (for me, anyways). Of course, both companies make great cameras, so I don't think you'll have a problem either way you go. But it is smart to remember that you're buying a system that you'll want to stick with for a while.

Hope that helps somewhat, it's just a rundown of what I like to use. :)

I love to see depth of field in a photo...I think it adds so much! I have been known to go back to my photos and "add" that effect in my editing program....Thanks for the lens recommendation. I will keep that in mind!

I just want to say thanks to the person who started this thread and all the people who gave advice. DH and I are looking at getting a DSLR by christmas. He wants the D90 but I just want one any one. but now I'm going into the store to see how it feels to hold compared to the Cannon. thanks.

I just want to say thanks to the person who started this thread and all the people who gave advice. DH and I are looking at getting a DSLR by christmas. He wants the D90 but I just want one any one. but now I'm going into the store to see how it feels to hold compared to the Cannon. thanks.

You are welcome, and I am so glad it has helped you also....it has definitely given me quite a lot of good info to consider!

I am happy to report that I get to "play" with a D70 next week ....my neighbors son is here on vacation and said I could use his whenever I wanted! So, next week, I am going to set a day aside to test drive it and see what I think of Nikon...I know I will love it of course, but it will really give me some hands on time before venturing to the store to look at current models....

thanks again to everyone!

DeAnna

Well, like Thess, I'm a Canon girl from way back when. I've had two Rebels, the XT and now the XSi. I love the smaller body because I have small hands and they just nestle in my hands so nicely. That's important because you have to control it. I think there's about an even split between Canon and Nikon. I went to two or three different camera stores, talked to the salesmen (no women in camera sales?). and once I made my decision, haunted web sites for sales, managed to get about $140 off with a rebate through Costco. I love my camera. I had looked at the newer Sony DSLRs too. One of the features I was interested in was in-body stabilization. However, after talking to several people that know more than I do (that's easy), the consensus is that its a great idea, but the technology is just not very good yet and over the next few years it will improve.

So, bottom line, get what feels good and what you can afford. And congratulations with saving for this great thing.

I have a Canon Rebel XTi and have been very happy with it. However, I was not impressed with the kit lens but it was great to start out with. I would say Laurels advice on the 50mm lens is spot on! I love mine. With kids, I would also recommend a lens with image stabilization! ;)

I will say that I had camera envy recently. A friend of mine upgraded to the Canon 50D and the ISO goes to 3200, awesome for night shots. But it is much heavier to hold and with kiddos on the run, that is something to consider. Just my two cents! Good luck with your choice, my advice, pick what feels right in your hand and you can comfortably afford but get the most you can afford (know what I mean?!)

DeAnna,

Thanks from me too for opening up this thread. We've gotten lots of good information here. I think it's wonderful that you're going to get to "test drive" a DSLR next week, and have wished many times that we could do the same in camera stores. Have any of you ever been able to do this? I know everyone mentions going in and holding several to see how they fit in your hand, but would it be nice to work with the controls a bit and actually take some photos.

But if I did that, I would feel obligated to buy the camera at that place, thereby not getting a "deal" from Costco, Amazon, or other discount places. I fear that the smaller camera places are going the way of independent booksellers - I just read the other day that Ritz camera, I think that was it, is going to be closing lots of stores.

Several years ago I spent almost an hour at our local Ritz having a young man explain everything about Canon Power Shots to me, going through all the options, etc. Later, the same day actually, I went to Circuit City and bought that very camera for $150 less. I've felt badly ever since, as the one who "sold" me on the camera, did not get the sale.

I have two Canons now and am probably going to buy a DSLR in the future. If I were going to buy one today, I'd lean towards the Canon XT1i. But the Nikon D5000 is looking very nice too.

I have the Nikon D60... It's really nice. I like the quality of the images I take with it.

I have heard good things about the D60 and it is on my list to check out. I definitely like the price point on it compared tothe D90!!!

I have a Canon Rebel XTi and have been very happy with it. However, I was not impressed with the kit lens but it was great to start out with. I would say Laurels advice on the 50mm lens is spot on! I love mine. With kids, I would also recommend a lens with image stabilization! ;)

I will say that I had camera envy recently. A friend of mine upgraded to the Canon 50D and the ISO goes to 3200, awesome for night shots. But it is much heavier to hold and with kiddos on the run, that is something to consider. Just my two cents! Good luck with your choice, my advice, pick what feels right in your hand and you can comfortably afford but get the most you can afford (know what I mean?!)

I will definitley be going with that lens when I get my camera...I really need to get the feel in my hand...I don't want anything too heavy, but also think I will get used to it....like anything new.

Here is a good site that I have looked at before for camera info...this guy really seems to know his stuff...

www.kenrockwell.com He reviews lots of cameras....think I will go read some more!!

