New Board Stuff

Shari PV Mom

I've read all the posts in this thread in regards to color.

I'm still having some issues. Although its not white anymore i see a light purple color.

I tried playing with some settings for my contrast etc. and that just makes things worse.

When I unplug my laptop the monitor dulls its self automatically to save battery power I guess and when i lighten it up when its plugged in when i unplug it I can hardly see a thing.

I'm gonna have to go to the eye doctor I think. Its also at work I get migraines frequently. Maybe I need some tinted glasses, just with a soft tint to cut back on the brightness. I know my eyes are sensitive.

Until then I'll just have to limit my time on the boards which is too bad really I'm off work for a month still how am I going to fill my days http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't get the TIPS FOR USING SITE tab to show up, even maximizing my window. I'm using IE8. When I asked to 'refresh', IE8 also high-lighted the option next to the refresh tab which is a 'compatibility' tab to use for websites that use an older browser. Do I need to use that and use IE7? I've noticed that all the websites I go to are displayed in a REALLY large format. I didn't notice it at first, but it may have happened when I upgraded to IE8. So far, I haven't found a way to make it display smaller. I really don't like the large version--I find myself leaning way back from my monitor!

its' there... Maybe you should close your browser and come back. If you've been on the board without closing up since Friday, there is a chance that you are seeing an old cached version. I added that link on Saturday afternoon.

These are the links:

* Scrap Girls Home

* Forums

* Members

* Calendar

* Chat

* Gallery

* Blogs

* Boutique

* SG University

* Search with Google

* TIPS FOR USING SITE

its' there... Maybe you should close your browser and come back. If you've been on the board without closing up since Friday, there is a chance that you are seeing an old cached version. I added that link on Saturday afternoon.

These are the links:

* Scrap Girls Home

* Forums

* Members

* Calendar

* Chat

* Gallery

* Blogs

* Boutique

* SG University

* Search with Google

* TIPS FOR USING SITE

Very strange. I don't see the last two 'Search with Google' and 'Tips for using site'. I always log off and shut down my pc when I don't plan on being on it, so that can't be the problem. My screen is maximized to the fullest, and always is, so that can't be the problem. Don't know what the problem is. I'll just check out your links and go from there.

Thanks for all of your help Ro. RO ROCKS!

I removed the Search for Google link because I moved the link to the tutorial into the TIPS for USING site area.

That TIPS FOR USING site link is in the TOP navigation bar. It is immediately right of the search. It isn't a TAB. It's a LINK.

Here is a screenshot of where the link is located.

Tips-for-using-site.jpg

OK, I figured out how to make the ‘Tips for using site’ show up on my computer. Somehow, the zoom in my IE8 had gotten changed to 125%, thus the large web pages that were making me want to lean back from my computer. I put it back to 100% and the ‘look’ was what I once had. However, I still couldn’t see the ‘Tips’ header. I have to take the zoom down to at least 80% before I can see all of the tab entries. Then, everything looks too small and begins to be hard to read. But now that I know what to do, I can keep it at 100% and just lower it when I want to use the missing tabs. 100% gets me through ‘SG University’.

This was also my problem with the Gallery thumbnails & titles being cut-off. 100% gives me the whole LO thumbnail and ‘most’ of the titles.

So I’m good to go!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm tips for using site was there before, but now it's missing. Is it a monthly game??? Search for the missing links, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh boy, did someone say new game? At least it looks like more people are playing the monthly game today. It moves so slow when there are only a few.

I have changed the name of the link to: TIPS AND GUIDELINES FOR USING SITE

I changed it because I have added both tutorials and guidelines for using the website. The link is exactly the same.

If you will look now, you will see that these items have been added:

1. How to view all of the gallery images in one spot

2. How to see new and unread posts

3. How To Subscribe And Receive Notifications When Comments Are Made To Your Layouts

4. How To Subscribe To Forums And Topics. How To Manage Subscriptions. How To Manage Notifications from the board.

5. About the Warn Status. What is it? What does it mean?

6. How To Create Your Own Album. How To Upload A Layout Into Your Album. How To View Your Album.

6. How to view all of any given member's layouts at once.

7. How To Upload A Layout into the Gallery

8. How to Save, View and Manage Gallery Favorites

9. How to View Today's Active Content and mark forum as all read.

10. How To Change Your Profile Settings

Includes: (Avatar, Photo, Signature, Time Settings,Status, Customer Member Title)

11. Resizing Browser View by Zooming In and Out

12. Adding Scrap Girls Blinkies to Your Signature

13. Signature guidelines

14. Scraplifting Etiquette

15. Chat Room Etiquette

16. Accessing the Scrap Girls Chat room and Time Converter tool

17. Using Google Search To Search The Scrap Girls Forum Google's Tool Bar Site Search allows you to search for words, acronyms, and phrases.

