Creative Memories Storey Book Creator

Lyn Ingram

Lyn, I've only seen this demonstrated in a home party, so I don't have first-hand knowledge with the program. But my thoughts are this - it looks like a fantastic program for people who want to keep it simple and scrap a lot of photos quickly (and it keeps in line with the CM philosophy of being "caught up" with your scrapbooking). Honestly, I was impressed with what I saw. However, I don't think it would apply to people who are jumping on to a message board like this. And my reason for thinking that is because while it provides a great framework, it wouldn't allow you to grow after a certain point. You will have much more flexibility with PSP, and it will grow with you. After reading about what others are doing on this board, you would probably feel limited. So unless you're feeling totally lost with PSP, I wouldn't think the extra purchase would be the way to go.

Just my thoughts. ;)

I've got quite a bit of experience with the free version of the CM Storybook Creator software. Which means I had the ability to use their page templates and just drag and drop my photos into place and add my journaling. (One of the options is to upload a .jpg file to cover the entire page, so I'd create my layouts in Photoshop using Scrap Girls supplies, save the layout as a .jpg and upload it as if it were a picture taking up the whole page. Tedious but it was the way I could work around the limited creativity you have with Storybook Creator.) Then I uploaded my completed book through the CM Photo Center and ordered my hard cover story books (I understand you can also order your layouts as just page prints now if you don't want them in a book.) The version of the software that you can purchase gives you more flexibility as far as placement of photos and embellishments go. I think you can purchase coordinating kits for extra money (and I'm pretty sure they're much smaller kits for the same price or more expensive than the collections you can get here at SG) I believe the kits can only be used in Storybook Creator so you can't buy them and use them in Photoshop or PSP or anything else. Likewise I don't think there's an easy way to use your own digiscrapping supplies in their software (but I could be misinformed on that).

If what you're wanting is something predesigned for you and is quick and easy then the Storybook Creator is a nice, relatively user friendly program to use. It's very strictly for use with CM Photo Center, which produces beautiful products but some of the most expensive on the market, so take that into consideration. You can't create with it and then have your stuff printed somewhere else for cheaper. I really think for the flexibility alone, I'd recommend sticking with learning your PSP program :)

I saw it at craft group just today!

It looks to me to be suitable for people who just want to put elements and photos on the page and move on.

If you like the art of creating, you'll find yourself limited quite quickly.

Try out the free version first.

Personally, I'd say if you've got anything else already to stick with that.

PSP is a wonderful graphics program that can do so much more than just create scrapbook pages. Just the photo editing and correcting, being able to recolor anything so it coordinates with your layout to adding realistic drop shadows, cut outs and so much more. Youi will find as your skills and understanding of the program grows you will continue to do more advanced things with PSP.

• 11 months later...

I own both pse and cm storybook 3. I use the storybook for when I want to finish and be done. It is quick and you can customize colors of elements to match photos, etc. I am able to use all png files and jpegs that I have from sources other than cm. It is a fairly simple program to master and be on your way. So far, I've found I can only use the templates from CM, not those that I have from other programs. This is frustrating to me as the majority of their templates are basically drop in photos and go with the predesigned page. I am still learning, so their may be other ways to use these, I just haven't gotten there yet.

As for PSE, it is a lot more intimidating to me BUT I still find it more of a creative outlet. I think that although there is a larger learning curve, I'm probably going to use this program the most.

Anyway, that is my two cents for the question :waving-hi:

Archived