Is There Anyone In Germany?

WendyTN

I was just wondering if there were any Scrap Girls out there in Germany that might be willing to send us a few pictures for my 3rd graders special project. He had to choose a country and he chose Germany since my husband went there for work last year. Luckily, my parents also visited there and are sending us some pictures. The problem we have is most of the internet pictures are low resolution and of course I don't want to use them without permission.

If someone could help us, it would be great, however, I don't want you going to any extra trouble. I thought if anyone would have some great pictures, another ScrapGirl would!

We need pictures of traditional dress. My husband did have some of waitresses in traditional dress, however, the pictures also included alot of adult beverages...not good for a 3rd project...LOL!!!

Also, pictures of traditional food. He loves the online pictures of stollen, and we may try to make one.

Finally, pictures of the language (maybe a sign?) and also customs / manners in the country. I'm kind of stuck on this one.

This is pretty hard for him....so I'm hoping to get him started soon. It is due on Friday 9/18.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Wendy

Hey Wendy. I am not German, so I only know myself what I have learned over the years about Germany. I have two suggestions, look at the online encyclopedia 'wikipedia' and type in Germany. You will find out alot. Also go to stock.xchng where you type in Germany and you will find a lot of pictures. A lot of photos can be downloaded and if you read the TOU they are pretty much ok for a kid's school project I guess. If you type in oktoberfest there is a photo of a boy in trafitional Bavarian dress, I don't have photos of what you are looking for, so I am of no help there, neither am I concerning food photos. Stollen is a traditional Christmas cake. The traditional dresses depend from one part of Germany to another. If your husband has been in München, it is very different from the rest of Germany. I can translate some words for you that your boy would love to have in his presentation. Also, don't hesitate to ask if you have some other questions. HTH :)

Thanks for the great suggestions.....I was looking for a website with free stock photos....it seems like most of them are royalty free...AFTER you buy them for $100! LOL! I've found some good pictures on there for him to use. Once we printed out some photos he is getting pretty interested in it..and he is learned some paper scrapbooking skills. :-) SHHHH. He and I are going through wikipedia tonight...I love that website!

Hey, Caroline. Thanks for offering to help translate a few words....would you mind doing:

Hello

Goodbye

Please

Thank You

We really appreciate all the help. I saw you are in Luxemborg....I've always wanted to visit there!

I love so many of your kits also!

Thanks!

Wendy

I was just wondering if there were any Scrap Girls out there in Germany that might be willing to send us a few pictures for my 3rd graders special project. He had to choose a country and he chose Germany since my husband went there for work last year. Luckily, my parents also visited there and are sending us some pictures. The problem we have is most of the internet pictures are low resolution and of course I don't want to use them without permission.

If someone could help us, it would be great, however, I don't want you going to any extra trouble. I thought if anyone would have some great pictures, another ScrapGirl would!

We need pictures of traditional dress. My husband did have some of waitresses in traditional dress, however, the pictures also included alot of adult beverages...not good for a 3rd project...LOL!!!

Also, pictures of traditional food. He loves the online pictures of stollen, and we may try to make one.

Finally, pictures of the language (maybe a sign?) and also customs / manners in the country. I'm kind of stuck on this one.

This is pretty hard for him....so I'm hoping to get him started soon. It is due on Friday 9/18.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Wendy

I visited my son who is stationed there in the Army last year and I have about 1,000 pictures. We were in Weisbaden, Koln, Heidelberg, and Mainz ~ what kind of pictures are you looking for? If you PM me your email address, I'd be happy to send you a bunch via You Send It. They are full-res. :)

Thanks for the great suggestions.....I was looking for a website with free stock photos....it seems like most of them are royalty free...AFTER you buy them for $100! LOL! I've found some good pictures on there for him to use. Once we printed out some photos he is getting pretty interested in it..and he is learned some paper scrapbooking skills. :-) SHHHH. He and I are going through wikipedia tonight...I love that website!

For great quality, free images go to Stock Exchange at www.sxc.hu The images that show up at the top of your search are from iStock photo (they are called 'premium results" - ignore them)but the rest are free and 90% require no permission for use. As Caroline (Peppi) says, they're perfect for school projects.

Hey, Caroline. Thanks for offering to help translate a few words....would you mind doing:

Hello

Goodbye

Please

Thank You

We really appreciate all the help. I saw you are in Luxemborg....I've always wanted to visit there!

I love so many of your kits also!

Thanks!

Wendy

:) no problem Wendy! I am glad to help. Thanks for your lovely comment about my kits too! Yeah, I am in Luxembourg, small but beautiful LOL

so the translation

Hello -> Hallo or Guten Tag which means literally 'Good Day' and is said very often when you meet people

Goodbye -> Auf Wiedersehen

Please -> Bitte

Thank You -> Danke

Hope this helps. Ah and Janine added the address for the free stock images www.sxc.hu

Hi Wendy,

I had a quick look at my digital Germany-pics and there is a lot beer and wine in them...

I've got tons of scenery-photos and castles, but not any with traditional dress without the alcohol!

My in-laws travel to Germany at least twice every year and I store their digi-pics too, but lots of beer in those too...

Combined with the fact that my mother-in-law is not the most steady photographer...

Glad that Caroline got the translations done for you!

If you need anything else, just give me or Caroline a holler!

The German I was taught in school still works!

Everyone has been so helpful....I hope I can repay the favor sometime! I have one more question...can someone translate this sign:

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/745624

My son loves this picture for some reason, but I thought I should know what it says before it he puts it on his display. I hope we can get it totally done tonight!

Everyone has been so helpful....I hope I can repay the favor sometime! I have one more question...can someone translate this sign:

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/745624

My son loves this picture for some reason, but I thought I should know what it says before it he puts it on his display. I hope we can get it totally done tonight!

I think that "Schleife" means Loop ~ so I'm guessing that it's the name of some kind of road or traffic circle (but that's a guess). Hopefully one of the German speakers will be along soon! Good luck on the project!

It's a sign which is positioned in the entrance of a village, city ... with the name and the region. You will find it on wikipedia when you look up 'Schleife'. That's the name of the municipality. 'Slepo' in their dialekt. 'Niederschlesischer Lausitzkreis' the region in Eastern Germany. Schleife literally means loop, but will more commonly speaking be a bow or a curve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wendy,

I had a quick look at my digital Germany-pics and there is a lot beer and wine in them...

I've got tons of scenery-photos and castles, but not any with traditional dress without the alcohol!

My in-laws travel to Germany at least twice every year and I store their digi-pics too, but lots of beer in those too...

Combined with the fact that my mother-in-law is not the most steady photographer...

Glad that Caroline got the translations done for you!

If you need anything else, just give me or Caroline a holler!

The German I was taught in school still works!

The in-laws pictures are just like my DH's.....ha, ha!!

I wanted to thank everyone so much for your help! My son's project turned out great and I think he learned alot....about Germany and also about making a poster. He laid it all out, glued it down, then noticed he forgot one. We peeled them all off and he did it again. I felt bad for him, but I guess that is part of the learning process. He was very proud of his project and was the only one in his class that did Germany.

Again, thank you so much!

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

Archived