Enough Is Enough ...

catinkeri

Firstly - apologies if I offend anyone. I certainly do not mean to do that, but there comes a point in time when someone has to take a stand! Someone HAS to stand up on their orange box - or if they don't have an orange box a wooden box of somesorts that would hold one's weight without breaking and causing even more of a scene!!

But I digress!

I am here - I am standing on my newly mended, heavily reinforced wooden box and I AM TAKING A STAND!! Oh yes!! Someone has to do it, and since everyone else seems to be burying their heads in the sand and pretending not to notice (I can see you all, you know, from my very high, reinforced box!!), it is I that will do something about it.

I have been part of this wonderful world of SG for several years now. It started slowly - receiving the newsletters each day and browsing through them and reading them. I understood the tutorials, what's more, I could follow them and actually achieve what I was meant to?!?! The muses made me feel like I wasn't the only one out there with a few things weighing heavily on my shoulders, there were other 'real people' out there as well. I smiled as I read the newsletter. I found my mornings hadn't started until I read my newsletter and I was getting to know the people behind the stories.

The next step - going to the MB to read what posts I could. The friendliness had to be a farce, a pure facade to lure the unknowing into the wicked web. Then ... I joined the MB and posted!! Responses ... oh yes, I received many responses to my 'Hi, I'm new Here' post! Another ploy to suck me in! These weren't insincere responses, they were genuine responses from people who really took the time to look at my LO's and listen to my blathering on!

Slowly but surely I found myself spending more time on the MB (or is it 'in' the MB ... I'm never quite sure of which is grammatically correct?!) getting to know some of the regulars. Before I knew it somehow the boutique beckoned me in and my cart was beginning to topple over with the wonderful things I discovered in there! Yeap - the noose was starting to tighten!

I took a few online courses and met more wonderful people and learned so much more about various things.

It wasn't until I posted my latest LO in the gallery (about an hour ago) that I realised that I was beyond help!

Recently I decided that instead of just posting my LO with the names of the kits/collections that I used, these wonderful designers needed links to their products so that if anyone wanted a quick trip to the gallery, then I would do whatever I could to accommodate them. Surely this is what any other person would do?

Oh No!! This is the final piece of the puzzle, the final straw, the last nail in the coffin, the icing on the cake, the ... well, you get my meaning!!

After finding and pasting the links to the products that I used in my LO (2010 Calendar - May ) I found that upon browsing the boutique to find the said links, I was discovering many more wonderful products that I had somehow overlooked. So they were somehow falling into my shopping cart! It was then that the penny dropped!! I was an addict and I needed an intervention!

So I plan to foil this malicious plan ... I won't be fooled into filling up my cart while posting links ... I'm not sure how to do this yet, but I will find a way, and when I do ... ooooooohhhhhhhooooo ... you'd better believe me, I will, I will, I will ... well, not sure what I'll do but I'll do it!!!!

So all of you fellow sufferers, I am here to set you free - or I will be once I find out how to set myself free! But until then, I'll be here trying to soldier on! Buying kits that call out to me as I pass by them in the boutique. Lonely no more, they now have a home on my hard drive where they will be loved and used time and time again! Yes, I'm an addict, but at least I've done the first part of my recovery - I have admitted my addiction.

Maybe there should be a new reality show ... 'InterSCRAPtion - Crafting Your Way Out of Your Digital Addiction'

*Stepping off my reinforced box as it's starting to sag under the weight and the pressure I have induced onto it.*

Thank you for listening now I'm off to post another LO and fill my cart up even further!! :disappearing-smilie:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL!! You are HILARIOUS, Carole!

Hear, hear!! InterSCRAPtion - the new reality series. :D Although, if truth be told, I definitely don't want a recovery program -- I'm happy just the way I am -- addicted, and everything!

Hooray for you for taking your stand! :)

:rofl:

Oh, Carole, this is too true and too funny. I really like the part about the lonely no more kits that now have a home on your hard drive, where they'll be loved and used!

;)

One other thing--other sites attempting to further this addiction fall short for me--the kits are too confusing, or one has to dive too deep to find anything. Here it's SO easy, and it's all so beautifully presented and organized! Maybe SG could help us by not presenting the kits so beautifully, attractively and professionally, with those large hover previews and so forth... But I can't help myself. Even without making SG my home page, my fingers type "scrap," hit the Down-arrow and Enter so fast in my browser!!!

:P

Oh Carole....at first you made my heart stop cause I thought I was gonna lose you as a friend cause you were gonna leave and by the time I finished reading it, I was laughing so hard, I have tears of joy running down my face.....tears of JOY! Thank you.....you don't know how much I needed that laughter!!!

Maybe we should start a type of support group for our addiction,,,,,and we can chat as we fill our carts LOL

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Carole, I intimately understand your addiction. And, I too, proudly declare my addiction. You are far braver than I. A scrapping intervention would leave me with no choice but to eat chocolate cheesecake all day long. So, for health and sanity reasons, I'll stick with my lovely SG addiction. And, as you've mentioned, my kind and loving heart feels the need to soothe, comfort and download those lonely kits. Loneliness is no stranger to me and I'll be darned if I let a gorgeous kit go unloved.

See, it's all for a great cause.

Hugs,

Carol, you are a stitch! Everything you said is so true, and SO funny! I'd love to write more, but I am still on the road back to Phoenix, from Salt Lake City. Internet is SO flaky on the road, in RV parks.

I will get caught up when we get home!

