Attention All Camera Lovers

SandiC.

been waiting for this announcement and now its official, the Canon 7D is available for preorder from Amazon. This sounds like a fabulous camera! Its a new line, not an upgrade on an existing line. Roughly comparable to the Canon 5D markII, but a little less. I told myself it would be at least 5 years before I upgraded, unless my current camera is broken or something, but this is so tempting. but pricey and I don't really have the spare change right now. But I would love to hear who else iis lusting for a new camera like this.

Are you trying to get me in trouble?!?!? It was my birthday yesterday and I didn't get my lens that I was hoping for ... decided we didn't really need it afterall. Now you've put this idea into my head ... you are out to stir up trouble aren't you?!??! LOL

Isn't it fun when new toys come out on the market. I just want to play :)

I'm a Nikon girl and upgraded from the D40x to the D80 earlier this year. I am happy with the D80, but wish it would handle higher ISOs a little better. I recently purchased a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 lens and love it. I got it used, but it's in awesome shape and I'm loving it for portraits and everyday use. I would like to upgrade to the D300 (or D90 since it is very similar to the D300, but cheaper), but am trying to hold off until I outgrow the D80 and maybe by then I'll just skip over the D90/D300 and go right to the D700..hehe!

7D has ISO to 6400 I think. Way more than I've ever used. And I knew I'd get a response out of you Carole. So far this just has me drooling all over myself and there's no way I can put big $$$ forward for a new toy now, but.....oh, it looks so good. But since its a first in a new line, I want to wait until the new and improved upgrade will be released in a year or two. Then I may (repeat, may...) have saved up enough for this. Someday I'll need a new car and I think a car before a camera. Its that need vs. want thingy. I sometimes hate being mature and responsible. But at least we can drool together. LOL.

My Olympus E20 seems to on the fritz - and I have a birthday coming up too. Funds are tight, but maybe DH is thinking surprise????? It sure would be nice but not in the budget right now.

I'll live vicariously through the rest of you for now.

i also saw this today sandi and started reading about it...i have been thinking about upgrading my canon 30 D but was waiting cause i knew canon was going to come up with something to compete with nikon... i love the idea of the hi iso in case you need it and the video would be great fun to use with dgs and family events.... they say it is a very good video ... also i dont have live view in my camera and i would like that...the mulitple focus points could be helpful too...all in all it sounds really good...i will continue to look to find out more, read reviews...and think about if i can spend the dough .... in any case dreaming is fun ..will let you know what happens... but it may not be for months .... my birthday is november..

I talked to Debbie Layden last night and she said she's going to have one to test drive in about 2 weeks. Can't wait to hear what she has to say. rumor has it that at first Canon was going to call this a 60D, but from what I read, its an entirely new line of mid level DLSRs. I'm sticking with my XSi for now, but will be watching and saving and watching, and drooling...... the 19 point focus is really interesting. The video is nice too. Back to home movies. I've heard the nice thing about the DSLRs that do videos is the people don't know you're shooting video, they just think its a photo and so they talk and act more naturally, thus better videos. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I also want this camera really bad! I want it so bad that I can feel it in my hand with my finger on the shutter release! I really want the 70-200 f/2.8 L lens too. Things are pretty tight for us financially right now too....but the dreams I have of owning this camera are so vivid they seem real!

Ooooooooo Sandi! Why didn't you mention this last night in the chat? I've been staying off of P.O.T.N. so I wouldn't hear about any new cameras or lenses. YIKES. I've got my 5D I'm totally happy with it! NOPE don't NEED a new camera.............NOT gonna LOOK!!!..................NOPE................Even got an XT for backup...........NOPE ...............................WELL, OKAY, maybe just a peek? :disappearing-smilie:

Just got my xsi with 2 lens and new bag and I am done for a while ok I need really bad a few lens but other than that I am a happy camper even thou my daughter had the chance when I got this one to get any camera we would want LOL so I am sticking with this one till I hit the lottery!!

I got the email from amazon, its available for prepurchase. I had the pen hovering over the buy now with one click button, but reason prevailed. That's a big old pile of cash to buy that baby. I just cannot even begin to rationalize buying it right now. My current camera is now limited by my ability to use it and I am in mo way limited by the capability of my camera. No justification other than I want it. Deep breath, I cannot buy everything I want. I do not need a new camera. Its brand new, let them work out the kinks and see what they come up with in the next year or two. Keep working on my photography skills and learn to use my current camera to its full capabilities. That's a little of my inner dialog as I debate. My rational, adult self makes sense, but the enthusiastic hobiest photographer that I am and the inner child says I want, I want, I want.....

