Recommend A Portable Ehd To Use With My 64 Bit Vista Laptop, Please

aligator

Unfortunately WD is one of the least reliable. (DH is a network/hardware geek and would never buy one!) We have had good luck with my Iomega, but DH drools over the LaCie. We also saw an Hitachi at Costco that we are considering giving a try. It was an amazing 1 TB drive for only $85. We could find nothing bad about it, but then we are always cautious with the "you get what you pay for" always in mind. I hope I've helped instead of adding to the confusion.

I've had a Seagate (100 GB) for a year and a half, and just purchased another Seagate (500GB). So far, so good, but I duplicate everything on another computer's hard drive, anyway.

I worked in the disk drive industry for 18 years, designing, testing, and fabricating magnetic recording materials for disk drives. They are an amazing technology, but there are SO many tight tolerances and high speeds involved. So backup to a duplicate or DVD or something else is ALWAYS, ALWAYS a good idea!

P.S. The warranties vary a LOT on the drives I considered this weekend. At least get a decent warranty, so you can get a replacement if it fails prematurely.

I have 2 seagates ... a 320GB and a 1TB. Both are sold as internal 3.5" drives and I purchased external cases for them. Both are 7200RPM. I haven't had any problems with either. The 320 is probably 2 years old and the 1TB is probably about 6 or 7 months old.

I buy internal HDs because generally they're cheaper then ones marketed as EHDs and sometimes they come with better warranties. Both of mine came with 5 year warranties.

2 years ago I paid about $100 for the 320. I paid about $120 for the 1TB mid 2008.

I alos have 2 seagates both externals the one is a back up of my back, (tiny particial back up) I am looking forward to one day getting a internal 1 Gig HD thou, Question BarbaraC would I have to change my memory with getting a new internal hard drive?

Archived