Pse8 For The Mac!

mrstucci

Yep, just found out that Adobe is going to be releasing PSE8 for the Mac the end of October (Windows users have it available to buy now). There is a rebate of $20 if you place an order between now and sometime in October-forget the date. It's $99. Amazon has it for $94.99 and free shipping. Here is some info on the Amazon site:

Product Features

Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 combines power and simplicity so you can easily go beyond the basics to tell great stories with your photos

Make your photos look extraordinary with easy-to-use editing options--whiten teeth, recompose photos, remove unwanted elements and more

Share your stories in beautiful, personalized print creations and on web galleries

Easily manage all your photos and video clips from one convenient place

Compatible with iPhoto

Special Offers and Product Promotions

Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)........

Not alot of details about the goodies. Will have to check around for a more detailed list. Just wanted to keep this group updated! Judy

Can you find a place that will give me a new Mac for free if I purchase PSE 8? I'd be willing to pay even $150 for PSE with that deal! LOL. My Mac is too old and HD/RAM not up to speed for the newer programs. So for now I'll plug away with PSE 4!!!! (OK, stop laughing ;) )

You are right about loading styles and actions-it is a pain for sure! I am able to do it every time but it's alot of steps. I much, much, much prefer to just drop the style/action into a folder! I wonder how it is for PSE8????? I don't think Adobe could make it any more complicated. Judy

I am looking forward to it too! I ordered my copy on Amazon and have the rebate just sitting on my computer, ready to fill out and mail in.

I found out that installing styles/actions is the same complicated routine as with PSE6........ bummer. Oh well. Judy

• 1 month later...

I have a new mac and the new PSE8. Not sure if it is me, the new mac (born and raised on a pc), or the program. I have not been able to get a single page done! I am very frustrated and about to go back to my pc....LOL I have not even a clue on how to get my styles into the system to use them.

Hi! Installing layer styles (asl suffix) and photo effects (atn suffix) in Photoshop Elements is not a straight forward task. Is that what you are talking about-accessing the asls and the atns you have.......??? I don't know how you installed them on your PC but Adobe seemed to make it very complicated for us Mac users. Here is how you do it on a Mac. Very important: make sure that you are in the hard drive, not your home folder-if you don't know how to tell one from the other, just ask me and I will tell you which one to access. Being a PC user you might not know........ Here are the directions for installing layer styles and photo effects:

First highlight the style and then go to Edit up on the Finder--->and click on Copy. If you have PSE open, close it.)

1. open up the Library that is in your hard drive-not the Library on your Home Folder (icon of a house).

2. Go to Application Support

3. Choose Adobe

4. Go down to Photoshop Elements

5. Click on the folder 8.0

6. Next click on the folder Locale

7. Then en_US

8. Click on Photo Creations

9. Then layer styles

10. And then paste the new style into the list of styles

You are not quite done yet.......

Next go back to where you see the Photo Creations folder and above that is a file called MediaDatabase.db3. Highlight that file and then add the word OLD to it-so now it should read MediadatabaseOLD.db3. Then open up PSE-it will rebuild the contents so it may take awhile. Any time you add a style, this is the procedure you need to do. When you go to install another style, you can delete the file, MediadatabaseOLD.db3 and rename the file above that (the one without the OLD in it) with the OLD. It is now the one you are replacing with a new database. Hope that makes sense!!

To install photo effects is basically the same and I will send those instructions once you have the styles installed. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarification! Judy

That's a crazy lot of steps that don't make any sense to me yet! Wow! I hope CS4 is easier. I am using PSE6 on my mac now and I'm not loving it. Its better than nothing and I can do basic stuff ok. Last night it hung up on me and I had to shut down and do a force quit on it. Of course I lost what hadn't been saved, but it was frustrating. I hope PSE8 is better for you all.

Debbie, facebook has a macbook pro giveaway just about every week. I know its a longshot, but enter that for a chance of a new macbook. Even after buying mine, I keep entering. I know at least one or two of my sons or DILs would love one too. Good luck!

OMG, I was thinking that getting a MAC laptop was the way to go, I'm not sure I am thinking that is the best way to go anymore with all this information! What do all the MAC users use for their photo editing LO creating, program if it is not PSE??

