• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 B&K Mom

B&K Mom

Just a girl who loves to scrap!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,313 posts
  • Location:Northwest Alaska...loving life on the Last Frontier!

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

After hearing an hour long discussion with the author on NPR (National Public Radio), I was compelled to read this book. The responses to her writing mentioned how emotionally honest she was and how truthful the work seemed to be. I am not a huge reader. It takes a lot to get me to finish a book though I start many. :rolleyes: I purchased the book and read over half of it on the plane to Alaska in June, finishing it on the return trip in July. It is indeed an amazing work of fiction. It is actually 12 short stories which all intersect at one character (not surprisingly Olive Kitteridge), a bit eccentric and emotionally raw woman living in a small town in Maine. Her involvement in each story is variable. She, as a character, is fascinating and surprising and insightful and honest and irritating and, of all things, noble. I found the writing to be complex and compelling and thoughtfully readable. The language was as raw as Olive herself, so if words starting with f and s turn you off, you may want to skip this book. They are used in an honest way, not as a mere attention grabber. I was brought to tears several times and found myself exploring my own emotions right along with Olive. I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates excellent writing that strings you along a bit, making you wait for and ponder over missing pieces rather than spooning them to you. Those who enjoy unraveling a character will enjoy this as well. To be honest, it's hard to fully describe this book to others except that it is one of the most powerful and honest and amazing books I've ever read.

Have you read it? What did you think?
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 18,095 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

I haven't read it, but I think it needs to go on my list of books to read. Thanks for sharing this.

gallery_15063_3635_67504.png

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifScrap10-Blinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#3 Karen Chandler

Karen Chandler

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm reading this book too. I like the short story format and so far, the stories have been interesting.

#4 Silly

Silly

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm organizing a book club in my condo and we meet tonight so this is a very timely post - TFS.
Silly
~ Namaste ~

My SG Gallery

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users