Gimp Software

Hi! I'm a newbie to all this digital scrapbooking, but determined to learn! I have lots of free time here at work so I downloaded the Gimp software...Well I'm totally confused!! I tried uploading paper from a kit, then a picture but cannot seem to figure out how to work between the layers? I will have the paper up and then I can't find the picture!! I have never made a digital page so my biggest concern is how to work within layers!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a million..

Hi! I'm a newbie to all this digital scrapbooking, but determined to learn! I have lots of free time here at work so I downloaded the Gimp software...Well I'm totally confused!! I tried uploading paper from a kit, then a picture but cannot seem to figure out how to work between the layers? I will have the paper up and then I can't find the picture!! I have never made a digital page so my biggest concern is how to work within layers!!

Thanks a million..

Hi, I am a newbie too.

I have worked with Gimp a little bit.

The easiest way that I have found to add things to my layout are to go to File>Open as Layers

I always create a new canvas at 12X12 and 300 dpi then open the paper and other items as a new layer.

There may be an easier way but this is the way that works best for me. I have tried to drag and drop and to copy and paste but those all seem to difficult and I get differant outcomes each time.

There definitely is a learning curve with gimp but it is great for a free program. If you google "gimp tutorials" there are a lot out there that may help you learn the program.

HTH

Kim

Thanks a million..

Hi, I am a newbie too.

I have worked with Gimp a little bit.

The easiest way that I have found to add things to my layout are to go to File>Open as Layers

I always create a new canvas at 12X12 and 300 dpi then open the paper and other items as a new layer.

There may be an easier way but this is the way that works best for me. I have tried to drag and drop and to copy and paste but those all seem to difficult and I get differant outcomes each time.

There definitely is a learning curve with gimp but it is great for a free program. If you google "gimp tutorials" there are a lot out there that may help you learn the program.

HTH

Kim

Thank you Kim...I actually have printed several of the tutorials..but still confused!

I can get the part where you open new layers and I see them to the side bar on the right..but I can't figure out how to pull layers up and then merge them together!!!

First thing I am wondering is if you know how to raise and lower the layers. Your photo needs to be above your paper. You can do this in GIMP in two ways: first way, look at the bottom of the layers pallette in Gimp. Make sure you are clicked on the picture layer and then click the up arrow at the bottom of the palette. It will raise the photo layer. The other way is to click on the photo layer and drag it above the paper. Remember that you are doing this in the layers palette. Once you have everything the way you want it, be sure you save the file as an xcf or psd file. This way you save your layers so you can go back and make changes if you need to. Then you can do save as and save your file as a jpg. This will merge the layers for you. Hope this helps. If you have other questions, feel free to pm me, I use Gimp quite a bit and may be able to help you out. Oh yes, and Welcome to ScrapGirls!

First thing I am wondering is if you know how to raise and lower the layers. Your photo needs to be above your paper. You can do this in GIMP in two ways: first way, look at the bottom of the layers pallette in Gimp. Make sure you are clicked on the picture layer and then click the up arrow at the bottom of the palette. It will raise the photo layer. The other way is to click on the photo layer and drag it above the paper. Remember that you are doing this in the layers palette. Once you have everything the way you want it, be sure you save the file as an xcf or psd file. This way you save your layers so you can go back and make changes if you need to. Then you can do save as and save your file as a jpg. This will merge the layers for you. Hope this helps. If you have other questions, feel free to pm me, I use Gimp quite a bit and may be able to help you out. Oh yes, and Welcome to ScrapGirls!

Thank you Gina for helping! I didn't realize you have to save each layer as you progress and then move to the next layer. I will try what you suggested and let you know if I have anymore questions..:) Thank you again!!!!!!!!!

I love it here at ScrapGirls...the best site by far in my opinion...!

Archived