I got the email from amazon, its available for prepurchase. I had the pen hovering over the buy now with one click button, but reason prevailed. That's a big old pile of cash to buy that baby. I just cannot even begin to rationalize buying it right now. My current camera is now limited by my ability to use it and I am in mo way limited by the capability of my camera. No justification other than I want it. Deep breath, I cannot buy everything I want. I do not need a new camera. Its brand new, let them work out the kinks and see what they come up with in the next year or two. Keep working on my photography skills and learn to use my current camera to its full capabilities. That's a little of my inner dialog as I debate. My rational, adult self makes sense, but the enthusiastic hobiest photographer that I am and the inner child says I want, I want, I want.....

I think we have the same camera Sandi I completely agree I cannont get everything I want or "NEED WANT" but you put this perfectly We need to do everything here and then we lol can get a new camera LOL

That's right Caren! I am anxious to see how it does after its been in general use for awhile. I'll watch the reviews and in the meantime, save a little each month. I'd rather have a new camera than designer bags and shoes and new clothes. What a nerd I am! LOL.

Hee Hee Sandi we can be geeks we don't need the fancy shoes and designers purses we are behind the camera not infront of it!! LOLOLOL!!

I have neither fancy purses or clothes or shoes Sad I know

I am nowhere near the camera-sphere you girls are in, but I must say I have to adopt your reasoning. I would love a new camera too (I'm looking at the Canon, oh goodness, what is it, the new T1i - the one that takes HD movie clips)but I have absolutely no need for it. Not until I have exhausted all the features that my S5 IS has. When I'm consistently taking excellent photographs with it and am limited by it's available aperture settings, etc...then I can seriously begin to think of a new camera. And by that time, who knows what Canon will have? Or what I might be able to afford!

Incidentally, I don't have designer bags, shoes, nor clothes either! But I do have two cameras I adore and two state of the art computers! I am a total geek. This close to retirement, a house and an IRA is about as stylish as I can get.

None of you ladies sound like geeks to me. :)

(of course, I do all my clothes shopping at Sams Club)

Sandi, I like your philosophy of letting it be on the market a while so they can work out the kinks. It sure sounds like a great camera! Oh how I would love that ISO with indoor sports shots!

Sandi you are being very wise and sensible!! :disappearing-smilie: But I wonder how that new camera would go over here in NZ with all this scenery!!!! :joke:

Hey Ngaire I had bought the new T1i it took fabulous photos I didn't have it to long I took it back the camera is huge in my hands (after using a P&S for all my years LOL and the xsi was such a better deal at Costco so the camera of my dreams went back, I am not disipointed at all thou. not one bit I have no real need for HD anything, I am a learner LOL the extra pixels would have been great but I would have had to spend another 400 bucks a new case at you gotta have more than 1 lens LOL so I opt and happy with my.

I bet the scenery would be fabulous in NZ Ngaire OMG!! I can only imagine what photos could be taken over there !! Ok make me a tad jealous LOL <wink>

Susan I shop at thrift stores for most to all my jeans ( 5.00 jeans work well for me vs 30-50 dollar ones..lol) and Costco and Sams for my Capris for summer, T-shirts well they come everwhere LOL I have maybe 1 dress please don't ask where I bought it is as old as me I think LOL

In the last post, Caren said, "I am a learner."

Caren, this is such a profound statement! We get the "next" camera because it can teach us something. If we do not have a camera that challenges us, how can we become "learners?"

I think in some way you have just justified my next camera purchase! Thanks!

BTW, I've measured my hands against Caren's, and she does indeed have very small hands. And she is wise to have a camera that will fit into her hands easily. I have heard Sandi say this as well. And I will certainly keep that wise advice in mind when I go shopping for a new camera.

In the last post, Caren said, "I am a learner."

Caren, this is such a profound statement! We get the "next" camera because it can teach us something. If we do not have a camera that challenges us, how can we become "learners?"

I think in some way you have just justified my next camera purchase! Thanks!

BTW, I've measured my hands against Caren's, and she does indeed have very small hands. And she is wise to have a camera that will fit into her hands easily. I have heard Sandi say this as well. And I will certainly keep that wise advice in mind when I go shopping for a new camera.

Yea!! You go Sarah!!! Go find a Fabulous camera and look look look till you buy the right one!! Can't wait till you tell me you got it!!!

On a serious note....we are all learners. And in order to learn we need challenges. and a new camera can certainly be that. I'm still a learner with the camera I have. And i do know what Caren means about how the camera feels in your hands. My Xsi fits just right. I feel very comfortable handling it. Its not too heavy. I guess sometimes we give up one feature to get another. I still don't know all of what my camera can do, though I have learned a lot this last year. Someday I'll move up, but not now. Drat, I sure do want to.

Archived