Help With Name Tags

disneymom

I just got assigned to make name tags for our family reunion. I thought I could do it in MS Word quick and easy, but the templates aren't letting me do what I need (they want the name of the original family member on top so we can see who belongs to whom and then the name of the person in large letters in the middle with the reunion name on the bottom and then everything color coordinated by family). I was trying to use the Name Tag template in word, but it would only let me write the one name in the center.

Does scrapgirls have a template I could use? Is there a better template in word? I have PSE 3.0, and I have to do this today because we are supposed to leave tomorrow.

HELP!!

Robin,

I am not familiar with PSE but I think if you open up PSE and make a layout the size of say 250pixels by 500 pixels and then use the fonts you want you can make your own. You can also add elements you want to use and use the colors you like.

I'm also gonna bump this up so that others who see can help.

In MSWord, are you trying to set this up using the Mail-Merge function? That's the easiest way to put multiple lines on a tag, even if you're typing them one at a time. If you already have the family name and first name in columns in a spreadsheet, you can do a mail-merge, and design it to include the reunion name on all of them.

The help for Mail-Merge is pretty thorough, but don't skip steps--or it won't work. Hope this helps.

What kind of name tags are you doing? I am thinking of those sticker sheets that you can run through your printer. If so any Avrey brand printer paper (I think they have name tag or at least mailing label stickers) has templates on their website. They have templates for word and PS/PSE. This would give you the outline so that you could do a quick 'LO' and duplicate it for each sticker. No cutting this way just peel and stick :D. If I were making them in PSE I would draw a rectangle in the necessary color with the shapes tool. This would be easy to do a quick color change for the next family group. Then you could just type the names where you want them. Copy and paste to the other spots, changing the names as needed and print. Then edit and print. Simple, fast, easy. Probably, just as simple in Word. HTH!

I always did name tags in printshop because you can import lists and have it put all the names on your list on the tags. I use avery sticker sheets too, and all the templates are already in printshop. And honestly, I still have Word Perfect installed because you can do labels really easily in there too. You can make them prettier in printshop though.

Avery label size 5163 works great for name tags. It's a 2x4 inch shipping label with plenty of space for the information you want to include. If you have MS Word you can do the mail merge Barbara has suggested, if you have your list in an Excel file and have an intermediate level of understanding of Word. If you have Word but no Excel list you can cheat with mail merge by starting it, following the instructions up to choosing your label size. Once you've chosen your label size, close mail merge and you'll be left with a template that you can type in. :)

I hope that makes sense. I do it all the time but that doesn't mean I can describe it well. :D

Janine is right, and you can even manage to NOT type them by hand with just MSWord. If the data is in an MSWord table, make sure there is nothing else in the document with the table, and save it. When you get to the step for selecting a data source, choose the Word document with the table. Word functions just fine with another Word document as the data for a mail-merge!

Archived