Files On Internal Hd Vs. External Hd

jkjundt

I'm curious how you decide what to put on your external hard drive versus keeping on the internal hard drive. I'm sure access to the internal hard drive is slightly faster so do you keep you scrapbook element/papers/etc. on the internal hard drive since you may be looking at those quite often? Do you store your layouts with your pictures or in a separate location? Are they on your internal hard drive or your external hard drive.

Hi, Julie.

I keep everything on my internal hard drive and use my external drive for a backup. I have a desktop with a 462 G hard drive. Right now it is about half full. After I download my zip files and extract to my internal drive, I move the zip files to my backup external drive. I also back up my photos and psd files to the external about once a week.

For the convention, I am getting a new 1 Terrabyte external to bring with my laptop. I plan to copy all my photos and scrapbook files from my internal HD to the new Terrabyte drive so I will have them at the convention.

I hope this helps. :)

Everything I have is on my ehd for scrapping , I keep absolutely nothing on my internal except for the new photos I just took and have not transferred yet to EHD I keep all my actions styles everything on my EHD, CS runs like a dream with everything freeded up on my internal hd. I probably will never put nothing on my desk top or lap top for scrapping anymore. If I want a action or style I open a folder and get it and when I see there is too much on my CS I delete them almost immediately.

Of course I back it all up and stuff but I even have learned that I keep my history at 9 and my and cache at 5. I have a 500 gig internal with 5 gigs of memory on my desk top with iolo systemics running in the background for keeping my memory and computer cleaned up and stuff refuse to put anything on it

I keep all my scrapbook stuff on my internal hard drive, and copy it to my external drive. Then when I want to use the laptop, like at Convention, I just use it off the external drive. I have a lot of photos on both of them, but eventually the photos get put on CD's or DVD's.

I keep all my scrapbooking files on an internal harddrive. I have one (750G) just for my scrapbooking supplies and layouts. I back them up on two different external harddrives and use one of them with my laptop. You're right, the advantage of having your files on an internal drive is that your computer can usually access them faster. It does depend on the speed of the drives.

I keep everything on my internal and back up to an external hard drive and pages and pictures on external and Discs( the expensive ones archival quality I think they are called) But I use my labtop exclusivly but I don't do much except scrapbook I have some other files but not many and they are small.

We use Mozy for backup (because when we needed the service, they were the only ones who backed up EHDs, too - maybe Carbonite does this now?). So it's just a simplicity thing for me. I have all the family photos and all scrapbooking items on the EHD - partly because these are memory hogs and the EHD has more memory that our internal HD, and partly for the sake of portability.

So for me it's just an organizational issue. I don't find there to be a speed difference. :)

i always tell people they shouldnt worry about keeping scrapbooking type things on an external (worrying about the speed thing anyway), they do fine. i never notice any difference when im pulling from my externals vs my internals.

i have 3 TBs worth of internals that are my working files.

a 500G for my c drive.

a 1 TB backup currently. (internal)

a 500G and 750G for misc. (external)

my set up is a little large/complicated though considering what i do. (no "normal" person would ever need to go that far). of course no ones ever accused me of being normal! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

i always tell people they shouldnt worry about keeping scrapbooking type things on an external (worrying about the speed thing anyway), they do fine. i never notice any difference when im pulling from my externals vs my internals.

a 500G for my c drive.

my set up is a little large/complicated though considering what i do. (no "normal" person would ever need to go that far). of course no ones ever accused me of being normal! ;)

I just bought an EHD today. It is a 250GB WD. If I transfer all of my scrapbook files to it, how will ACDSee access it when I open up the program?

a 500G for my c drive.

I just bought an EHD today. It is a 250GB WD. If I transfer all of my scrapbook files to it, how will ACDSee access it when I open up the program?

If you transfer your files to your EHD in ACDSee, it should be able to find all of your files as long as your EHD is always connected to your computer via a USB or whatever cable it comes with. It won't be able to find them if you copy and paste outside of the program; you will lose all your tags.

a 500G for my c drive.

If you transfer your files to your EHD in ACDSee, it should be able to find all of your files as long as your EHD is always connected to your computer via a USB or whatever cable it comes with. It won't be able to find them if you copy and paste outside of the program; you will lose all your tags.

Do I have to move them or can I just copy to another folder from within ACDSee. I'm afraid of moving everything and then having nothing on internal and having ehd crash!

I would totally back up your files on DVD, too. (I burn everything to DVD and save it to two EHD's after the "incident" of 2006 -- I won't speak of it here! :) )

Hmmmm...I thought you wanted to use your EHD just for your scrapping supplies. If you want to use it as a back-up, then I think you can just copy them to the EHD and provided you do it in ACDSee, your tags should be moved/recognized, as well. It's been awhile since I used ACDSee, since I've switched to WPG, but I remember reading somewhere on the MB that you can backup your ACDSee database. If you can't find it, you might try to google it.

Sorry I can't be more help -- hopefully an ACDSee pro will be along soon!

I have Carbonite backup on my desktop so I keep my photos on the internal drive and put my scrapbooking things on my EHD. I have the Zip files from Scrap Girls backed up to DVDs and I backup my layouts (on the EHD) to DVD a few times a year. I'm thinking about getting another EHD to back up my current EHD, just as another measure of safety.

I have all my current photos and a lot of old ones on my desktop, and all my scrapbooking stuff as well. Then I back it all up on an EHD. Eventually I will need to get another EHD and have one for photos and one for scrapbooking stuff. I also back up with Carbonite and copy older photos to DVD's.

Archived