Saving Files To Disc

Guest jumpseatjen

Guest jumpseatjen
another stupid question from a newbie who doesn't have time to research the answer and hoping someone can help me. When i am saving my d/l files to disc, should i save as a zipped file, or unzip and then save? Or both??
HELP!!! I want to save before my pc crashes. Not that i'm expecting it to, but you never know!
Jen

Jen, not a stupid question at all, :). I usually leave mine zipped and then backup to discs. I think it's pretty much a personal preference. If you want to be able to browse the discs and grab something off of it easier though you might want to burn them unzipped. :) Very smart to backup files before a computer crashes, I learned that the hard way, lol.

Guest jumpseatjen
is it hard to pull something off of the disc if you've burned it as a zipped file? Or is it fairly easy? Does this go the same for Ro's tutorials on PSE?? I purchased that and have yet to look through it, but i want to save it first!
Looks like you are not far from me! I am in Olympia!
Jen

It's fairly easy to pull something off of a disc if it's burned as a zip file. You just won't be able to preview the items like you would by browsing if they were unzipped. The tutorials I myself would personally back those up both ways. I'd back them up unzipped so I could easily insert the cd and view those without adding them to the hard drive, then I'd also back them up as zip files just in case the other disc got scratched or becomes unreadable for any reason, that way I'd still have a copy of those that I could use later on.
You're right about not being that far away. Kelso is 66.58 miles from Olympia, lol.

Personally I back up all my downloaded files onto DVD as zip files. I also have a copy of them both zipped and unzipped on an external hard drive but this was corrupted recently so I had to restore everything from my backups - not a happy chappy over here but at least I had the DVDs to start from.

I save them to an external hard drive in both formats. I try to save my zipped files regularly. And my unzipped about every 2 months. Because if my computer crashes, I don’t want to have to spend that many hours unzipping and organizing my files again. I only save the zipped files to CD since they take up less room.

I learned to save all of my files in at least 3 places when I have roommates in college.

Guest pegmac71
After I unzip the files on my hard drive, I save the zipped files to a CD or DVD. I work on a laptiop that is brand new, so I am in the proces of buying an external hard drive that I will back up my unzipped files to.
Peggy

Guest jumpseatjen
Ok, you've got me confused now. Some of you are mentioning saving to DVD as opposed to CD....does it really make a difference? And if so, what is the difference???

Guest krokscrapper
How does it work with an external hard disk? Do you connect it with a USB cable and use just as a "normal harddrive"? Does it take longer to access files? Are they big?

Archived