It is a lot of steps but I love my Mac and PSE works for me so I go through all that to install styles and such. Other Mac people use the full Photoshop and Creative Suite (not sure if that is the correct name for the latter) but the cost of those are prohibitive. Any help anyone needs for installing their layer styles, etc., just ask! Please. Don't give up. Judy

Just another comment-how do PC users install layer styles, etc. in Elements for the PC? Is it so complicated? If it's not as complicated, I wonder why the Mac version has so many steps to it??? Judy

I use PSE 5 and I understand that it isn't as easy in the later versions. My path...

C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\5.0\Photo Creations\Special effects\Layer styles

Hi! Installing layer styles (asl suffix) and photo effects (atn suffix) in Photoshop Elements is not a straight forward task. Is that what you are talking about-accessing the asls and the atns you have.......??? I don't know how you installed them on your PC but Adobe seemed to make it very complicated for us Mac users. Here is how you do it on a Mac. Very important: make sure that you are in the hard drive, not your home folder-if you don't know how to tell one from the other, just ask me and I will tell you which one to access. Being a PC user you might not know........ Here are the directions for installing layer styles and photo effects:

First highlight the style and then go to Edit up on the Finder--->and click on Copy. If you have PSE open, close it.)

1. open up the Library that is in your hard drive-not the Library on your Home Folder (icon of a house).

3. Choose Adobe

5. Click on the folder 8.0

7. Then en_US

9. Then layer styles

Next go back to where you see the Photo Creations folder and above that is a file called MediaDatabase.db3. Highlight that file and then add the word OLD to it-so now it should read MediadatabaseOLD.db3. Then open up PSE-it will rebuild the contents so it may take awhile. Any time you add a style, this is the procedure you need to do. When you go to install another style, you can delete the file, MediadatabaseOLD.db3 and rename the file above that (the one without the OLD in it) with the OLD. It is now the one you are replacing with a new database. Hope that makes sense!!

To install photo effects is basically the same and I will send those instructions once you have the styles installed. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarification! Judy

Thanks for the clear instructions on adding styles in PSE 8 for the MAC. It works perfectly with only one problem. When I open PSE 8 my new styles can be found easily under "select all." The problem is that I now have duplicates of every other style. (The original ones included with PSE 8, plus any I had added(. I deleted all the duplicates, downloaded more new styles, installed them with your clear directions, re-opened PSE 8, and AGAIN, all the PSE styles were duplicated. Any idea why?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the clear instructions on adding styles in PSE 8 for the MAC. It works perfectly with only one problem. When I open PSE 8 my new styles can be found easily under "select all." The problem is that I now have duplicates of every other style. (The original ones included with PSE 8, plus any I had added(. I deleted all the duplicates, downloaded more new styles, installed them with your clear directions, re-opened PSE 8, and AGAIN, all the PSE styles were duplicated. Any idea why?

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem.... I am so frustrated.

I am frustrated too! I have so many styles and such installed that with the duplicates, it's a long list to go through! Nothing seems to work to fix this issue. Not sure if Adobe is picking up on this or not. I did post a query about this issue on the Adobe PSE forum and got a few suggestions on how to fix it but none worked. And, I think for me, it's only the styles that came with PSE, not the ones I purchased and installed. Judy

For those of you having duplicate styles show up, I am wondering if you have tried rebuilding the Thumbsdatabase and the Mediadatabase?? When I was using PSE, I would always do both. At some point, someone came along and said that it worked to only do the Mediadatabase, bur I think the thumbs one is what refreshes the 'thumbnails' you see in PSE.

I don't have a Mac, but here is where I find the thumbsdatabase in a PC/XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0" The file is called 'ThumbDatabase.db3' - you could search for where it is on your system. Find it and rename it to something like 'xxThumbDatabase.db3'

Do the same thing for 'MediaDatabase.db3' and then restart PSE.

Also, within PSE, you can right click on a styles thumbnail and select 'delete content'. This removes the thumbnail, but does not do anything to the actual files.

HTH!!

I tried PSE8 with my Mac and had to get rid of it! Every time I would "Duplicate" a photo or a layer or anything, it would crash. I tried everything I knew of and Mac also tried to help but with no luck, so I went back to PSE6. I'm not loving it because you can only do so much with the program. I really want CS4, but right now its too pricey for me, so I'm saving up for it. So, in the meantime, I'm plugging along with 6. I actually had to delete the old 'Thumb" for the metadata for my styles. Once I did that, it rebuilt the folder and all my styles and actions showed up just fine. I was really nervous about deleting it, so I move the "Thumb" outside of the PSE folder before I deleted it. But, I would look into it before you do it, just in case I did something I shouldn't have. I will certainly let you know if I find any problems at all with it. So, far its been 2 weeks and not a problem yet!

