How Many Is To Many?

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in ages but I still stop by often for my "SG" fix.

I know everyone has read about hard drive failure before but it is so important that I'm adding my story to the list.

I have a Mac and added the "Time capsule" automatic backup. Also have Mozy and, until, the start of this

year I did a 3rd backup on an EHD. Yes, I became lazy at the beginning of the year and stopped the 3rd

backup to the EHD. Three backups seemed like overkill to me.

You guessed it! The day came when I couldn't turn on the computer; took it in had it repaired and brought

it home to reload. No worries, had 2 backups. Spent over a week trying to get them to reload, couldn't get

the TC to work it only downloaded the original programs, no data. Waited couple of days for Mozy to prepare

download for me but couldn't find it once I'd downloaded it.

The computer went down again and was taken back to store along with the Time capsule. Both drives were bad!!!

I'm very, very lucky. The techs were able to save Most of my content.

Although I have all my scrap supplies in 2 different places I lost my 2nd iphoto library ( That's

the one with all the Tagged items in it!!!! )and my most recent purchases.

Now 3 backups don't seem like overkill; in fact, 4 doesn't. I'm going to transfer data to a disc every month instead

of every once in a while and go back to using the EHD too!!

So please, BACKUP and backup and backup!!!!

Oh Kricket, I am so sorry that you've experienced this. Having gone through a EHD crash recently, I completely understand and myself can't be too careful and have multiple backups. I think it's important to share these stories (though you hope it never happens) with others so hopefully others don't experience the same loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing your story! Unfortunately, I too just found out how important it is to have more than one backup!

I had my laptop downstairs over the weekend and it was working fine. Monday morning I shut it down to take it back to my home office and when I turned it on it refused to start up. System Repair kept running and nothing worked. 2 hours on the phone with Dell support, turned out that the problem wasn't my computer but Vista. Somewhere, somehow, one of the updates corrupted my system. I emailed Mozy to restore my hard drive (my EHD is ok) and am about halfway done with the restore. Fortunately, my Seagate EHD (which backed up my whole system daily) has just about everything except the few things I worked on over the weekend (Mozy has the rest). But you never know how much your backup means until you lose something.

From now on I'm keeping all my "redundant" backups, including the discs I burn every month. Never can be too careful.

Back ups are sooooo important, I couldn't imagine losing my "stuff"... At times, I feel a little like I am doing overkill, until I read threads like this and then I am glad for all of my precautions...

I have two internal hard drives, one is a mirror of the other, so if one ever fails, I have an exact duplicate. Then I have two external drives. On one of them, I keep all of my older photos, as I have had a digital camera for nearly 10 years and that's a lot of files! So I have the ones that have been printed and scrapped to death on one of my external drives, then all of the picture files from both my internal and external get backed up to my other external drive, as well as all of my scrapping stuff is backed up there...

WHEW! I think I am safe....

Archived