6 replies to this topic

#1 Bellalea

Bellalea

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:21 PM

First let me clarify that I'm new at using an EHD for backing up my files so I have no idea if I'm using it correctly.I have a few questions.

I bought a Hitachi EHD last Spring ( because the sales person said it was a good one) and initially did a full backup of my system.Since then I've only done incremental backups where I'm only backing up what's new.
Should I be doing a full backup more often ?

I thought it was maybe time to do a full backup again, although I must confess I don't understand why it's needed.Why not just always do an incremental backup?

I always opt for the 'Advanced' option where I could chose which files I'm backing up. I try to backup in stages so that it cuts down on the time it takes to complete. For example, I did a full backup of my photos the other night by setting the backup to start when I went to bed. It took 3 or 5 hours to complete (can't remember which). Anyway, a long time!
Is this the best way to handle each backup , where you do it in smaller sections? Wouldn't it take forever if I tried to backup everything at once?

When I had sucessfully backed up my photos, I decided to backup my scrapbooking supplies next. I did everything as usual but when I get to the window that has the progress bar, poof- the window closes before anything is backed up.When I looked for the backup folders for that session, the folders are there, but they are empty.
After multiple attempts at trying a backup of my scrapbooking folder, I gave up and tried backing up my C drive. That worked no problem.
I checked, and there's plenty of room still left on the EHD.I just can't figure out why the backup of the scrapbooking folder won't work.
Can anyone suggest a solution?

Apologies for the long post and multiple queries!
Thanks in advance! Novella

#2 Vaughnde

Vaughnde

Quietly Crochetin' and Scrappin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,085 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

I cannot help you with this question Novella but I can bump it up for others who have more knowledge to see. I hope you can get the answers that you need.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My SG Gallery My Blog I scrap with PSPX1

#3 Bellalea

Bellalea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for your response Vaughnde. My computer does the craziest things :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention in my original post that my scrapbooking folders and photo folders are on my D drive, in case that makes any difference. I'm using Windows XP on a pc.

#4 sunnie2004

sunnie2004

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 10,774 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am me nothing more nothing less!

Laurie in Pa took my photo for my photo! TY!!

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

I never do a complet back up that is why we have a restore disk or a restoration files IMO All I ever do is back up my pics my adobe stuff and my scrap files, ok some important documents or tuts. I guess I am no help. So sorry
Posted ImagePosted Image
My blog I play with pscs3 !!!
over 5055 gallery comments left!! Imagine I did this stuff

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Reminiscing

Reminiscing

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  • Personal Statement:aspiring photographer and family historian

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

I'm about to get an external hard drive so I'm going to be watching this thread.

gallery_6765_2488_1918.png
BLINKIES_SpeedScrap.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
I use a Canon Rebel T1i and PSE10.
my photos and layouts

#6 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,425 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

We do a full system back-up every month, and incremental ones-- well, I'm not quite sure how often since I didn't set it up. Ours backs up to an internal hard drive, and I do a duplicate back- up of my photos and scrapbook stuff onto 3 different EHD's. I also have DVD back-ups for most of my stuff. I'm way behind on those though. We also keep a full back-up on a hard drive off-site (we use the safe deposit box.) An online back-up service like Carbonite or Mozy works for this too. The goal is to try to have your files in at least 3 places, one off site. My family thought we were nuts until my brother had a fire. Oh, and don't forget to back up your fonts!

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

Scrap10-Blinkie.gif

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#7 Bellalea

Bellalea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

We do a full system back-up every month, and incremental ones-- well, I'm not quite sure how often since I didn't set it up. Ours backs up to an internal hard drive, and I do a duplicate back- up of my photos and scrapbook stuff onto 3 different EHD's. I also have DVD back-ups for most of my stuff. I'm way behind on those though. We also keep a full back-up on a hard drive off-site (we use the safe deposit box.) An online back-up service like Carbonite or Mozy works for this too. The goal is to try to have your files in at least 3 places, one off site. My family thought we were nuts until my brother had a fire. Oh, and don't forget to back up your fonts!

So when you do a full backup every month, do you do everything at once? On my backup system I have 4 options:
1.Photos, Videos, Music
2.Personal Documents
3.Advanced Documents
4.Schedule Backup

I chose Advanced.Then I select a folder or a set of folders (eg. Photos) and back that up. When that's finished(about 3-5hrs. later), I move on to the next set of folders.
Is this the best way to do it? Doesn't your EHD eventually get full?

So many questions! So little brain :monstercry:

Thanks to all who have replied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users