Organizing Files On A Mac

KatePD2SLO

Ok, I have recently become addicted to this thing we call scrapbooking. Because of this, I have amassed something like 2000 items to do said scrapbooking with. I really need some way to manage these. I am on a mac and am contemplating a new, second library in iPhoto specifically for this as it would allow me to tag each item and sort it however I wish and make it searchable. Only downside is, whatever library was opened last with iPhoto is the one that is available in the other programs you have open that connect with iPhoto. Therefore, if it was scrapbook items, I can't get to my photos and vis versa without opening and closing iPhoto. I currently have everything organized by collection and then I have alias of each item that are organized by subcategory, ie Paper, Element, Overlay, Alphabet, etc. But due to the mass amounts of aliases, it is slowing down the opening process by....a.....lot. And my macbook pro is the fastest one currently out. Anybody have any suggestion for scrapbook "clip art" management (for lack of a better term)? Is there a software for this? Or a feature of something I already have that I don't know about? HELP! I can't stand the disorganization!

I am looking at Picassa right now. My other idea is to just dump it into my regular iPhoto library and create Smart Albums by theme or kind of item, like paper, frames, ribbons, etc.

Some people use programs but, honestly, I've found it easiest to just organized the files in the "Ro method" (folders and subfolders for different types of elements and then subdivided for colors). Then you can go to the folder you want and there's less to wade through each time.

So I've downloaded Picasa and I actually REALLY like it. One problem. Kind of a big one. I can't drag and drop items from Picasa into my scrapbooking application or any application for that matter..... is it just me? Is there some setting I don't know about?

Hi There I am using picasa as well and am loving it!! They have just upgraded the system and it works so well with me and my mac. It is taking me an eternity to get things sorted the way I like but boy it is superb when its sorted. I was using a system called shoebox and it was really good until the system broke down and failed on me and many others and the makers of the system just aren't backing up so I went to Picasa about a month ago and although I'm still organising away I am totally thrilled with how it all works and the tagging and recalling and everything.

Now for your problem , the good news is yes you can open it straight into your scrapping application, the bad news is I don't know how to tell you how to do it!

It is all in the setting up at the beginning. I just click on the piece to be opened then right click and it gives me the option to open it into CS3.

This may bump to the top and someone else with the clever computer know how might be able to explain. If not get back to me and I will hunt out how I did it for you.

Thanks so much for all the tips and suggestions, but alas I am still having no luck. I see how you got it to open it in Adobe. It automatically makes that an ability when you right click. However, it is really only other "photo editor" programs it allows that for like preview and hp photo something or other. I want something that works with all applications. Like iPhoto. Which has me considering doing it that way, where I sort it with iPhoto because it would be automatically integrated with all my programs. No fuss, no muss. What bothers me most is that apparently, in Picasa for Windows you CAN drag and drop across applications. WEIRD!

You can tag items using finder on a mac...

You highlight the item and right click (or control+click) and go to the Get Info option... there is a place for "spotlight comments"... you can add a tag there. However, I don't typically use this because all the stuff from scrap girls typically has a great descriptive file name and just by doing a general search, I can get really good results.

HTH! Sorry Picasa isn't working out... I've tried it too.

You can tag items using finder on a mac...

You highlight the item and right click (or control+click) and go to the Get Info option... there is a place for "spotlight comments"... you can add a tag there. However, I don't typically use this because all the stuff from scrap girls typically has a great descriptive file name and just by doing a general search, I can get really good results.

So funny you mention this! I am right in the middle of doing that with automator so that I can do more than one t a time! Thanks!

Archived