Best Way To Print Many Church Photo Directories

naninca

Every few years our church does a photo directory. We've used an outside vendor for years, but when the Pastor saw my photoshop projects, he asked if I'd take this on.

We have a few professional photographers that will set up lights and backdrops (and train those interested in portrait photography!).

We'll then put the photos into a book (and maybe on Shutterfly so folks can order). We can print nice color pages in house.

But my real question is: how can I bind these? We have done simple paper ones that are just stapled along the long edge. But, with photos and thicker, glossier paper, that may look too cheap. (We're looking at maybe 30 - 40 pages per booklet.) Also, is there a recommended paper for such a thing?

Please tell me I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. They want to start this whole thing next month. And please STOP me if I start color correcting, whitening teeth, removing blemishes etc on EVERY SINGLE PORTRAIT.

It sounds like a really great idea - but I'm a little worried it may have unforseen challenges!

Any help would be oh so much appreciated! :dancingelephant:

Thanks,

Nancy

If you are gonna get them printed you might as well do local like Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Kinkos, Costco. You can get them bound at Staples for a good price and since its for a church they should be able to do discounts for bulk binding. These businesses will know which is the best paper to do it on and will also offer a plastic cover so that the front cover can be see through as well to keep it nice looking and safe from spills, etc. Depending on how big your church is this could easily run into at least a couple hundred.

And watch the pricing of those plastic covers! I created a business plan, had it printed at Kinkos on good quality paper, had them bind it (with the black plastic spiral things) and used a nice plastic cover. I had them prepare 5 for me and they were $26.00 each. :)

For the church, I would suggest you go with good quality paper, cover stock for the front and back cover have it hole punched and placed into a nice report cover that you would purchase separately.

Although it never hurts to ask, don't expect any deals because you are a church. I find most places aren't as generous as they used to be. Instead of telling them you are a church, ask if they have any discounts for registered charities. Then if they say yes, they can't change their mind because you are a church. I have noticed a lot of places refusing to give churches good pricing simply because it would "appear" as though they (the business) are supporting the church and therefore not supporting other special interest groups. It's a different world we live in.....

And now....off my orange box. LOL

Thanks for the tips.

We're planning to print in house, and have the plastic comb binder and a power hole punch.

I like the idea of a report cover. That might work.

It seems, though, that there ought to be a way to bind the pages, similar to a magazine. Or, just thought of this, print on double sized paper, fold in half, and staple the centers.

Hmm, lots to think about!

Nancy

Archived