DeAnna,

Thanks from me too for opening up this thread. We've gotten lots of good information here. I think it's wonderful that you're going to get to "test drive" a DSLR next week, and have wished many times that we could do the same in camera stores. Have any of you ever been able to do this? I know everyone mentions going in and holding several to see how they fit in your hand, but would it be nice to work with the controls a bit and actually take some photos.

But if I did that, I would feel obligated to buy the camera at that place, thereby not getting a "deal" from Costco, Amazon, or other discount places. I fear that the smaller camera places are going the way of independent booksellers - I just read the other day that Ritz camera, I think that was it, is going to be closing lots of stores.

Several years ago I spent almost an hour at our local Ritz having a young man explain everything about Canon Power Shots to me, going through all the options, etc. Later, the same day actually, I went to Circuit City and bought that very camera for $150 less. I've felt badly ever since, as the one who "sold" me on the camera, did not get the sale.

I have two Canons now and am probably going to buy a DSLR in the future. If I were going to buy one today, I'd lean towards the Canon XT1i. But the Nikon D5000 is looking very nice too.

Oh, I know just what you mean aobut feeling guilty!!! I did almost the same thing when I bought my last camera from B&HPhoto.com...felt bad for the salesperson I bugged for so long!! B&HPhoto alwasys seems to have the best prices and since it is iinternet, I didn't have to pay sales tax...that just added to my savings....

For those of you going to the convention in October, there will be a lot of DSLR's there!

And I bet those of us bringing them, will let those of you who are curious, "feel them up" a bit!

I'll be bringing both my Canons (since I'm doing a National Parks/Grand Canyon roadtrip right afterwards) and you're welcome to try both the Rebel XSi and the 40D/50D (depending on what I have at that date, LOL!).

And I know there are some Nikon-girls there too! I bet all you have to do is say "Please?!"...

The lens Laurel wrote about, a 50mm/f1.8, is really worth buying!!!

I have one for my Canons, but can't say I've used it much - yet! But I plan to!

If you have a Canon, there's also a 50mm/1.4.

It's less than half-price to the 1.8, and still very good. I used to have that, but gave it to my sister when I could afford to upgrade...

For those of you going to the convention in October, there will be a lot of DSLR's there!

And I bet those of us bringing them, will let those of you who are curious, "feel them up" a bit!

I'll be bringing both my Canons (since I'm doing a National Parks/Grand Canyon roadtrip right afterwards) and you're welcome to try both the Rebel XSi and the 40D/50D (depending on what I have at that date, LOL!).

And I know there are some Nikon-girls there too! I bet all you have to do is say "Please?!"...

That is SO NOT FAIR!!!! I won't be there!! But I look forward to hear what everyone has to say!!!

Making a camera choice can be such a tough decision, because for most of us, it is a big purchase. You have some great advice already, but here is my two cents.

I have a Nikon D50 (which are discontinued - about equivalent to a D40, but a has the autofocus motor and a few other extra features). I have used this camera for two years and just now feel like I am starting to outgrow it and actually understand why I am outgrowing it.

Someone mentioned camera weight. One of the reasons I am hesitant to upgrade is because most upgrades would be a heavier camera. A few ounces might not seem like much, but it makes a big difference if you have your camera around your neck while you walk around the zoo, museum, etc. With my camera and a decent lens on, my neck is sore after a couple of hours.

There was also talk about megapixels and enlargements. My camera is only 6MP and I have been thinking that might be one of the reasons I want to upgrade. But, I was recently reading somewhere about how with more megapixels comes need for more storage space. If I upgrade to a 12 MP camera, each picture will take up twice as much room and my hard drives will fill up quickly. Something for me to consider, since I take A LOT of pictures! :) You could use a higher megapixel camera at a lower resolution setting, but that kind of negates the extra money spent on a higher MP camera.

Another one of my favorite purchases is my external flash. I bought a SB-400 flash for about $120 and it is one of my best purchases. It is still pretty small and light, but it throws a lot more light than the on camera flash and has the ability to 'bounce', getting rid of nasty shadowing.

So, here is my two cents, for what it's worth. If I had $1200 to spend (the cost of a D90 with a kit lens) I would seriously consider buying a 'lessor' camera (D40, D60 or maybe D5000) and spend my extra money on a good lens (or two) and the extra flash instead.

Just keep in mind with the D40 and D60, not all lenses will autofocus. Sometimes this makes the lens cost more than it would be for a different camera.

Hope this is helpful! I totally know how overwhelming these decisions can be. In two years, one of the main things I have learned is that money spent on good lenses is good money spent. They will be with you for a long time, vs a camera body that may be 3-5 years.

Very interesting comments, Christy. I like your reasoning. And to tell the truth, I hadn't thought about the extra storage space photos from a camera with a large number of megapixels would consume! That's really something to think about. Of the two cameras I'm looking at, one has 12MP and the other 15MP; and while I don't NEED those MP (I don't print in poster size!) to get the latest technology and other features I want, I'll have to buy a camera with MP somewhere in that range.