Carol, you are a stitch! Everything you said is so true, and SO funny! I'd love to write more, but I am still on the road back to Phoenix, from Salt Lake City. Internet is SO flaky on the road, in RV parks.

i will get caught up when we get home!

Yep, me too, needing an interSCRAPtion. So very addicted. but those lovely things in the boutique do need placement in hard drives around the world. So I'll keep on buying like a mad woman on Thursdays and chatting about it all. I hear this is a lifelong addiction and there is no "recovery", only the sharing of the beauty and the stories and the friendships. You're on Carole, take me with you on this journey. LOL.

I was a little nervous to open up and read your post, I thought "Oh, no - what happened?" And I was laughing by the end, thanks for the chuckle.

I am proud to say "welcome to the SG digital addiction club". Your story is one I've heard and felt on a person level in part and, I empathize with you and will stand on that orange, gray, brown, or green box with you any day! Loved you writing, Carole! My first read of the day and it made me chuckle!

rofl ... every single word you wrote was exactly in my heart too...i feel the same way... and i guess there are many of us that could say that...but thanks for putting it in such a great "essay"...i think it should be a journal page...go for it...make it a lo

and btw... you have given me the courage to now tell everyone that last week when i decided i needed to catch up on the folder i have with all my collections that i havent organized with acdsee i decided to check how many folders( collections) i had in my scrapgirls organized folders.... when i saw the number over 700 ( i am away so i cant check the exact number) I couldnt believe it.... oh dear.... how many??? !!!!!! and that doesnt even count the ones still waiting to be organized in my new scrapgirls folder.... so its true ...i too am an addict... a support group would be fine...but only if we can sit around and share ideas on scrapping, photography, photoshop, lightroom and chocolate!

thanks for sharing your thoughts and hope to see your journaling lo

LOL! What a hoot you are :) I too followed the same steps you did and became an addict as well. I LOVE my addiction and not sure if I can or will give it up. As long as my kids (and husband) are feed and happy then I figure I can handle it.

You are so courageous to admit your addiction. I applaud you for taking a stand so that those who have your same troubles can recognize them and understand that they are not alone. I too have a scrappers addiction. My DH has tried to hold an interscraption but to no avail. There have been nights where my children have eaten breakfast for dinner so that I could scrap... I have to admit. I would say it was a sad time in my life. BUT I LOVE IT!!!!! I fight my addiction no more. I embrace it for it is part of who I am and even my husband not agrees its part of me that he will not try to change.

(lol- you had me in stitches! I was so worried :D something was wrong!)

Carole, I love your "rantings"; you expressed the addiction so well. I am here to say that I don't want a recovery program. I am very happy with my addiction, and wouldn't trade it for anything. It keeps me off the streets, out of the bars, LOL, and sometimes it even keeps me away from the snack foods, although not always. Rant on, fellow addict.

Dear Dear Carol

I feel it falls onto me to have to tell you this. As an official member of the "Scrapaholics Anonymous".... there is no cure. There is no way to remove the drug of scrapping once it has fallin into you. It latches itself and becomes a life long addiction.

The method to surviving with it goes like this:

1. admit you have a problem

2. go buy something to make you fill better.

3. keep up organizing your downloads

4. go buy something to make you feel better.

5. scrap a page a week (sg 52) and post it.

6. go buy something to make you feel better.

7. go to a chat and work on the challenge

8. go buy something to make you feel better.

9. keep a kaboodle account of all your wishes

10. Share the account so all your family/friends can buy you something to make you feel better!!!!!!

After 3 years of this insane addiction... that has been the advice that was given out.

Hope you feel better!!!

Angela N.

3 years addicted

I laughed so hard once I figured out the direction this post was headed. And I add my name to the addicted list. :embarrassed003: That must be the reason that I absolutely, positively tell myself that I am not buying something new because there is a sale or it is a Thursday and there are new products or I was looking for a particular embellishment and I found yet another new thing that I didn't already have......and so I give myself a goal of scrapping 'X' number of pages before I purchase one more new thing! You can all about imagine how long that idea lasts. :disappearing-smilie: so thanks for telling it like it is, Carole - I am proud to be right there with you.

Now.....if there was only a blinkie?!?!?!?!

We are all great SGAA people! We can all admit we have a problem, which is the first step in recovery......man....I dont want to recover....off to shop...LOL! Angela is right! I agree with her list especially Items No. 2,4,6,8 and really alot with NO. 10!!!

When I first became addicted, I would have dreams of different techniques to do while at home or at work or driving down the road looking at potholes. I could use my clone tool to fix the potholes. LOL! BUT it gets easier with friends like ours at SG! We are here for each other when we have good days and bad days. LOL!

:hit-head-with-hammer:

Guest JessicaLeigh

I must really be new because I did not know it was an addiction, I just thought it was genetic and the gene was turned on when I found SG. Hmmmm, may need to do a scientific test on the old DNA to see what is up....well, not at the moment cause I got to drive the buggy down the mountian (in the rain) do to a couple of downloads. I will check into that DNA test when I get back home. (good thing The DSO (sir Markus) put the top and doors back on the buggy for the rain))!

You are too funny, but you said it so well - I, however am enjoying this particular addiction and don't plan to go into recovery anytime soon and if anyone tries to do an intervention with me, well, they will have a big fight on their hands. DH has already "suggested" that I spend less time on the computer but he gave up on that a long time ago - now he just kind of sighs and does his own thing. I do try very hard not to be on when we are watching a movie together but I do post while watching tv and find that I am quite the multi-tasker - Loving every minute of my addiction here!

Archived