Coincidentally, one of the tutorials I wrote is how to zoom in and out of a website through keyboard shortcuts! If you have any ideas for tutorials you would like to see, please let me know. I am grabbing them out of questions people ask (and things I know people need to know).

Guest Happy99

I do have a question, I too had to change the view zoom to 75 to see the new links at the top, is this a Internet Explorer 8 issue? or is it because I upgraded to the Windows XP home edition service pack three? I also have that compatibility button now too.

Ah ha! I'm so smart (Patting myself on the back.) Bwahahaha

Guess what it is? Your browser wasn't pulled out wide enough. I just discovered that if you pull the browser in narrower, the links at the end of the list fall off.

I've just rearranged them so that this TIPS link is first on the list of links I was able to add. (The other ones are embedded in the software and I can't control their location.)

Hopefully, that will do it!

Guest Happy99

Thank you Ro:) But I checked to make sure I was in Maximize mode, and I was so I looked at Tools link and found a link for Compatibility View and Compatibility View Settings - I clicked on the Compatibility View Settings link or button (not really sure what you call those) and I noted that there was a box checked next to Display Intranet Sites in Compatibility View. ---- What in the world is Intranet? I thought I was on the Internet. I don't have a network or anything like that - I just use my own desktop computer.

Anyhoo - I clicked on the box that says Display all Websites in Compatibility view - this one is located right below the one I mentioned previously. Yeah I now see the Tips and Guidelines link in 100% View>Zoom mode.

Here is a list of the links I see in 100% view>zoom mode:

Scrap Girls Home

Forums

Members

Calendar

Chat

Gallery

Blogs

Tips and Guidelines for Using the Site

Here is a list of the links I see in addition to those when I am in 75% View Zoom Mode:

Boutique

SG University

Oh, I see the Search button what ever view zoom mode I am in.

Question: I purchased a new 19 inch flat screen monitor at around the same time I upgraded to Service pack 3, could this be the problem? How would I change settings for view stuff on the new flat screen? The monitor is a HP w1907 model. I see purple and a pretty cream in the background of posts, so don't think I have a color problem. Just Viewing problems.

Question 2: Why am I in intranet?

Intranet = the network a company has for it's own employees. Internet Explorer is set so that if you happen to be in an intranet, you are automatically in compatibility view.

Compatibility view = Microsoft has a terrible habit of updating their browsers in such a way that it messes up websites. Developers are constantly scrambling to catch up to them. IE 8 made some big changes and this meant that some software that websites use, can be behind and won't display correctly. If your browser is in capability view, this means that if you go to a website that is compatible with IE 7, it will still display correctly. It is common for company's behind-the-scene websites (Intranets) to be compatible with IE 7 - not 8. Microsoft knew this and made sure that a company can do business while using IE8.

It sounds like your computer was having issues with compatibility (although, this website is IE 8 compatible.)

The number of items you'll see on the navigation bar depends upon how wide your browser is pulled out. If your browser is pulled in narrower... less navigation items. Wider... more... This is true regardless of the browser you are using.

Try it and see. Look at the navigation bar while you pull the browser narrower and wider.

Your monitor doesn't need any changes made.

Hope that helps!

Guest Happy99

Well that helps bunches, except that I am in full screen view. I checked text size and that is at medium. So I am not sure how to view the whole screen that I should be viewing. This is so strange. I am sorry I'm so much trouble with all these questions. Any other ideas on what I could do?

What I'm trying to say - unsuccessfully - is that the amount you see depends on the size that YOU set your browser to. You know how you can drag any window in and out, right? You can resize it? Well, the amount of information you see on the navigation bar - what links - is dependent upon how larger you have sized your browser window to. I'm talking about how wide you drag the browser window. It has nothing to do with any view settings in your tool bar at all.

If you will grab the sides of the browser window with your mouse and drag it out and in, you'll see that the navigation bar changes. The search item is programmed so that it is always there - no matter what your browser window size is. The home item and the forum item are programmed to always be there.

But the other navigational items (like blog, gallery, chat, etc.) are dependent upon your browser window size and that is dependent upon how wide you drag it. Of course, people with smaller monitors can't drag it as wide as people with larger monitors. They don't have as much room.

Guest Happy99

Ok, I minimized and pulled it out as far as possible - and then I maximized the screen again so that it fills the entire screen. Now I get the Blogs and Boutique, but not getting the SG University. I guess my screen may be to small. Or maybe I have some screwy setting somewhere. Thank you Ro for all your help:)

You must have a smaller monitor - or you aren't using the full monitor If I look at the board with my Netbook (only 10" monitor) I can't see last three navigational item (the tips, the SG University, and the newsletter sign-up), on the Netbook unless I zoom clear out. That is due to the small Netbook monitor size rather than the board software

If you are using a bigger monitor, you can see more of the top links.

If you are using a smaller monitor, you can't.

It's called real estate. Smaller monitors don't have as much real estate as large monitors.

Archived