But like you, I think it would make more sense for me to buy the extra lens and external flash. IF if had the money, that is ;-)

And if any of the SGs who are planning to be at the meet-up in Harrisburg, PA on the 29th of August are reading this thread - if we say "please" real nice, could we try out your "big girl" cameras?

Good topic and I think it will have quite a way to run yet.

I'm moving in the opposite direction from most of you. I have a Nikon D300, with Nikon, Sigma lenses and my macro lens is a Tamron. You asked what we love and hate about it. Well, I love the pure quality of the image that I can get out of it (that is, when you get the exposure and the lighting right - and that really is what it's all about - because almost all modern cameras are capable of producing superb images).

But I hate the weight of it.

I used to carry it around all the time with me when we were on holiday until a few years ago, when in the sweltering heat (we're not used to heat, girls) my husband took it from me and he carried it. As the day wore on I could see that this gear was weighing him down too (I used a camera back-pack), and I decided at that point, enough was enough.

I bought a little Canon G9 which still allows me to shoot RAW and is also capable of extremely good images (except in low light - the Nikon excels here). It's still more weighty than a normal compact, but it pops in my shoulder bag. I use it to photograph my grandchildren when I visit them and it's quick & easy to work with. No meters, no lenses...no weight.

I use my Nikon now exclusively for my florals and still life, and when I'm motivated to do a landscape, otherwise it sits happily on the tripod in the room I work in and I still love it. But not for holidays, it's a stay-at-home camera now and life is easier. Especially when we're abroad! :D

Do let us know what you choose DeAnna.

Personally I just bought the Cannon XSi 2 weeks ago at Costco. got a mini bundle there I love mine I did buy the T1I originally and took it back i thought it was top heavy when I put the lens on it. Go to Ebay and do a slr search and see the bundles available there is some great buys but I was impatient & I wanted my camera right there and then I dont regret it one bit! My camera got 2 lens with the stabizer on them and I got a case and I just love my new camera!!

Very interesting comments, Christy. I like your reasoning. And to tell the truth, I hadn't thought about the extra storage space photos from a camera with a large number of megapixels would consume! That's really something to think about. Of the two cameras I'm looking at, one has 12MP and the other 15MP; and while I don't NEED those MP (I don't print in poster size!) to get the latest technology and other features I want, I'll have to buy a camera with MP somewhere in that range.

But like you, I think it would make more sense for me to buy the extra lens and external flash. IF if had the money, that is ;-)

And if any of the SGs who are planning to be at the meet-up in Harrisburg, PA on the 29th of August are reading this thread - if we say "please" real nice, could we try out your "big girl" cameras?

I will be bringing mine Sara you can play with it too!!

I have the Nikon D40, and I love it. Of course I wish I could have gotten the D60 or D90, but it wasn't in my budget. I figure a "basic" dslr is better than my old point and shoot, right? :) Unfortunately it just developed a problem with the battery contacts and is sent away to the repair center right now. :( It is under warranty, but I miss my camera. I bought the D40 (it came with 18-55 mm lens), and a 55-200 mm lens. I have blown up several images to 8x10 prints, and the quality was still stunning. Love it!

This has been a very fun and informative thread to read. I just got my "big girl" camera about 3 months ago. I don't think you ever can use "need" and DSLR in the same sentence unless you are a professional. lol Having said that I decided I "needed" a DSLR because I didn't like the power zoom and the slight delay on the shutter o my other Sony. I always had Nikon cameras in my film days but price was a factor. I have a Sony DSC-H7 which I love except for the two things mentioned.

I got a Sony A300 with a Tameron 35-200mm lens. I love the Sony because of 1) live view if I want to use the screen 2) it has a tilt screen so you can get high & low shots 3) the stabilization is in the body which make the lenses cheaper. I love the fact that I can control the zoom without waiting for the delay (would you say I'm an instant person)? I also love the immediate response of the shutter - I've gotten some great shots of my dogs playing which I always missed before. This camera had good reviews so I felt pretty comfortable purchasing it and I haven't regretted my choice.

Sarah - I plan on being in Harrisburg - if you are really nice to me and say pretty please and bribe me with chocolate I will let you play with my "big girl" camera! :disappearing-smilie:

Oh boy! Thank you Caren and Margot. I'll bring lots of chocolate, and my very best manners to Harrisburg next month.

I'm so looking forward to playing with your cameras...er, I mean meeting up with you! ;-)

Oh yeah, you can use mine too, if you want!

Hi DeAnna~Presently I use a wonderful Canon point and shoot, but since I have done photography for over 20 years, I still have 3 Minolta SLRs with all the lenses, and they are not digital. Eventually I will go digital and it will most likely be a Canon as from what I have read and heard, they are the most reliable. Right now with limited funds, I mainly use my Canon digital, but have used my film cameras because I have great lenses including an 8-inch telescope that subs for a large lens for me...just wish they make the lenses interchangeable for the newer cameras, but then they wouldn' make money, lol! Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide and how you like it. :cowwave:

Archived