Back Up Problems

First let me clarify that I'm new at using an EHD for backing up my files so I have no idea if I'm using it correctly.I have a few questions.

I bought a Hitachi EHD last Spring ( because the sales person said it was a good one) and initially did a full backup of my system.Since then I've only done incremental backups where I'm only backing up what's new.

Should I be doing a full backup more often ?

I thought it was maybe time to do a full backup again, although I must confess I don't understand why it's needed.Why not just always do an incremental backup?

I always opt for the 'Advanced' option where I could chose which files I'm backing up. I try to backup in stages so that it cuts down on the time it takes to complete. For example, I did a full backup of my photos the other night by setting the backup to start when I went to bed. It took 3 or 5 hours to complete (can't remember which). Anyway, a long time!

Is this the best way to handle each backup , where you do it in smaller sections? Wouldn't it take forever if I tried to backup everything at once?

When I had sucessfully backed up my photos, I decided to backup my scrapbooking supplies next. I did everything as usual but when I get to the window that has the progress bar, poof- the window closes before anything is backed up.When I looked for the backup folders for that session, the folders are there, but they are empty.

After multiple attempts at trying a backup of my scrapbooking folder, I gave up and tried backing up my C drive. That worked no problem.

I checked, and there's plenty of room still left on the EHD.I just can't figure out why the backup of the scrapbooking folder won't work.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Apologies for the long post and multiple queries!

Thanks in advance! Novella

Thanks for your response Vaughnde. My computer does the craziest things :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention in my original post that my scrapbooking folders and photo folders are on my D drive, in case that makes any difference. I'm using Windows XP on a pc.

I never do a complet back up that is why we have a restore disk or a restoration files IMO All I ever do is back up my pics my adobe stuff and my scrap files, ok some important documents or tuts. I guess I am no help. So sorry

We do a full system back-up every month, and incremental ones-- well, I'm not quite sure how often since I didn't set it up. Ours backs up to an internal hard drive, and I do a duplicate back- up of my photos and scrapbook stuff onto 3 different EHD's. I also have DVD back-ups for most of my stuff. I'm way behind on those though. We also keep a full back-up on a hard drive off-site (we use the safe deposit box.) An online back-up service like Carbonite or Mozy works for this too. The goal is to try to have your files in at least 3 places, one off site. My family thought we were nuts until my brother had a fire. Oh, and don't forget to back up your fonts!

We do a full system back-up every month, and incremental ones-- well, I'm not quite sure how often since I didn't set it up. Ours backs up to an internal hard drive, and I do a duplicate back- up of my photos and scrapbook stuff onto 3 different EHD's. I also have DVD back-ups for most of my stuff. I'm way behind on those though. We also keep a full back-up on a hard drive off-site (we use the safe deposit box.) An online back-up service like Carbonite or Mozy works for this too. The goal is to try to have your files in at least 3 places, one off site. My family thought we were nuts until my brother had a fire. Oh, and don't forget to back up your fonts!

So when you do a full backup every month, do you do everything at once? On my backup system I have 4 options:

1.Photos, Videos, Music

2.Personal Documents

3.Advanced Documents

4.Schedule Backup

I chose Advanced.Then I select a folder or a set of folders (eg. Photos) and back that up. When that's finished(about 3-5hrs. later), I move on to the next set of folders.

Is this the best way to do it? Doesn't your EHD eventually get full?

So many questions! So little brain :monstercry:

Thanks to all who have replied.

Archived