New Laptop Has Me Baffled

AnnBK

Well, not completely baffled, but I do have some VERY basic questions. I have a Toshiba, running Vista (which will upgrade to Windows 7 in October), and have downloaded a trial of PSE 7. I have always used a Mac, which is so simple and straight forward, so this PC is challenging. First basic question, how do I access things on either disc or EHD? I plug them in and the computer tells me they are there, but I can't figure out how to open items in the EHD in PSE 7.

Click on the "Computer" icon found on your desktop. You will see a list of your hard drives. Your EHD will be found in the list. If it isn't, then it isn't working or isn't plugged in correctly. (Sometimes, you need to install software for your EHD. That is rare because Vista generally "finds" it.) Double-click on the drive you want to access and you'll see your files.

If you want to find things on your C drive - such as your documents, photos, etc. (Things that have naturally gone into the windows filing system), you will click on the folder that has the name of your computer. Mine is called, "Rozanne". This naming happens during installation. That folder will have the filing system for your C drive.

Of course, you can put files anywhere you want. This is the default filing system.

Thanks for all your help. The EHD must not be plugged in properly, it doesn't show up anywhere. I tried going though the file>open in PSE and couldn't find anything there. Also, where will I find a disc that's playing in the optical drive? I have dutifully burned all my supplies to CD's, and could use them from there if I have to. I know I'll get this all figured out and will love the laptop once I do.

Ann, I have a Toshiba running Vista. In the lower left corner is a round icon with the windows logo in it. Right click on it. choose Explore and then you can cursor or scroll down the list of files & drives your laptop is recognizing. I do this to open my files for downloading SG files. Then I can see what has transferred if I lose track. If my EHD isn't responding, it will be obvious b/c I won't see it listed. Mine is the E drive.

I hope that helps with the nuts & bolts of finding your drives.

Hugs,

Well, I figured out the disc reader, but the EHD is still not responding. There is a tiny little icon on the lower right that tells me to "click here to safely remove device", and that drop down menu lists the EHD...by brand and model, so I know someone inside this case sees it! Thanks for all your help!

Ann I don't have PSE 7, but I do have a laptop running vista.

When I put stuff into photoshop I do

file >open

then on the top is a thing that says "look in"

if you click on the thing that looks like a file folder with a green arrow on it. I keep going back till I can click on computer

then I can see my EHD there......

Does that help?

Ann ...

PLEASE don't be insulted by this potential thought ... does the EHD have power? Is it possible you maybe forgot to plug it into the wall? Can't tell you how many times I've done stupid things of that nature.

If you're sure it's plugged in and receiving power as well as plugged into the laptop, maybe the USB cord has gone bad and the physical connection isn't good.

Just some random thoughts.

Ann I don't have PSE 7, but I do have a laptop running vista.

When I put stuff into photoshop I do

file >open

then on the top is a thing that says "look in"

if you click on the thing that looks like a file folder with a green arrow on it. I keep going back till I can click on computer

then I can see my EHD there......

Does that help?

Thanks, Michelle, I've tried all those approaches, but nothing works. For some reason, my computer just doesn't want to list my EHD as a drive. It tells me I should "click here to close safely", but the computer just doesn't list it. There must be some simple setting that I'm missing. I'm looking at this as a learning opportunity!

Ann ...

PLEASE don't be insulted by this potential thought ... does the EHD have power? Is it possible you maybe forgot to plug it into the wall? Can't tell you how many times I've done stupid things of that nature.

If you're sure it's plugged in and receiving power as well as plugged into the laptop, maybe the USB cord has gone bad and the physical connection isn't good.

Just some random thoughts.

Not insulted at all...I've done that more times than I care to think. Yes, I checked the power line and it's plugged in, I get lights on the EHD when I plug it into the computer. And I have tried using both laptop battery and direct connection to power. What really baffles me is that at some level, my computer knows it's there, it tells me I need to click here to remove it safely.

It just won't let me use anything in it! UNFAIR!!

Ann,

I haven't been through this, but did you have the EHD before you bought the Toshiba? Is it possible that it's formatted for a Mac, and not for Windows. That might account for the strange symptoms.

Another thing to try is a flash drive or some other device in the SAME port. Sometimes a new port might be defective.

Another thing to try: unplug the EHD from the computer. Wait at least 60 seconds (use a timer.) Then plug it in. Windows should confirm within 10-15 seconds with an audible "da dum" sound that is musically about a major fourth or fifth (I'm not sure, but I'm just trying to describe the nature of the sound.) When you plug it in, watch the lower right corner for brief popups. There are usually three with a new device: detecting new hardware, installing drivers, and ready to use. If you don't get those, disconnect, wait 60 seconds again, and try a different port. You may also want to power down and restart first. Once it detects it successfully, it is easier in the future. If you unplug, replug, etc rapidly, it gets confused and won't work at all.

Ann,

I haven't been through this, but did you have the EHD before you bought the Toshiba? Is it possible that it's formatted for a Mac, and not for Windows. That might account for the strange symptoms.

Another thing to try is a flash drive or some other device in the SAME port. Sometimes a new port might be defective.

Another thing to try: unplug the EHD from the computer. Wait at least 60 seconds (use a timer.) Then plug it in. Windows should confirm within 10-15 seconds with an audible "da dum" sound that is musically about a major fourth or fifth (I'm not sure, but I'm just trying to describe the nature of the sound.) When you plug it in, watch the lower right corner for brief popups. There are usually three with a new device: detecting new hardware, installing drivers, and ready to use. If you don't get those, disconnect, wait 60 seconds again, and try a different port. You may also want to power down and restart first. Once it detects it successfully, it is easier in the future. If you unplug, replug, etc rapidly, it gets confused and won't work at all.

Thanks, Barbara, I haven't tried those approaches yet, but I will. I have other USB devices plugged into the port and they all work. The EHD was formerly used with my beloved (and very sick) iMac, the formatting might be an issue, but it did not come with any software, just plug and play. I get all those notices, just no recognition in the computer list of drives. I'll try plugging it into another USB port and see if that helps.

Thanks to you all for the help you've given...don't you just LOVE this place?

Ann, I know you're frustrated and I don't have any advice, but hang in there! I have a new Toshiba laptop and absolutely love it. It's worth the hassle, I promise!

It's not the laptop, it's the operating system...if I can just figure out Vista....it's so much more complicated than any Mac OS...but it's a good mental workout. I would really like to be able to access all my supplies on my EHD, but I"m thinking that might not be possible.

Oh, don't give up on reading your EHD!

You might also try: 1) take it to a friend or shop with a Mac, and see if they can read it. That will determine if the files are ok and readable. If you can re-write them in Windows format (there may or may not be room to do all at once, may have to do piecemeal, you might try that.

2) take it to a friend or shop with a Windows PC and have THEM try it, also. Sometimes the easiest way to diagnose things is by testing to see if the results are the same or different elsewhere.

3) Finally, I'd get some kind of Windows Vista introduction book. Both Windows and Mac will "get you there," but the controls are different, and feel complicated if you're not used to them. I'm sure you'll master it quickly!

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your help on this issue. I feel like I have a good handle on Vista, which is a major step forward from a Mac user. I just want to be able to access all my goodies on that EHD....and I'll figure that out, it may just take a while.

Ann, maybe check the compatibility of the EHD with PC. You may need to visit the website of the manufacturer to update a driver if it is compatible.

You may also try a different USB port.

Hopw you get it worked out soon!

Archived