What Do You Do With Old Negatives

bjc

i am cleaning out a closet and found a lot of old negatives...some have info on the envelope, some dont.... what do you do with old negatives? do you save them? they are in envelopes and shoe boxes...if you think i should save them any ideas how to save/store them?

Do you have prints from them? If not, there are scanners that will scan slides and negatives, and then you will have nice digital copies for scrapping -- my dream is to get one of those scanners and digitize the gazillions of negatives and slides I have laying around.

I have a scanner that scans negatives and puts them onto the computer and you can print them out as photos. Thats if you don't already have the photos. Otherwise I would bundle them all up and put them in a safe dark place and deal with it another day. My logic behind that is maybe they will be needed one day. :disappearing-smilie: Sorry not much help really am I!!

SAVE THEM! My mother saved every negative negative from my childhood. Even though prints were made some have been damaged or sunbleached and/or are cut up to fit in collage frames. I just got a negative scanner and there are companies that will do that for you. If they were saved well you will always be able to duplicate a picture that is ruined or goes missing. Scanning them and giving a copy to your kids would be a wonderful gift. I have very few prints of my childhood until I discovered my mother's negatives. Now I can scan them in :D There are ways to save your negatives. It isn't hard to find out how by doing a google search.

guess i will do a combination of all the above advice...i wont throw them out ( as much as i am tempted too...i just cant do it...lol...but not sure what i will ever do with them...but you never know so i just keep on saving them!) i know i can scan them and my scanner has a negative holder but i have never done that and i dont know how i would find time ( would be interested in the mentioned companies that do that if its not too costly) so i just will keep saving them... if only i had the time to print, and make lo with the photos i already have and then move on to the negatives...one day perhaps...thanks for all the info ...confirming that i should not throw them out

I am of the "Save what you're interested in", craft with the ones that you know you'll never use.

They sell binders that have acid free sleeves specifically made for 35mm negative strips. Placing them in this environment will prevent any further degradation of their quality - until you do "find the time".

I have a negative-capable scanner - but only scan when there are specific photos I'm looking for. I don't think I could ever find the time to scan them all at once. Never mind the scrapping inspiration that will hit you just looking at all these old gems.

I'm into mixed media & altered art - and I'LL TAKE ALL OF THE NEGATIVES ANY OF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF! I'll send you a postage paid box/envelope!!! Then you won't feel so bad about getting rid of them, think of it as sending them to a good home!

Bobbie, my parents were looking to transfer their old Super8s and other video to digital. I found them this company. Home Movie Depot. They also do photos slides and negatives. It was recommended from a few message boards and stuff, but I haven't tried them personally yet so I can't say. Also, Shutterfly will do this also. Just hunt around and check things like resolution of scans and such when choosing. You want to make sure that their scans are high enough quality for your needs.

See, that's the thing of it Bobbie. I don't have time to work with the tons of digital photos I have now. I just can't be worrying about scads of old negatives - BTW, I have prints of all those and they are in good shape - and my daughter/grandchildren probably don't want them either. If I procrastinate long enough, it will be her problem anyway LOL!

Mary Elizabeth O'Toole (a Scrap Girl Instructor, who I can't remember her email address) has a business that scans photos and negatives (I think it is Memory Makers, but not sure....forgive me but I am struggling with a severe sinus infection and sore throat that I "inherited" from my hubby), but one of the girls should be able to tell you have to get in touch with her (I know she has a gallery, but I could not get into the Month of Gratitude forum). She may know where to direct you if you want your negatives scanned. Sorry this is so cryptic, but hope it helps a little.

NS_Scrapper - just remembered her screen-name!!! Forgive me Mary Elizabeth!!!

I keep my negatives in negative sleeves. I have all the ones from my parents' childhoods as well. The negatives are in better condition than the prints. My mother filed them all (by person and year) in little envelopes in an index card file cabinet. I'm sure they don't make them anymore, but it has kept them quite nicely for the last 40-50 years.

theoretically you get a better scan from a negative than from a print.

I have the 5x7 glass negatives of my grandparents' wedding pictures. My dad had printed several of them. They look brand new.

Costco will scan slides - they might do negatives; I don't recall.

:)

I scanned several (way too many) slides a couple of years ago so I could make an imovie for my mom's 80th birthday. Anyway, to get to my point, if you need them and want to scan them I would definately only do so many at one time as you can drive yourself crazy by doing the amount I did. (I think it was 100).

Archived