Ehd-My Computer Sees It But Wants To Format It

Art-C

I have a WD MyBook EHD that I've had for 3 years or so. "My Computer" sees the drive but won't read it. It asks me if I want to format the drive. Needless to say, I quit at that point. My tech looked at it and said I'd need someone who specializes in recovering or restoring the structure. Does anyone have any suggestions? I talked to a couple people and they said it could cost anywhere from $1,000 to $1,600 depending on how serious it was. YIKES! It's unplugged and sitting on the shelf right now but it has some important files I'd like to have copied over. I'd appreciate any advice you could share.

My daughter warned me not to depend on an EHD for backup because she says they're not dependable. I use mine to store photos and scrapbook stuff so I can use it on my laptop, but I also have it all on my desktop and backed up by Carbonite. It seems you can't be too cautious.

I have a WD MyBook EHD that I've had for 3 years or so. "My Computer" sees the drive but won't read it. It asks me if I want to format the drive. Needless to say, I quit at that point. My tech looked at it and said I'd need someone who specializes in recovering or restoring the structure. Does anyone have any suggestions? I talked to a couple people and they said it could cost anywhere from $1,000 to $1,600 depending on how serious it was. YIKES! It's unplugged and sitting on the shelf right now but it has some important files I'd like to have copied over. I'd appreciate any advice you could share.

One thing to try before you give up --

I was just having trouble with my EHD, and sometimes my PC recognized it and other times I got the "this drive needs to be formatted" error. So I tried resetting the drive (unplug from wall and leave for 10 minutes) and that helped for a week or two, and then it started again. I contacted Maxtor and they suggested trying another data cable (USB cable) and I did and it was FIXED! That was a week or so ago and it still is fine as can be.

So play with it a little bit before hanging it up for dead.

Good luck!

Wow! Thanks for the info. I'll definitely try a new cable. It's already unplugged. I have most of the data backed up but wouldn't you know, I had just archived some of the 2008 photos (about 1/3 of them) from my HD to the EHD and hadn't had a chance to back them up yet. I've also just upgraded my existing hard drive so I have more room for digi kits and photos. I read where there isn't a space limit on Carbonite--just an annual fee. Hopefully I can get the EHD going again and the FIRST thing I'll do is copy them back to my HD and get Carbonite.

I know better...it just caught me off guard. One of those "Laws of the Universe"! Thank you for your response. I'll try it tonight if I can locate another cable.

When one of my EHD's (also a MyBook)decided to act funny and asked to be re-formatted, I tried to connect it to another PC.

It worked!!!

Of course, I quickly copied all the files to another hard drive and I'm not using that particular MyBook anymore... :disappearing-smilie:

Thanks, but I tried that. My husband just got a new laptop so I'll give that one a try just in case the new laptop likes the EHD. I'm looking for another cable like the original and hope that works.

Thanks for you suggestion. I'll try it again.

Bonnie, good luck! I recently had a EHD crash and know that feeling all to well. I hope you are able to get your files recovered. My EHD wasn't being recognized by the main PC either, but a friends father (IT guy) took a look at it and was able to get it working long enough to get my files off of it. I hope you have the same result! My fingers are crossed for you.

Gee...I tried a new cable and hooked it up to my husband's new laptop hoping it would make a connection but without any success.

Thanks for your suggestions. Who knows what little thing it might take to wake it up and recover some files. I do appreciate your ideas.

Archived