Sorry to hear about PSE8 crashing so much. I know how annoying that is!! And so not worth it. The only time I have had trouble with PSE crashing was when I used Bridge. I don't use it and have had no crashes. I have 4G of RAM and know that even PSE is a memory hog-would like to replace it with a total of 8G but it's too pricey so I will wait till the prices come down. I was wondering-when you mentioned you deleted the "Thumb", was that in PSE6 or PSE8? I did delete both the meta and the thumb databases and still have duplicates-they show up fine but in multiples! Ugh. Judy

It was in 6. After you deleted it, when you restarted your program, did it say it was rebuilding the database? When that shows up I know I've done it right. Does that make sense? Also, I found other metatdatas in other spots than in my styles.I found one when I opened up the folder for PSE6 once too. I hope this helps

I would do like Christy said in her post above. Try seaching for the file, it could be somewhere else like mine was. Good Luck

Oh, yes it said it was rebuilding the database but unfortunately it didn't help. I think the PC version is set up different than the version for the Mac because when I look in the folder with all the styles, there are no duplicates-just when I open up PSE itself. Puzzling. Judy

• 2 months later...

Have always used a PC and have PSE5 on it. I taught myself, it works fine and is easy, though I don't do to many lo's. My dd just sent me her 1 yr old Mac which I'm trying to figure out. I put on the trial version of PSE8 and can't figure it out at all. Can't even get a LO from it. Can I put my PSE5 for Windows onto the Mac? I've been reading about all the problems with version 8. If I don't keep my PC I'll be in trouble.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lynn

Hi mrh! Welcome to the World of Mac. I don't think that I can answer your question about putting PSE5 for Windows on the Mac although if it's an Intel Mac, you should be able to.

As for doing a layout on PSE8, if you give me a bit more detail into what all the issues are that you are having regarding using PSE8 on the Mac, maybe I can help. I have PSE8 working fine now so just post what you are trying to do and I will do my best to answer your questions!

Also, if you could tell me what kind of Mac you have and the operating system you are running that might help me too. To find that out, just go to the Menu Bar and there you will see an apple icon-click on it and a drop down menu will appear and highlight About This Mac. There you will see what operating system you have and what type of Mac. Is it a laptop or a desktop Mac?

I have been using a Mac forever and I hope I can help you learn your way around a Mac! Judy

I'm still plugging away learning my Mac. It's MacBook Pro OS 10.6 laptop. Still using 30 day trial version of PSE8 with a week left. All the Boutique things I purchased from SG are on my PC. Can I put them on my Mac? I sure can't afford to purchase everything again. ow does that work?

Thanks for any help.

Lynn (mrh)

Hi again-you have a Mac like mine it sounds like. You should be able to use the same things on a Mac or a PC. Where you put them though I think is a big difference between a Mac and a PC. I am trying to think through how best it would be to move things from your old computer to your new one.......... Maybe someone that uses both operating systems could chime in since I am not at all familiar with a PC. If you can put those Boutique things on a CD that would make it easy to transfer them. Start with just the asl stuff until you get it all figured out. Once you have them on the CD then insert the CD into your Mac. Then follow what I have below. If you get confused, please don't hesitate to write back and I will guide you further. You can do it! Judy PS-I meant to add that everything you purchased from ScrapGirls will work on either system-the only things that would not be compatible if it were for a different Photoshop or for Lightroom, etc. I can't think of anything that is operating-system-specific. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, what you want to do is:

Highlight the style and then go to Edit up on the Finder--->and click on Copy (or do the keyboard shortcut of Command C).

If you have PSE open, close it.

1. Open up the Library that is in your hard drive-NOT the Library on your Home Folder (icon of a house). That's right, you have 2 Libraries on your Mac. Click on The Finder down in your Dock, it's the blue icon with a smiling face. Once that is open look at the list on the left. You will see several items listed. There could be 4 categories: Devices, Shared, Places, Search For. Look under Devices and you will see your hard drive listed-mine is just called Hard Drive, not sure what yours is named. Highlight that and you will then see a list and the one you want is a folder called Library. Now go to Step 2.

3. Choose Adobe

5. Click on the folder 6.0

7. Then en_US

9. Then layer styles

Archived