Wow! Pse8 Already!

Jster025

Wow! I remember starting digi with PSE5 - it was brand new then, and a great program. I can't imagine all the capabilities PSE8 will have!

Maybe I need to take my old, decrepit PSE5 out back and... well... put it out of its misery, lol ;)

I kind of had a feeling it was coming down the pike. Somebody mentioned that it might be since some places have had 7 on sale for a really good price (like $49) lately. I don't know if there is a connection, but it got me to thinking along the lines of a new version. I'll have to see if Costco has it. That's where I bought 7 at a good discount. I'll have to see if it has enough new things to make it worth upgrading. I skipped over 6 and I may skip 8.

I just checked out a couple of reviews of 8. CNET UK says that 7 users probably won't want to bother upgrading. 8 has a couple of new features, but nothing that I'm going to run out to get. The good thing is that there is an 8 version for Mac users!

There are some changes...not a ton though. You can drag up to the desktop now and it won't make objects a smart object any longer. You can choose if you like the light/dark screen. Besides that there's a few other "fun" features that are now (to do with photos and/or organizer) But i'm not sure if there would be enough to make me want to upgrade from PSE 7 to 8...especially if you just got it.

I know Ro is downloading it now, i'm sure she'll let you know if there's any "must have" features on it

I've seen some videos on PSE 8 and besides fixing the Smart Object thing when dragging up from the photo bin, there's not an awful lot of new things. There is now a photo merge for exposure, and guides are now available. And another tool nested within the crop tool to change the orientation of a photo without distorting any of the details. There are also some known quirks - so I think I'll wait a while! I'm certainly not in any hurry because the news things that I would be interested in having are already available in PSP.

Too bad they don't have a "patch" or something to make PSE7 drag from the photo bin without being a smart object.

I'm still learning 7 though...after using 4 for years. No looking at/for PSE8 for me. lol

I am really glad to hear that you will be able to drag up from the photo bin again! Woohoo! That might make it worth upgrading. But - I plan to upgrade both my computers to Windows 7, so I won't have any money available for awhile.

I've watched some you tube videos that show a lot of the changes in action...I'm impressed. I started out using 5 then upgraded to 7 and then a month later (due to the frustrations I had with 7 and the great deal I got) upgraded to PSCS4. The interface is very similar to PSCS4 in that the panels are collapsible now and the garbage can as well as the link button are now on the bottom of the layers panel instead of on top. There is a feature in CS4 that is now available in PSE8, the reconstruct tool, allowing you to shrink the background of a photo without shrinking the people in the photo! Photomerge Panorama takes 2 exposures and move parts (like skies) from one photo to another. There are some other changes like the face recognition feature in the organizer (which operates similar to Bridge) that will "remember" faces and tag your photos! One thing I did notice is that there are only 2 options (light or dark) for the background color now instead of the slider feature in 7.

Again, I'm very impressed...don't know if I'm going to upgrade though...I'm still learning CS4. I think I'll wait to see what it's like to add actions and styles in 8. There was no mention of that in the videos I watched.

I've downloaded the trial. If I like, I might buy it. I've been using PSE 4.0. I have 6, but I just couldn't get used to the dark screen. And 4 has done everything I've asked it to do. I resisted going to 7 because it can't be that much better than 6, right?

Well I'll try 8 and see if I like it. Maybe I can crawl out of the dark ages and start using a more current version.

If you have CS4, just keep using it! CS4 is plenty! Yowzers. LOL

I've got it all downloaded and installed and am going to add a couple of PSE 8 specific movies to my current version. There are just a few minor interface changes so (thankfully) I won't need to do a completely overhaul.

The big change is how it manages open files. It is like CS4 that way and that takes some getting used to. (I still get bugged by all of the files sticking together. I'm constantly having to pull them apart. Oh well. LOL) At least, I'm very well acquainted with it and can give PSE 8 users some very helpful advice.

If you have a version like PSE 4, you should upgrade. If you have 6 or 7, I'm not so sure yet. I'll let you know what I think after I've had a chance to play with it more.

I thought smart objects were supposed to be a good thing?

Me too!!!!

They're supposed to let you resize something and not lose any clarity of the object while doing it.

But, when all I'm doing is resizing an alpha or bow...it's not like that little bit of resizing was going to make any difference. And then there's those extra little steps of having to simplify the object before you add styles to it. (I know, doesn't sound like extra work. lol) The only thing that I do like about the smart objects is that when you pulled them up from the photo bin...it brings the name of the item with it.

I have PSE 5 and am going to wait to hear about installing styles and such! PSE5 seems simple compared to what I've heard others having to deal with in 6 & 7! Love the new recompose feature, file names stays in layer, and adding guides! I'm waiting to hear from Ro!!

I watched some videos elsewhere about version 8 and didn't see anything that makes me want to upgrade. I'm still happily using version 5! I always drag up from the photo bin and the file names come along with the files. I don't use the organizer and don't feel the need for face recognition. The rest of the new features are cool tricks, but I wouldn't use them much.

I think I'm just going to keep using version 5 until I get skilled enough and have the money to move up to full Photoshop.

Archived