Converting To Pdf For Printing

mommytutu

Hello! Does anyone convert to PDF for printing their layouts? If so what program do you use and any tips? I'm trying to print via VioVio and that seems to be the only way around their very small upload limits. I'd like to avoid buying Acrobat, on a budget and trying to get things printed as economically as possible.

Thanks!

Most places that print will take .jpg files. That is the format that I've used for the layouts I've had printed by outside sources and I think that's what most do.

I think there are some freeware programs out there that will make .pdf's. I'd just Google for them.

More details...I specificially use PSE which will save individual PDF files, but I'm trying to print with VioVio that only allows 200MB uploads per year unless you upload all layouts for your book in one complete PDF file. I'm having a hard time finding freeware that will let you compile and oraganize multiple pages in one PDF and PSE only let's you do one page per PDF. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to shell out for Acrobat or an extended storage membership with VioVio if I want to use them. They have great reviews & prices but when you add on the extra it evens them out with the competition. Not to mention that their site is HORRIBLE to navigate and they give conflicting info all over the place.

At a loss...............

Really I always thought you can save in pse or cs a pdf. It should be a option in the menue when you click save as. I just reformatted my Pc today I am in the Urgggggh mood about adobe right now so as soon as I am being nice about Adobe I will check but each layout you create and save as a psd, flatten it and then try saving as a pdf.

I will try later

PSE will let you save each file as a PDF but I am looking for the extended capability of saving multiple jpeg files to one PDF file--go Adobe, seems only $200 for Acrobat will get me there :( Ugghhhh this is such an expensive hobby I can't imagine what it would cost to actually paper scrapbook!

I don't know where you are, but I save my layouts as .jpg files and have them printed at Costco. It's only $1.49 for an 8 x 8 and $2.99 for 12 x 12. I think the quality if beautiful. I have Adobe Professional and it will merge multiple .pdf files into one, but you're right, it costs extra for that program. Good luck!

I use a program by Serif that lets me compile many pages into one PDF and it's way less than Adobe. Also do you have Microsoft Publisher on your computer? That will do it too. The Serif called PagePlus and is a wonderful multi use editing program. And you have many pdf publishing options that are designed for professional printing.

I use a program by Serif that lets me compile many pages into one PDF and it's way less than Adobe. Also do you have Microsoft Publisher on your computer? That will do it too. The Serif called PagePlus and is a wonderful multi use editing program. And you have many pdf publishing options that are designed for professional printing.

Never heard of Microsoft publisher is it a bought program Dee? or does it come with a special version of windows?

And the serif page plus .....Ok Ok I don't venture to well out of my box what is this or where do we look at this?

Actually both would neat to look at

Thanks Dee in advanced!

Before you go to great lengths to set yourself up for printing at Viovio, I would make sure you have a few things printed there. I tried them for their 'loose pages' option, because of the price, and was very disappointed in the quality. The colors and quality did not even come close to having my pages printed at Sam's club.

I print my pages at 8x8 and now use www.ColorInc.com (a professional printing lab). Their 8x10s are only 99 cents (just have to trim them)

I don't know if PSE has the option, but PS has the option to create multi-page pdfs.

I also just recently downloaded Open Office, a free program, which will also create multipage pdfs.

HTH!!

Before you go to great lengths to set yourself up for printing at Viovio, I would make sure you have a few things printed there. I tried them for their 'loose pages' option, because of the price, and was very disappointed in the quality. The colors and quality did not even come close to having my pages printed at Sam's club.

I print my pages at 8x8 and now use www.ColorInc.com (a professional printing lab). Their 8x10s are only 99 cents (just have to trim them)

I don't know if PSE has the option, but PS has the option to create multi-page pdfs.

I also just recently downloaded Open Office, a free program, which will also create multipage pdfs.

HTH!!

Sams Costco and many more have book options and they are just great from what I seen from them. I personally have gotten many things printed at Costco for the 2.99 12x12 page and it looks fabulous I have recently just fell in love with the "regular scrap looking page layout look" and I go to a local printer who does a fabulous job in a moments notice I drop off or email the layout to him and he sends me a email when it is finished how cool is this!! So never ever stop your self from visiting a local printing shop in your neighboorhood. YOu will be suprised on how they can accomadated you in superior quality and be so happy to do so! Cheeply too!! You figure if you have say 40 layouts printed a year say for example wether in photo format looking layout or card stock looking format the local printer gets business that is quick easy and profitable for him/her. The will for the most part drop the price because you come in often and they will work with you. The guy I visit also allows me to brin in my paper that I wnat it printed on if I wish but usually he has such a wide variety of paper selection it is not worth me bring my paper to him! I have had layouts printed on honestly and truely ...tissue paper from this guy, to a hybrid layout on a canvas. it worked out fine and this guy is just amazed of the ideas I come up with to find new and differnt ways to showcase my "art" HA HA!!

Ok Ok I am rattling off here, Opps I need to add one more thing, In the event you don't want to purchase any more programs for PDF PSD Jpeg all on 1 file not a a big deal either, Go to a differnt book company and use them there is so many out there anymore and so many that do such a terrific job no matter what the cost is. The printing companies out the on the internet have sales all the time and no sense in wasting good hard earned money on more stuff if you don't need to. I am sure all the ladies here can hoook anyone up with their favorite book printing company out there in webland, that have sales and discount galore!!

If you want to do PDFs, though (and this is useful for documents and all sorts of files, not just pictures,) take a look at PDF995. It is a shareware program. It costs $9.95 to remove the slight delay and advertising, but works fine to start with in the free version. It does not have all the capabilities of Acrobat, such as rearranging multiple pages in a document, but it covers 98% of my needs.

Thanks for all the leads, in case you're wondering why I'm struggling with using Viovio--an 100 page 10x10 hardcover book is only going to cost about $55--that's just .55 per page! It's nearly half of what it costs to print that size book through Costco, Shutterfly, etc and per page it's about half of the cheapest option I have ever found for printing on photo paper not to mention the costs of albums and sheet protectors. The downside is their storage limits are so low if you want to upload jpegs but they offer unlimited storage if you upload all your files as one complete pdf. I plan on printing a test before I get too into it though, I think I'll try Open Office that was recommended or I'll download the trial version of Acrobat. If they do good work and nothing prints wacky with the pdf (I plan to flatten all layouts and save as jpeg, then import the files into pdf creating software, then arrange and save as one pdf), it would definitely be worth investing in some software if I had to. With two young children and a slight photography addiction :) I have thousands of pics to scrap--I'd love to see them in actual books finally! I too have had layouts printed on photo paper (personally love scrapbookpictures.com even printed a 24 x36 and it was gorgeous!)and realize that printing in this type of book is going to be of a different quality but I'm hoping I can get over it--$55 compared to $200 for the same amount of pages *ouch*

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

• 3 weeks later...

There's an open-source program called Scribus that's actually for laying out books and publications that will create multi-page pdf files. It's fairly simple to use, especially if all you're doing is dropping layouts into pages--though I seem to recall some file type/size issues but I did get around them fairly easily). At the very least, it's a free program with a lot of features and might be worth a shot.

Hello! Does anyone convert to PDF for printing their layouts? If so what program do you use and any tips? I'm trying to print via VioVio and that seems to be the only way around their very small upload limits. I'd like to avoid buying Acrobat, on a budget and trying to get things printed as economically as possible.

Thanks!

I recently printed a photobook with Viovio. I converted all pages to pdf format and the finished book was great. The pages were beautiful, nothing was lost in the conversion. I've also converted files to .pdf when sending files to a commercial sign printing outfit - same result. Pdf files never lost any clarity at any time.

Archived